Chinese Democracy was NOT a failure

ManetsBR

It would be great if somebody could verify that 7 million figure. I can't imagine Interscope Chile being overly credible though. In fact I believe their last release was the Chilean miners covering 'Stayin Alive' by the Bee Gees.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? it was in reply to your post and more specifically to what you said about it being pointless so I assumed you'd reply to what I had to say and I was right, you did.

Don't worry about how correct I am. I made a comment about your style of posting cause I saw the irony in you telling me a post of mine was pointless, just like I see the irony now when you tell me to stay on topic. I will if you will.

Your post wasn't pointless, you trying to correct someone that didn't need to be corrected, was. And yeah, let's all believe you assumed I'd reply to your post. :lol:

I didn't try to correct him, I corrected him. The Only thing that's pointless here is debating the question if it was or wasn't pointless to correct him with you.

I assumed you'd reply to my post just like I assume at least half of your posts will contain the word 'awful'. It's not hard to do.

Wrong again. You didn't correct him because he didn't need to be corrected. You tried to, but since there was nothing to correct, you failed.

You couldn't assume that I was going to reply to your post since I didn't make one single post in this thread before you, however, you're now trying to make it look like you did. Pointless again.

As for what I write in my posts, irrelevant. And you're wrong assuming half of my posts contain the world awful, fortunately, I can correct you since you're talkin' about me. ;)

LO Manets, every time you post a sales number it goes up by 1-2 million. Last time you claimed some mailroom guy at UMG Chile, of all places, said it sold 5 million worldwide now it is 7 million. Your number goes up everytime you make a ChiDem sales claim and you have yet to show us any proof of your source.

We have been through his a million times and all proof points to between 3- 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Since you seem to have forgotten here is my logic one more time.

Thanks to Use Your Delusion 1 on MYGNR for these numbers

Chinese Democracy Sales, VERY DETAILED

Hello all, in my spare time I am compiling a sales record for all GN'R albums and thought I share with you my findings on Chinese Democracy. If your nation isn't represented and you know the numbers please post and I'll add to the list . On the left is the number that has been confermed by the recording assoication of that country and in brackets the certification. On the right is estimated sales. This is worked out by merely viewing the next certification number and then meeting halfway, for example the Netherlands has a certified 30,000 albums sold, but the sales figure is above that as the album was certified for the 30,000 sales very soon after Chinese Democracy's release. The next certification (Platinum) is 50,000 sales, but the album hasn't reached that, so therefore the sales are somewhere inbetween hence the 30-50,000 estimate, approx 40,000 if you average it out. If any of these figures are wrong (and I'm sure some are, for example I am suprised not one country has given CD a X2 Platinum certification) then please tell me and I'll change the list. I hope to have the GN'R total sales of all albums out in a couple of weeks, although some albums such as Live Era are taking time to track down in terms of firgures.

Please note that in some cases the estimation may be below the actual figures by someway as some cerficiations are only released very sparodically so if anything this is a conservative estimate

Country/Sales Confermed/Certification/Sales Estimated
Netherlands: 30,000+ shipped (GOLD), 30-50,000 sales
Malaysia; 7,500+ shipped (GOLD) 7,5-15,000 sales
Hungary; 5,000+ shipped (GOLD) 5-10,000 sales
Indonesia; 35,000+ shipped (GOLD) 35-70,000 sales
Taiwan; 15,000+ shipped (GOLD) 15-30,000 sales
Columbia; 10,000+ shipped (GOLD) 10-20,000 sales
Thailand; 10,000+ shipped (GOLD), 10-20,000 sales
Greece; 6,000+ shipped (GOLD) 6-12,000 sales
Denmark; 10,000+ shipped (GOLD) 10-20,000 sales
Czech Republic; 12,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 12-24,000 sales
Romania; 10,000 sales ?
South Africa; 40,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 40-80,000 sales
New Zealand; 15,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 15-25,000 sales
Austria; 20,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 20-30,000 sales
Brazil; 40,000+ shipped (GOLD) 40-80,000 sales
Italy; 60,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 60-120,000 sales
Switzerland; 30,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 30-60,000 sales
Australia; 70,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 80-120,000 sales
Sweden; 20,000+ shipped (GOLD) 20-40,000 sales
Ireland; 15,000+ shipped (PLATINUM) 15-45,000 sales
Japan; 100,000+ shipped (GOLD) 125-225,000 sales
Singapore; 5,000+ shipped (GOLD) 5-10,000 sales
UK; 300,000+ Shipped (PLATINUM), 300-400,000 sales
USA; 1,000,000 shipped (PLATINUM), 700,000+ sales
Canada; 240,000+ shipped (X3 PLATINUM) 240-320,000 sales
Europe; 1,000,000+ certified (PLATINUM) 1-1.2 mllion sales
Germany; 100,000+ shipped (GOLD) 125-150,000 sales
France; 50,000+ shipped (GOLD) 50-100,000 sales
Argentina; Chinese Democracy; 40,000+ shipped (PLATINUM), 40-80,000 sales
Finland; 10,000+ shipped (PLATINUM), 12,500 sales
Mexico; 60,000+ shipped (PLATINUM), 60-100,000 sales....... thanks curmudgeonrose
Norway; 40,000+ shipped ( PLATINUM), 40-60,000 sales.......thanks spirt 83
Poland; 25,000+ shipped (PLATINUM), 25-40,000 sales.....thanks Ioko
The Vatican 6+ shipped (THE BENEDICTIAN XVI PLATINUM).....thanks Birdcatcher
UPDATE: Outside of the countries above the music industry from the rest of the world contributes to around 8.5-9.5% of album sales. Hence I will add 9% on the combined sales of above to get a approximate figure for Chinese Democracy's true worldwide sales.

Total Sales (including extra 9%):
2,881,250 sales (approx), so roughly speaking CD sold just under 3 million copies

and here is my logic

According to this article in Billboard Chidem had sold 2.6 million Worldwide as of February 2009 so in order to have sold have sold 5 million units it would have had to have sold another 2.4 million units at an average of 66K units sold a month for the last 36 months. To have sold 6 million copies it would have had to sell 94.4K units a month...If it sold that many copies each month it would have stayed near the top of the charts in many of these countries yet the only reappearance on the charts I know of is when Best Buy put it on sale for $1.99 and it sold 3500 units the first week to get back into the Billboard 200 for one week and thenn it disappeared again...

The album came out in the United States as a Best Buy retail exclusive and debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 261,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. To date, it has sold 537,000 copies in the States, far fewer than the 1.3 million that Best Buy bought upfront, according to the Wall Street Journal. But the album has sold 2.6 million copies worldwide, according to Universal -- a number that counts only retail purchases -- and the company plans to start promoting another single soon.

http://www.billboard...interview.shtml This is now a dead link unfortunately.............

So I call bullshit on the 5-6 million units sold worldwide..until someone provides citation from a reliable source it appears it sold about 3 million copies worldwide to date.....don't agree? prove me wrong........

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/10778-a-49-years-old-fatass/page__st__20__gopid__130399#entry130399

Edited by classicrawker

Huh? it was in reply to your post and more specifically to what you said about it being pointless so I assumed you'd reply to what I had to say and I was right, you did.

Don't worry about how correct I am. I made a comment about your style of posting cause I saw the irony in you telling me a post of mine was pointless, just like I see the irony now when you tell me to stay on topic. I will if you will.

Your post wasn't pointless, you trying to correct someone that didn't need to be corrected, was. And yeah, let's all believe you assumed I'd reply to your post. :lol:

I didn't try to correct him, I corrected him. The Only thing that's pointless here is debating the question if it was or wasn't pointless to correct him with you.

I assumed you'd reply to my post just like I assume at least half of your posts will contain the word 'awful'. It's not hard to do.

Wrong again. You didn't correct him because he didn't need to be corrected. You tried to, but since there was nothing to correct, you failed.

You couldn't assume that I was going to reply to your post since I didn't make one single post in this thread before you, however, you're now trying to make it look like you did. Pointless again.

As for what I write in my posts, irrelevant. And you're wrong assuming half of my posts contain the world awful, fortunately, I can correct you since you're talkin' about me. ;)

I did correct him. He said they wouldn't sell more and I said he had no way of knowing that. I assumed you'd reply to my post cause that was in reply to what you said about my previous one.

Not trying to make it look like I did, cause I did. Gotta agree with you though: does feel like this conversation is pointless.

Again, the only reason I brought your posts up is cause I felt like there was irony there with the whole pointless and staying on topic thing.

Maybe it's not half of your posts, but if it's not, it's pretty damn close. I don't need to assume cause I've read a lot of them since I visit this forum daily and you post a lot.

Correct me as much as you like, just make sure you know what you're talking about beforehand.

Edited by Rovim

But you're forgetting the post he replied to. An assumption cannot be corrected, he used "would" to contradict what other user assumed. You, on the other hand, corrected him by saying he had no way of knowing that, which is pointless since you don't know that either, and probably will never know, since it's the past.

Actually I didn't forget anything. You are just being technical for the sake of being technical. He stated they wouldn't sell more and that wasn't possible to know. I knew I have no way of knowing that and I wanted to let him know that he didn't have any way of knowing that either.

He stated, no, he replied to a post saying that "they would have sold more" with "no, they wouldn't". None of them are correct, none of them are incorrect. Why? Because both of them are assuming what would have happened not what is going to happen.

But you're forgetting the post he replied to. An assumption cannot be corrected, he used "would" to contradict what other user assumed. You, on the other hand, corrected him by saying he had no way of knowing that, which is pointless since you don't know that either, and probably will never know, since it's the past.

Actually I didn't forget anything. You are just being technical for the sake of being technical. He stated they wouldn't sell more and that wasn't possible to know. I knew I have no way of knowing that and I wanted to let him know that he didn't have any way of knowing that either.

He stated, no, he replied to a post saying that "they would have sold more" with "no, they wouldn't". None of them are correct, none of them are incorrect. Why? Because both of them are assuming what would have happened not what is going to happen.

Yes, I get that it's in the past, and so both of them are wrong, but his reply implied that he knew they wouldn't sell, it was worded like he knew they would't, it was a statement. A wrong one.

I just let him know that he had no way of knowing that.

I did correct him. He said they wouldn't sell more and I said he had no way of knowing that. I assumed you'd reply to my post cause that was in reply to what you said about my previous one.

Not trying to make it look like I did, cause I did.

You didn't correct him, you can't correct someone who can't be corrected 'cause there's nothing to correct. Like I said before, he didn't said or state, he replied to a post that assumed the contrary. You, in your own words, "corrected him", and to correct someone you should have the correct answer, which you don't and will never have. That's what I called pointless -- if you didn't understand what I tried to say.

And before you saw my reply to your post there was no other reply from me, so why or how would you assume that I was going to tell you that you were wrong in trying to correct someone? :lol:

Again, the only reason I brought your posts up is cause I felt like there was irony there with the whole pointless and staying on topic thing.

I can understand that, however, that's not staying on topic.

Maybe it's not half of your posts, but if it's not, it's pretty damn close. I don't need to assume cause I've read a lot of them since I visit this forum daily and you post a lot.

Wrong again. Your second assumption of what my posts contain is false. Also, it has nothing to do with the discussion.

Correct me as much as you like, just make sure you know what you're talking about beforehand.

I do feel the irony in that. That's basically what I tried to say to you 15 posts before but you wouldn't get it. :lol:

Yes, I get that it's in the past, and so both of them are wrong, but his reply implied that he knew they wouldn't sell, it was worded like he knew they would't, it was a statement. A wrong one.

I just let him know that he had no way of knowing that.

Why wrong? It's an assumption. They have the right to think that CD would have or would have not sold more or less. What is wrong is what you tried to do, correct someone.

Nosaj Thing: It wasn't just a reply, cause he stated it as fact: they wouldn't sell. I just pointed out (or corrected whatever you want to call it) that he had no way of knowing that.

You said twice that you don't use the word 'awful' in half of your posts or close to that. We can just agree that you like that word and use it a lot or you can give me a specific percentage but I prefer we'll just forget about it.

If I didn't get what you were trying to explain, then yes, it would be ironic, but that's just not the case here. I understood everything you talked about, and it's a shame that you thought we needed 15 posts or so to debate it.

They have the right to think whatever they want. I meant it was wrong for them to think they could know about something that never happened and can never happen, so there is no way to know or to prove it one way or the other.

Edited by Rovim

Nosaj Thing: It wasn't just a reply, cause he stated it as fact: they wouldn't sell. I just pointed out (or corrected whatever you want to call it) that he had no way of knowing that.

You said twice that you don't use the word 'awful' in half of your posts or close to that. We can just agree that you like that word and use it a lot or you can give me a specific percentage but I prefer we'll just forget about it.

If I didn't get what you were trying to explain, then yes, it would be ironic, but that's just not the case here. I understood everything you talked about, and it's a shame that you thought we needed 15 posts or so to debate it.

They have the right to think whatever they want. I meant it was wrong for them to think they could know about something that never happened and can never happen, so there is no way to know or to prove it one way or the other.

:rofl-lol:

How in the world would "they wouldn't" be a fact? Dude, do not disappoint me. I thought you were more intelligent than that.

After 2 corrections of what you thought I write in this forum or what my post contain, you're now saying that we should agree that "I like the word and use it a lot or I could give you a specific %", but you're still trying to discuss something that we shouldn't be discussing.

Again, it was an assumption, why would an assumption be wrong? If you didn't correct Axl_morris why would you choose to correct someone else who replied to his assumption with another assumption? Come on, you're just going in circles right now. :shrugs:

Update: It wasn't "they wouldn't sell", it was "they wouldn't have sold" since the other user said "they would have sold". There's a difference there.

How in the world would "they wouldn't" be a fact? Dude, do not disappoint me. I thought you were more intelligent than that.

After 2 corrections of what you thought I write in this forum or what my post contain, you're now saying that we should agree that "I like the word and use it a lot or I could give you a specific %", but you're still trying to discuss something that we shouldn't be discussing.

Again, it was an assumption, why would an assumption be wrong? If you didn't correct Axl_morris why would you choose to correct someone else who replied to his assumption with another assumption? Come on, you're just going in circles right now. :shrugs:

Update: It wasn't "they wouldn't sell", it was "they wouldn't have sold" since the other user said "they would have sold". There's a difference there.

First of all, and no offense to you, but I really don't spend my time thinking about ways to not disappoint you or anyone else lol.

Second: He stated it as fact, He made it seem like there was no assumption, that he knew for a fact they wouldn't have sold any more copies given more promotion and the immediate touring of Chinese.

I would have corrected Axl Morris If I came across his post sooner. He's just as wrong as the guy who replied to him cause they can't KNOW Gn'R would have sold more or sold less. They can just assume.

Is it really me that's going in circles though? Feels like you just won't let go of a specific technicallity and that you're trying to make me see I'm wrong. If that's the case, then I don't think we can move forward, cause I still don't agree with you even though I believe I understood what you were trying to explain the first time you did it.

That last line in your post is true. I stand corrected, but I disagree with everything else that you said.

First of all, and no offense to you, but I really don't spend my time thinking about ways to not disappoint you or anyone else lol.

Second: He stated it as fact, He made it seem like there was no assumption, that he knew for a fact they wouldn't have sold any more copies given more promotion and the immediate touring of Chinese.

I would have corrected Axl Morris If I came across his post sooner. He's just as wrong as the guy who replied to him cause they can't KNOW Gn'R would have sold more or sold less. They can just assume.

Is it really me that's going in circles though? Feels like you just won't let go of a specific technicallity and that you're trying to make me see I'm wrong. If that's the case, then I don't think we can move forward, cause I still don't agree with you even though I believe I understood what you were trying to explain the first time you did it.

That last line in your post is true. I stand corrected, but I disagree with everything else that you said.

None taken, I didn't want to offend you either.

No. He didn't state anything as a fact, if anything that was how you interpreted his words. I mean, how would "no, Axl_moriss, they wouldn't" be a fact? They can just assume? That's what they did.

Yes, you're the one going in circles. This is not about me talkin' about some "specific technicality", it's about you thinking you were right when you definitely weren't. You trying to correct someone when you didn't have to. At first you thought I said your post was pointless, then I corrected you and you deflected my whole post and ended up saying irrelevant stuff about me or my posts. That's what I call going in circles.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

None taken, I didn't want to offend you either.

No. He didn't state anything as a fact, if anything that was how you interpreted his words. I mean, how would "no, Axl_moriss, they wouldn't" be a fact? They can just assume? That's what they did.

Yes, you're the one going in circles. This is not about me talkin' about some "specific technicality", it's about you thinking you were right when you definitely weren't. You trying to correct someone when you didn't have to. At first you thought I said your post was pointless, then I corrected you and you deflected my whole post and ended up saying irrelevant stuff about me or my posts. That's what I call going in circles.

You didn't offend me man, it's cool. Now let's go in circles some more:

See, I don't get how 'no they wouldn't' can not be a fact to you. It's stated as a fact. Maybe it is the way I interpret it, but that's how I took it: as fact. The man said they wouldn't. Like it was absolute.

They can assume sure, but that's not what they did imo.

Just because you're saying I was wrong, doesn't make it anymore convincing to me. I think my correction was needed.

Yeah, I did say you said my post was pointless but I meant my correction was pointless according to you. You're right about that.

But I didn't deflect shit. Also, one or two comments about your posts cause I detected the irony in that part of our conversation is not going in circles to me. That's just a part of the dynamics between 2 people discussing shit. I don't view it as a big deal.

You didn't offend me man, it's cool. Now let's go in circles some more:

See, I don't get how 'no they wouldn't' can not be a fact to you. It's stated as a fact. Maybe it is the way I interpret it, but that's how I took it: as fact. The man said they wouldn't. Like it was absolute.

They can assume sure, but that's not what they did imo.

Just because you're saying I was wrong, doesn't make it anymore convincing to me. I think my correction was needed.

Yeah, I did say you said my post was pointless but I meant my correction was pointless according to you. You're right about that.

But I didn't deflect shit. Also, one or two comments about your posts cause I detected the irony in that part of our conversation is not going in circles to me. That's just a part of the dynamics between 2 people discussing shit. I don't view it as a big deal.

Like I said before and this is somehow being ignored by you, you misinterpreted his words. See, saying: "They wouldn't sell more" is one thing, which is at the same time a % of probability but he didn't, he replied to someone else's guess on what would have could have happened. An assumption cannot be corrected, since there's no way anyone could possibly know the truth (in this case, truth = fact), so either you assume the same or not. An assumption cannot be a fact either, only an opinion based on what someone thinks or takes for granted. That's what happened, "stumbleine" said "no, Axl_moriss, they wouldn't" in response of what he said: "[CD] would have sold more if it was promoted as well and it was never toured until more than a year later". Wrong? Right? That's not up to you or me to decide, in fact, no one since those are only that; assumptions. Why would you take that as a 'fact'? Only you know.

Then you said that Axl_morris was in fact, wrong as well - which is not true, and why? Same reason I have explained above. When you post in a forum, you don't need to make it very clear that what you're saying is only what you think or your opinion, or in this particular case, your assumption.

I remember you said that you'd have corrected "Axl_morris" had you come across his post earlier, but then, how did you know what "stumbleine" was replying to? :lol: Contradictory, isn't?

LO Manets, every time you post a sales number it goes up by 1-2 million. Last time you claimed some mailroom guy at UMG Chile, of all places, said it sold 5 million worldwide now it is 7 million. Your number goes up everytime you make a ChiDem sales claim and you have yet to show us any proof of your source.

We have been through his a million times and all proof points to between 3- 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Hello all, in my spare time I am compiling a sales record for all GN'R albums and thought I share with you my findings on Chinese Democracy. If your nation isn't represented and you know the numbers please post and I'll add to the list . On the left is the number that has been confermed by the recording assoication of that country and in brackets the certification. On the right is estimated sales. This is worked out by merely viewing the next certification number and then meeting halfway, for example the Netherlands has a certified 30,000 albums sold, but the sales figure is above that as the album was certified for the 30,000 sales very soon after Chinese Democracy's release. The next certification (Platinum) is 50,000 sales, but the album hasn't reached that, so therefore the sales are somewhere inbetween hence the 30-50,000 estimate, approx 40,000 if you average it out. If any of these figures are wrong (and I'm sure some are, for example I am suprised not one country has given CD a X2 Platinum certification) then please tell me and I'll change the list. I hope to have the GN'R total sales of all albums out in a couple of weeks, although some albums such as Live Era are taking time to track down in terms of firgures.

Please note that in some cases the estimation may be below the actual figures by someway as some cerficiations are only released very sparodically so if anything this is a conservative estimate

Romania; 10,000 sales ?

Mexico; 60,000+ shipped (PLATINUM), 60-100,000 sales....... thanks curmudgeonrose

UPDATE: Outside of the countries above the music industry from the rest of the world contributes to around 8.5-9.5% of album sales. Hence I will add 9% on the combined sales of above to get a approximate figure for Chinese Democracy's true worldwide sales.

2,881,250 sales (approx), so roughly speaking CD sold just under 3 million copies

and here is my logic

According to this article in Billboard Chidem had sold 2.6 million Worldwide as of February 2009 so in order to have sold have sold 5 million units it would have had to have sold another 2.4 million units at an average of 66K units sold a month for the last 36 months. To have sold 6 million copies it would have had to sell 94.4K units a month...If it sold that many copies each month it would have stayed near the top of the charts in many of these countries yet the only reappearance on the charts I know of is when Best Buy put it on sale for $1.99 and it sold 3500 units the first week to get back into the Billboard 200 for one week and thenn it disappeared again...

The album came out in the United States as a Best Buy retail exclusive and debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 261,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. To date, it has sold 537,000 copies in the States, far fewer than the 1.3 million that Best Buy bought upfront, according to the Wall Street Journal. But the album has sold 2.6 million copies worldwide, according to Universal -- a number that counts only retail purchases -- and the company plans to start promoting another single soon.

http://www.billboard...interview.shtml This is now a dead link unfortunately.............

So I call bullshit on the 5-6 million units sold worldwide..until someone provides citation from a reliable source it appears it sold about 3 million copies worldwide to date.....don't agree? prove me wrong........

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/10778-a-49-years-old-fatass/page__st__20__gopid__130399#entry130399

You're missing Portugal on that list!

Romania; 10,000 sales ?

and here is my logic

As of April 2011, it had sold 614,000 in the US.

I don't really care that much about sales figures (although it's hilarious how far the "estimates" of your "sources" are apart). Chinese Democracy was a failure to me because it bombed. Reviews were mixed at best when it came out. And in retrospect it get's even less critical acclaim. On top of that it was supposed to relaunch GnR as a band. As an active and exciting musical force. Put the new GnR on the map. Something something trilogy. All it got us was the same shit different day neverending cover tour. Well yippie. I never thought I'd say this, but by now I'd rather have Axl work another 10 years on another album in utter silence.

Oh, but I shouldn't say this. Because the mooching Lebeis family who all decided they'd pretend to be managers slam fans for having opinions.

Yeah, it's great being a GnR fan! You rock Fernandouche! You rock Yoko Beta! Please give us more of whatever you decide to give us!

Edited by username

CD failed in a number of ways: sales figures but especially for not being the amazing album everyone expected. Sure it has a few nice songs on it, even catchy potential good songles like Better and TIL, but at the same time it's simply unjustifiable the imclusion of filller shitty songs like Riqd and Scraped and only beatable listenable others like Shackler's, IRS and Prostitute... In a word: disapointing.