How did you become a GNR fan?

ManetsBR

First time I heard Welcome To The Jungle, I didn't really listen to it... That intro was so incredibly amazing, that I rewinded and listened to it again about 20 times before I actually heard the full song. It was the greatest thing I had ever heard. It definetly changed what music meant to me. That intro was the first peace of music to ever give me a goosebump. Then, I obviously downloaded more Guns N' Roses songs, and that was around the time Chinese Democracy had just leaked, on 2008. I downloaded the album and it was amazing. I had no idea who Axl or Slash or Buckethead were. I didn't care. It was just about the music. And they were all equally amazing to me, the first songs I actually loved, that actually meant something to me. There was no OldGNR or NuGNR, just Guns N' Roses and their amazing songs... Welcome To The Jungle, Catcher In The Rye, Paradise City, Prostitute... All fantastic songs by the same band. Until, on just another sunday after that classic football match we used to play every sunday afternoon, there was this older dude wearing a Guns N' Roses shirt, and I told them about this incredible "new songs" from Guns N' Roses I had downloaded, and he told he had a hard time "digesting" them, because it was not the same band. He said he knew they were good, but there was something in the way that didn't allow him to fully enjoy the music. I didn't understand, and asked him to explain. That was when I found out about the whole Old X Nu drama...Before that, those were the good old days, no Axl or Slash, no OldGNR or NuGNR. Just Guns N' Roses and their music that I loved from the moment I heard.

Edited by ManetsBR

Heard some songs on the radio, liked em, downloaded some of them and others I found on this shitty file sharing program and put them on my shitty little mp3 player, loved them. Friend noticed I was getting into GNR so he burned me a copy of UYI 1, went home and listened to it and it blew me away. This lead to me picking up AFD, the rest is history.

after actually watching original GnR and 2010 performances, I came a fan in early 2011, I loved Axl's performance in the Slash-era and how he still could sing good and have so much energy in the 2010 performances, and I was "discovering songs", first November Rain then I heared Estranged with atention and i loved it, etc, etc. then I was told that they were coming to Chile and I was like OMG, and then I saw Rock in Rio and I was like, damn the show is gonna be shit and blablalba, but the show was very good,

I have a friend who's a massive fan and he would just talk and talk about GnR non-stop. So one day, in an attempt to shut him up, I told him to play me a song of the band's that I would have never heard before. He played me Coma. I was speechless. He then gave me Chinese Democracy after playing me Better, TWAT, Sorry, Prostitute. I took it home that night, tried to upload it to my iTunes but it wouldn't work for some reason. I was so pissed (cause I really wanted to listen to it) that I went and bought it in the iTunes store. Pretty much listened to CD exclusively for a good month, then went back into the GnR archives for more goodies.

This all happened within the last 3, 4 months. I'm super new :awesomeface:

when i was in high-school we had that english language teacher, american guy, he was like 25 years old, with really long hair and overall he looked like a rock star to me. once i asked him what was the most popular american band, and he gave me a cassette with AFD and Lies. he said "their singer sounds like a chicken, so you can keep it". the next day i came to school with red eyes, i didn't sleep at all, i just couldn't stop listening. and then i asked that guy to write down the lyrics for me, and he did. after that i kept bother him with dumb questions like who is mr. brownstone and why they hit the bull's eye every night. he was obviously uncomfortable but he tried to explain everything, he was a good teacher :)

GTA San Andreas

..---:::::::-----------. ::::;;.                                        .'""""""                  ;;   \  ":.                                   .''                          ;     \   "\__.                             .'                            ;;      ;   \\";                           .'                              ;   _____;   \\/                         .'                               :; ;"     \ ___:'.                      .'--...........................    : =   ____:"    \ \                ..-""                               """'  o"""     ;     ; :          .--""  .----- ..----...    _.-    --.  ..-"     ;       ;     ; ;       .""_-     "--""-----'""    _-"        .-""         ;        ;    .-.    .'  .'                      ."         ."              ;       ;   /. |   /-./'                      ."          /           _..  ;       ;   ;;;|  :  ;-.______               /       _________==.    /_  \ ;       ;   ;;;;  ;  / |      """"""""""".---."""""""          :    /" ". |;       ; _; ;;; /"-/  |                /   /                  /   /     ;|;      ;-" | ;';:-  :   """----______  /   /              ____.   .  ."'. ;;   .-"..T"   . '. "  ___            "":   '""""""""""""""    .   ; ;    ;; ;." ."   '--"   ",   __ """  ""---... :- - - - - - - - - ' '  ; ;  ;    ;;"  ."             /. ;  """---___                             ;  ; ;     ;|.""              :  ":           """----.    .-------.       ;   ; ;     ;:                  \  '--__               \   \        \     /    | ;     ;;                   '-..   """"---___      :   .______..\ __/..-""|  ;   ; ;                       ""--..       """--"        m l s         .   ". . ;                              ""------...                  ..--""      " :                                          """"""""""""""""""    \        /                                                                  "------"   

My dad liked Guns N' Roses when I was a kid so I was familiar with the name but not much else.

For my 13th birtday in 1999 I got a stereo and the next day went into the store to buy me an Oasis and a Metallica record. I ended up buying Use Your Illusion II. I didn't know that UYI I existed or anything, I just remember I knew the name and I bought it. Sometimes it seems it was meant to be. Civil War, Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Don't Cry were my first favourtes. I instantly became a fan, bought their entire discography in the next few months and never looked back.

I became a fan a couple months before the Kurt Loder interview and the release of Live Era '87 - '93 so I witnessed the new band from the get go. I had high hopes. I don't anymore.

I remember surfing the internet for hours day in day out, reading ten years old interviews. This was before Wikipedia and YouTube when it was cool to know info about a band, when live videos were gold and VHS was your best friend. I bought t-shirts, badges, shorts, flags, wallets, notebooks and collected hundreds of posters, pictures, etc., I had (and still do!) everything I could get my hands on related to Guns N' Roses. My room looked like an altar. Good times.

Guest Manny Manner

I grew up on Pearl Jam, Nirvana, NIN- really that whole 90's alternative music. I kind of lumped GNR in with bands like Metallica, ACDC, and didn't really give them the credit they deserved until I heard Chinese Democracy as an adult. That's the album that really made me revaluate their music.