Stars Wars 7 to minimalize use of CGI

Guest NGOG

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jul/29/star-wars-episode-vii-cgi

The next Star Wars film will eschew CGI in favour of real locations and models wherever possible, according to Kathleen Kennedy, the film executive in charge of the sci-fi adventure.

The LucasFilm boss made the comments at a Star Wars convention, where she also revealed that composer John Williams would return for the upcoming JJ Abrams-directed Episode VII.

"The conversation we're having all the time now about Episode VII is how much CGI," Kennedy told fans at the Star Wars Celebration Europe convention in Essen, Germany. "We're looking at what the early Star Wars films did; they used real locations with special effects. So [for Episode VII] we're going to find some very cool locations, [and] we're going to end up using every single tool in the toolbox."

Kennedy revealed that the DIY approach adopted by Star Wars fans when designing home-made costumes helped inspire the move. "I was amazed yesterday, looking at what the fans are doing," she said. "Using model makers, using real droids, taking advantage of the artwork that you can touch and feel – we want to do that in combination with CG effects."

Kennedy's comments were well-received by fans at the convention. George Lucas's trilogy of prequel films between 1999 and 2005 were heavily criticised for over-relying on CGI.

Kennedy also revealed that the iconic composer Williams would return to oversee Star Wars: Episode VII. In a clip posted on the Star Wars website, Williams said he expected to weave familiar themes and motifs into the new score. "Of course, I haven't seen the script," the composer told The Hollywood Reporter. "The story is still unknown to me, the new story. But I can't imagine that there will not be some references to the existing stories [which] we know would necessitate … the use of some of the earlier themes."

Kennedy said Abrams and screenwriter Michael Arndt are currently working on "story and character" for the new film. After buying all rights to the series through its acquisition of LucasFilm for $4.05bn, Disney announced a trilogy of new Star Wars films in October, with Lucasagreeing to step aside after more than 35 years in charge. The stars of the original trilogy, Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) and Harrison Ford (Han Solo), have been tipped to return in Star Wars: Episode VII, which is being shot in the UK next year for a 2015 release date.

Edited by NGOG

I think this is the right way to go. Of course, there's nothing more important than a solid script. But having seen Star Trek Into Darkness last night, I can say I'm sure Episode VII is in good hands. I don't know anything about Star Trek, since I've never been a fan of the series, but I had a lot of fun. I thought it was a great movie and while it does have a lot of CGI, it didn't feel fake, which is the problem with the new trilogy. It feels fake.

When I first heard Disney had bought all the rights to Star Wars, I was confused. But now I think JJ Abrams may well be what Star Wars needs. The guy can definitely direct and make entertaining movies, which is what we all want from the next Star Wars I guess. Just give us an entertaining movie with our classic heroes or new heroes, I don't care. But make it great.

I think this is the right way to go. Of course, there's nothing more important than a solid script. But having seen Star Trek Into Darkness last night, I can say I'm sure Episode VII is in good hands. I don't know anything about Star Trek, since I've never been a fan of the series, but I had a lot of fun. I thought it was a great movie and while it does have a lot of CGI, it didn't feel fake, which is the problem with the new trilogy. It feels fake.

When I first heard Disney had bought all the rights to Star Wars, I was confused. But now I think JJ Abrams may well be what Star Wars needs. The guy can definitely direct and make entertaining movies, which is what we all want from the next Star Wars I guess. Just give us an entertaining movie with our classic heroes or new heroes, I don't care. But make it great.

I agree with everything in this post. Star Trek 2 was awesome, best movie I've seen this year so far. I think that, with a script from the guy that wrote Empire Strikes Back, JJ Abrams and minimum CGI, this might be awesome.

I agree with everything in this post. Star Trek 2 was awesome, best movie I've seen this year so far. I think that, with a script from the guy that wrote Empire Strikes Back, JJ Abrams and minimum CGI, this might be awesome.

this

Lucasfilm is a self contained facility and it sounds like they just want to have some continuity going forward from Return of the Jedi.

I heard Hollywood Studios (part of Disney World, not Hollywood CA or Hollywood FL) is going to be revamped to have "Star Wars Land". Supposedly they'd been struggling to get people to the park, so this should change things.

The Star Trek franchise had no problem being rebooted, because it was past all the shows on at the same time, and enough time went by since Undiscovered Country was made.

For Star Wars, the Clone Wars (and upcoming Rebels) series has a new generation growing up on the franchise, at a certain age, will enjoy the Blu Rays, then when these movies are finally out, will have that audience on top of the ones who grew up on both trilogies. 2015 would be a decade since Revenge of the Sith.

It should be interesting to see who else comes back, it's probably not just going to be Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford. I'd bet Ewan McGregor's going to be around and Hayden Christensen (have no idea what he's been in since then).

My big worry is Kathleen Kennedy getting the offer to run Disney and passing the responsibilities of Lucasfilm to someone else.

For JJ Abrams, teaming up with Kathleen Kennedy could mean he gets the scripts Spielberg's getting too old to do, so when they're in between projects, she could be hooking him up with all sorts of cool shit that could mean Oscar wins.

Her connection to Spielberg could also wind up leading to Dreamworks and Disney (including Pixar and Lucasfilm) joining forces on the animation front.

Side note - would David Geffen have been able to be a partner in Dreamworks without GNR money? Doubt it!

this

Ding-ding,-ding we've got the correct answer!