What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

51H65X7mJwL.jpg

Every damn time I watch this ungodly film I think; greatest lead performance of all time, Nicholson in Cuckoo's Nest, Brando in Apocalypse Now, Ledger in The Dark Knight, Ellen Burstyn in The Exorcist, De Niro in Taxi Driver, Al Pacino in The Godfather... this guy is fucking insane because the film IS Daniel Plainview's twisted competition against himself... it's absolute beauty to behold and just has some demented flame of intensity smashing through every fucking second.

It is a great fucking movie. Let's not forget Paul Dano, to me he did an amazing job too.

By the way, Ledger was supporting, not leading in The Dark Knight, and I don't think Brando was leading either in Apocalypse Now.

Brando wasn't. I personally think Hopper outshines everyone in AN.

Yeah sorry I was a little drunk, Sheen or Estivez whatever he was called at the time was brilliant in that, Bale'd never win as Batman even though he plays a superb role that Ledger got to bounce off of. Dano was a revelation, my favourite scene of his is the one where Daniel goes to the church and sees him working his razzmatazz casting the old gal's arthritis out, Day Lewis's face is a damn picture when it shows his reaction!

Saw Gravity last night. Very underwhelming. Maybe I just expected too much :shrugs: I can see it would look great in 3D cinema though.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and had a great time, but I've no desire to revisit it on home video.

Lio, what did you think of the score? To me, it's wonderful.

To be honest I thought the film score was too much, and overused. There were a few scenes I thought would have worked better with just silence. Interstellar had a much better score and also used silence appropriately.

Gone Girl.

It was decent enough.

I shouldn't have read the book first - not to spoil the "surprise" as I figured that out about a chapter into it - but just because of the length of a movie they can't go into depth on all the characters/points that are featured in the book.

But all in all, I enjoyed the movie.

But Oh My Gosh.

I think Affleck's girlfriend in the movie quite possible has the best body of any woman alive on the planet.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and had a great time, but I've no desire to revisit it on home video.

That's because you watch your movies on a effing 15-inch macbook!! :lol:

That's true :lol: Planning on renting Boyhood some time this week, and Gone Girl next week. Thinking of seeing Ex Machina in the cinema this week, but cinema is too damn expensive at £10+ a film. That said, I was thinking about paying £18 to see Interstellar in IMAX a fourth time...

Lio, what did you think of the score? To me, it's wonderful.

I have to admit I didn't really pay much attention to it. I did think there would be more silence, don't know where I got that, I suppose I read it somewhere.

I haven't watched it on a notebook, like Amir, but I think this film really should be seen in 3D, on a big screen. We don't have 3D and just a regular screen.

Finally saw Boyhood. It was OK. Kid was a mopey shit and the sister was the most unlikable character I've seen in a film this year. The liberal political stuff pissed me off, along with the Linklater character philosophising. Thought Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke were good in their roles, though.

Well, I *was* going to watch Boyhood...

But then I decided to watch

JOHN

FUCKING

WICK.

Keanu Reeves + Guns + Lots of Guns = Cinematic Masterpiece.

Somehow the Academy seemed to have missed this one.

I thought it was good but not that great. I fucking despise CGI blood and they didn't know how to use it in this movie.

Well, I *was* going to watch Boyhood...

But then I decided to watch

JOHN

FUCKING

WICK.

Keanu Reeves + Guns + Lots of Guns = Cinematic Masterpiece.

Somehow the Academy seemed to have missed this one.

I thought it was good but not that great. I fucking despise CGI blood and they didn't know how to use it in this movie.

That was one of my few quibbles, the CGI blood. Ah, for the days of squibs. Still, that club scene was amazing, and I laughed a bunch of times throughout the film, like when he had to stop to reload before shooting the guy in the head, or the "fucking pencil" line, or basically most of Nyqvist's lines.

Finally saw Boyhood. It was OK. Kid was a mopey shit and the sister was the most unlikable character I've seen in a film this year. The liberal political stuff pissed me off, along with the Linklater character philosophising. Thought Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke were good in their roles, though.

I think the sister is Linklater's real life daughter. Not sure if she acted before this or since

I think the sister is Linklater's real life daughter. Not sure if she acted before this or since

Yeah, I read that. I didn't think her acting itself was as bad as some made it out to be, it's just that her character was such a spoilt brat that I was wondering why I was wasting my time watching her be an awful being, like whining to her mum after her mum has clearly been physically abused.

Yeah, I read that. I didn't think her acting itself was as bad as some made it out to be, it's just that her character was such a spoilt brat that I was wondering why I was wasting my time watching her be an awful being, like whining to her mum after her mum has clearly been physically abused.

She's infinitely more entertaining than Mason, though. :lol:

Vice - Jeepers, Bruce Willis career is really in the shitter these days.

Spare Parts - the real life story this is based on is so rousing and delightful that as average as the filmaking is, it still manages to hit the mark (or in other words, I cried at the end)

Edited by Angelica

She's appears briefly at the beginning of his film Waking Life

Just saw Ex Machina, great film, really impressive directorial debut from Alex Garland, especially impressive considering it was only a $20 million budget (a fucking Adam Sandler film costs four time as much...). Oscar Isaac was absolutely amazing.

Django Unchained again, this is seriously good then again it's that man Tarantino. I'm quite impressed that Di Caprio, an under appreciated guy (if that's even possible at his supreme level) plays a bit part and adds a significant chunk of dynamism without doing too much except what the plot asks for if that makes sense, it's a nice result to achieve even though it's what he was hired for.