Straight from the mouth of Axl Rose - listen

brown_stone

I think it's partly true. Was watching TWAT from Vegas and you can tell he feel really awkward standing on the side of the stage. At Atlantic City gig he wouldn't run into the tent all the time, he sometimes would just stand behind the curtain or something.

Not true, it's to huff oxygen so he doesn't get criticized for being out of breath like he was after the VMAs. He's been doing it since the 90s, but now he does it almost every song. Sometimes he changes his hat too.

Come on dude, Axl explains why he runs off stage and you still think it is for the reasons you said? He tells you why in this interview but you again spin it to fit your own negative agenda.

Not true, it's to huff oxygen so he doesn't get criticized for being out of breath like he was after the VMAs. He's been doing it since the 90s, but now he does it almost every song. Sometimes he changes his hat too.

Come on dude, Axl explains why he runs off stage and you still think it is for the reasons you said? He tells you why in this interview but you again spin it to fit your own negative agenda.

You believed what Axl said on a national TV interview?! That couldn't have been a more made up answer if Axl tried. We all know the reasons, and I don't know why he's embarrassed by it. But yeah, that was once again another outright lie from Axl Rose. This thread is absolutely pointless.

It's just the truth man, I don't have an agenda. I saw a video awhile back where some guy giving a tour of the backstage area showed off Axl's fancy oxygen/steam inhaler thing. There's a picture of him using it in the 90s. I don't care, if that's what lets him put on 3 hour shows when I see him then fuckin' A, go for it.

I think it's partly true. Was watching TWAT from Vegas and you can tell he feel really awkward standing on the side of the stage. At Atlantic City gig he wouldn't run into the tent all the time, he sometimes would just stand behind the curtain or something.

This is especially true. I've noticed, particularly when Axl's been a guest, as with Neil Young, when it's not his show and he's not in control of it, he seems to feel very akward and a bit naked so to say. I don't blame him, I would too. When it comes time for a solo in these performances with others, I almost cringe because it's so obvious that he doesn't really know what to do but kind of dance around. It's almost as if "I don't know how long this will last or how long I have to keep pretending I'm into it without looking obviously uncomfortable." Again, not a criticism, just an observation, especially when it's not his band.

• Like 1

The oxygen theory makes sense and sounds practical. The drummer of U2 has kept equipment just offstage at every concert for years to make sure his hands receive immediate physical treatment.

Axl tends to write really long verses that are challenging to sing. There's barely a moment to breathe on "Better." If he is getting oxygen, it's no different than a runner or swimmer taking deep, rhythmic breaths prior to a competition.

The oxygen theory makes sense and sounds practical. The drummer of U2 has kept equipment just offstage at every concert for years to make sure his hands receive immediate physical treatment.

Axl tends to write really long verses that are challenging to sing. There's barely a moment to breathe on "Better." If he is getting oxygen, it's no different than a runner or swimmer taking deep, rhythmic breaths prior to a competition.

It is NOT a theory, it is a fact he runs backstage to huff O2. Like The Seeker said above, there is an old picture of him from the 90s and also the backstage tour given in a video few years ago of his O2 equipment in his dressing room. But I also believe what he claims is true too, on being awkward doing nothing just standing there on stage while solos are being played, unlike before in his heyday where he could run everywhere on the whole stage filling his time.

And WHY is this even a new thread? It's like old news (both what he said on the interview and the fact that he uses O2).

Mick Jagger got accused of doing that on the Bigger Bang your as well.

And in Axl's defense, on the UYI tour he'd disappear constantly as well. Mostly to change outfits or do his hair or whatever.

But now that he's out of shape, people link it to oxygen more quickly.

Personally I don't believe it - if he'd get a hit of oxygen now and then he wouldn't do so poorly.

As Tom says, it's an oxygen humidifier.I wonder if they ever switched it to helium...

I also think it's easy for him to go backstage and make setlist changes through the backstage mic instead of going around to each band member going "Seeker" 7 times and possibly fucking it up because they didn't hear him clearly.

I don't know if he needs a humidifier, but it's probably something he was told by a voice coach years ago to do, plus I heard it keeps you from being dehydrated, don't need to drink as much H2O, and basically piss yourself on stage. Oxygen also helps if they're doing shows at different altitudes, but it's not like they're doing many shows in Denver or other high altitude cities.

• Like 1

People make it sound its a bad thing? If he gets oxygen to recover quicker so he can belt out a better 2nd verse of a song then so be it.

Exactly! I have been to my fair share of shows and have seen him go into that tank thing many times. Not always though!

What do you mean not true..? He's not denying anything. He clearly says "everything that needs to be taken care of." I think that includes his own voice. It's a good thing he uses the oxygen.

• Like 1

People make it sound its a bad thing? If he gets oxygen to recover quicker so he can belt out a better 2nd verse of a song then so be it.

Exactly! I have been to my fair share of shows and have seen him go into that tank thing many times. Not always though!

I agree with that. Except when I saw him in 2011 it was ridiculous. He was running offstage EVERY SINGLE TIME he wasn't singing. Like, no matter how long the break. 20 seconds to 2 minutes. That was crazy and very noticeable. Face it, that IS because he's getting older and he needs the oxygen more. Its not bad, but when you kick everyone else out of the band, you become the center of attention, and its even more noticeable when you run off stage every two seconds. As much as I like the current band, I paid to see Axl Rose and he's not even onstage for about 1/3 of the performance.

I agree with that. Except when I saw him in 2011 it was ridiculous. He was running offstage EVERY SINGLE TIME he wasn't singing. Like, no matter how long the break. 20 seconds to 2 minutes. That was crazy and very noticeable. Face it, that IS because he's getting older and he needs the oxygen more. Its not bad, but when you kick everyone else out of the band, you become the center of attention, and its even more noticeable when you run off stage every two seconds. As much as I like the current band, I paid to see Axl Rose and he's not even onstage for about 1/3 of the performance.

How long was that show for? Maybe he was struggling to get through the show and making a lot of setlist changes.

I'm sure when he's under the weather, he has a couple of buckets in his little "fortress", for :vomit:

What do you mean not true..? He's not denying anything. He clearly says "everything that needs to be taken care of." I think that includes his own voice. It's a good thing he uses the oxygen.

Exactly Lies They Tell you summed this up perfectly.