The World's End

RussTCB

Loved it. Although I still think Shaun Of The Dead is the best film of the bunch, I think The World's End is the funniest.

Anyone think Simon Pegg had a little bit of Pirates-era Johnny Depp in him at times? I specifically thought that in the last 15-20 mins...

Also, I for some reason found it hilarious that now both people who've played Bilbo Baggins have also played a robot :lol:

Loved it. Although I still think Shaun Of The Dead is the best film of the bunch, I think The World's End is the funniest.

Anyone think Simon Pegg had a little bit of Pirates-era Johnny Depp in him at times? I specifically thought that in the last 15-20 mins...

Also, I for some reason found it hilarious that now both people who've played Bilbo Baggins have also played a robot :lol:

I agree that Shaun is still the best. I was telling my wife on the way home that I thought this one was a lot closer to Fuzz than Shaun, but I liked it more than Fuzz over all. I agree that it's the funniest. There seemed to be more outright jokes mixed in with the extremely dry stuff I liked from Shaun.

To be honest, I've never been a massive Pegg fan (Big Train aside) but I got dragged along to see this by the missus and I have to say I actually really enjoyed it. As silly as you'd expect but the jokes never really wear thing. Excellent 90s soundtrack too!

I love how it's such a mindless plot - it would've been terrible if anyone else made it. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when the movie was getting pitched to studios :popcorn:

Could not agree more about it being view differently if it were anyone else. And yeah, I bet that meeting was something special. When they left the room, I bet the execs were like "Ok. Are they coming back to pitch the real idea now?"

I'm surprised at how much this is being promoted in the US. Shaun and Hot Fuzz weren't really promoted over here, were they?

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced in the late 00s.

I've been surprised by the buzz and promotion as well and you're right, neither of the first two were promoted anywhere close to this.

To be honest, I've never been a massive Pegg fan (Big Train aside) but I got dragged along to see this by the missus and I have to say I actually really enjoyed it. As silly as you'd expect but the jokes never really wear thing. Excellent 90s soundtrack too!

I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I have to say my wife has drug me to MANY movies that I thought "Well... I needed a nap anyway" but I ended up enjoying them lol

Saw it about a month ago when it came out here in the UK, I really enjoyed it until the last 10/15 minutes.

I personally felt it was the weakest of the trilogy overall but it still had it moments. Think that might have been due to the huge hype surrounding it.

My order of preference for the series is Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and The World's End.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was pretty good. Never saw Hot Fuzz. Didn't know it was a trilogy, really?

Also, I didn't get why he was killing humans at the end and whatnot. Maybe I just didn't get it. Anyone want to explain it to me?

The connecting link of the films is Cornetto ice cream makes a brief appearance in each film. It's unofficially called the Three Flavours Trilogy.

Thought it was pretty good. Never saw Hot Fuzz. Didn't know it was a trilogy, really?

Also, I didn't get why he was killing humans at the end and whatnot. Maybe I just didn't get it. Anyone want to explain it to me?

The connecting link of the films is Cornetto ice cream makes a brief appearance in each film. It's unofficially called the Three Flavours Trilogy.
Or just the cornetto trilogy, red (strawberry) for blood in the first, blue (chocolate/nut) for the police and green (mint) for aliens.

Yeah, I looked up the trilogy thing, I understand that.

Still don't understand why he was killing humans at the end of the movie though.

I need to watch it again, but I think the overall idea was that we can't be trusted as a race. That if we were replaced by the blanks, everything would be peaceful.

Gary was at the end. It was him and a small gang of Blanks, and he went to the "bar" and started a fight. Maybe he wasn't going out of his way to kill them, but it seemed like he was ready to.

Spoilers.

Ahh, yes! Seems like he would have stopped at nothing once he got the idea to do the 10 barmageddon again! Or was it about lost admirers?

Gary's the same guy that killed his younger self while probably (or actually depicted) thinking he wouldn't trade where he was at for anything.

That damned ego of some people!

Gary was at the end. It was him and a small gang of Blanks, and he went to the "bar" and started a fight. Maybe he wasn't going out of his way to kill them, but it seemed like he was ready to.

The film makes it clear that Gary King is a dick. The bar names foreshadow things that happen later in the film and by the end Gary has become "The Famous Cock." If after "The World's End" he had've changed completely and became a nice guy then he wouldn't have been the same character. He doesn't need to settle down and have a family or excel in business like the other characters because that's not what makes him happy. Despite the apocalyptic ending each of them gets to continue doing what they love and the measure of Gary's growth is that he realised it's not the alcohol that he loves(he orders a water at the end) - it's being on an adventure with his friends.

That was my take on the ending anyway.