Axl's 2013 voice - is it really that bad?

trqster

yes it really is that fucking bad. just awful. go grab a random rock fan and play him that this i love clip or anything else from 2012 or whatever. its horrible. just straight shit.

It depends... I've shown quite a few people (the odd Gn'R "fan") some vids from Philly's 2012 show and also Paradise City from Hellfest '12 and most people were quite impressed by Axl's vocals and unfortunately also by his fat/bloated looks...

Generally speaking though, it's obvious that Axl's voice ain't what it used to be, but imo it's getting better this year, hence this thread.

Okay, I'm putting this one out here as the best YCBM since Philly 2012.

From Nottingham England 2012, Axl comes in late for whatever reason but that doesn't matter. It's not full rasp by any means, but it's not as mickey as it usually is, worth listening too as this song, RQ and PC is what he struggles on these days. Trying to find a better quality video right now.

EDIT: Actually listening back to the philly version, the nottingham sounds better!

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 1

I know most people are tired of waiting for his 2010 voice to come back and probably sick of watching YouTube videos where it's not there yet but it's not like anyone said these videos are perfect. They are just examples of small moments in concert this summer that Axl showed rasp or a more powerful voice on parts of songs he normally hasn't in the past 2 years. Nobody ever mentions how he sings the first 5 songs of every concert perfect for whatever reason.

There's just such little optimism here and maybe that's because of lack of music or having to watch the same YouTube videos over and over again, but it's exciting to hear Axl nail You're Crazy in the Brooklyn video. It's cool to hear paradise city have the rasp back in it. I wish his voice was more consistent but it's not. He's still doing great shows though, and I'm hoping these moments of rasp and power translate into something great for his voice down the line. I don't think it's fair to label his voice as dead though, clearly he's got more to give.

This is a really good point.

There's so much criticism directed at Axl's voice and it's largely because people are naturally comparing to how he sounded in 2010.

I've long wondered whether that the way he was singing in 2010 was starting to cause damage, and he's had to bring the clean vocals back to extend his career. How else do you explain that he obviously still has the rasp, but doesn't use it all the time? People point to his weight, but surely fitness alone can't wholly explain the change back to clean vocals.

At all the 2012-13 shows I got to, his voice was far from perfect, but there were still those moments where he really brought it. He's still going to be able to deliver in the studio for a while yet, should he choose to.

His clean vocals are also a lot stronger now than they used to be. The performances of CITR in Vegas really shined as a result

• Like 3

I know most people are tired of waiting for his 2010 voice to come back and probably sick of watching YouTube videos where it's not there yet but it's not like anyone said these videos are perfect. They are just examples of small moments in concert this summer that Axl showed rasp or a more powerful voice on parts of songs he normally hasn't in the past 2 years. Nobody ever mentions how he sings the first 5 songs of every concert perfect for whatever reason.

There's just such little optimism here and maybe that's because of lack of music or having to watch the same YouTube videos over and over again, but it's exciting to hear Axl nail You're Crazy in the Brooklyn video. It's cool to hear paradise city have the rasp back in it. I wish his voice was more consistent but it's not. He's still doing great shows though, and I'm hoping these moments of rasp and power translate into something great for his voice down the line. I don't think it's fair to label his voice as dead though, clearly he's got more to give.

This is a really good point.

There's so much criticism directed at Axl's voice and it's largely because people are naturally comparing to how he sounded in 2010.

I've long wondered whether that the way he was singing in 2010 was starting to cause damage, and he's had to bring the clean vocals back to extend his career. How else do you explain that he obviously still has the rasp, but doesn't use it all the time? People point to his weight, but surely fitness alone can't wholly explain the change back to clean vocals.

At all the 2012-13 shows I got to, his voice was far from perfect, but there were still those moments where he really brought it. He's still going to be able to deliver in the studio for a while yet, should he choose to.

His clean vocals are also a lot stronger now than they used to be. The performances of CITR in Vegas really shined as a result

It's not just the voice for me, it's the whole thing. It's the mannerism's, the energy, the passion. I also think him being out of shape doesn't help either. And hell, it's not just comparable to 2010, look at 200, or even 2002. Sure, his voice might not have been as strong as it was in 2002, but you knew he had a chip on his shoulder and you could see his drive during that time. Than, in 2006 he was in shape and on fire, belting through songs like Nightrain and Welcome to the Jungle with ease. Now, he seems to be (in my opinion) going through the motion's. And with all the oversized jacket's, bling, and hats, he looks like he's covering up something. Whereas before he would just be on stage with a T-shirt, bandanna and jeans. I'm not sure, but something obviously happened between the downtime before Rock In Rio 2011 that made Axl change his mindset on the band and himself. What it was, we'll most likely never know.

And sure, it's possible he could be not using the rasp to sustain his voice. But, if he was and will all the criticism about him not using the rasp anymore, why doesn't he just say so? "I don't want to use my raspy voice anymore to full force through-out the whole show because I want to be able to sing and perform for the fans when I'm in my 60's and not sound like a dying cat." There, done. And we would all understand, because he would be being honest. But, instead, we're left guessing. To be honest, if he came out and said something like that, I think a lot of the criticism's about his current voice would go away. Just reading that makes me feel much better and make's my wish Axl could be honest with us and tell us why he's not using the rasp anymore, it would make a big difference.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Axl is using no rasp by choice I think, either to create a new sound for himself or to preserve his voice. On songs like the Checkmate/Jackie chan leak it fits good, same with prostitute and the original The Blues....

His voice is more consistent night to night now than it was in the 90's.

Look at bridge school though, durring the whole set he sings mickey mouse but brings out the rasp for the end of patience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoDzBEbEBs

Edited by liers