I don't need a reunion - but there's no point in an AFD/UYI nostalgia act without Slash and Duff

axlsalinger

I think most of you overlook one huge thing relating to the old lineup... They were 'steering wheel holders.' They were part of the engine that got a routine going of writing and recording. I think their work also significantly inspired Axl to write and record as well. I'm pretty convinced the current guys aren't really writing anything that lights a fire under Axl's ass. I think Slash, Duff and Izzy had enough ownership that they were able to motivate Axl (either musically, professionally, or personally). I don't think that vibe exists currently. Sometimes you just have the writing chemistry with certain people. I think Axl has loads of huge hits left in him, but the right musical notes aren't being delivered to him. As you get inspired by what other people are writing in your band, you also become inspired to write as well... generating excitement, and the will to record. Being in a band, writing-wise, should be a perpetual motion machine.

Edited by zepsun

this is the status quo. a nostalgia tour featuring an overweight singer with intermittent leaks of music axl worked on back in the late '90s.

lower your expectations. that's all. there's no rock n roll mantle to be reclaimed. we will never see a day where a new gnr song is tearing up the charts. that gnr died in '93 along with its credibility.

I think Axl has it right with shows. This GNR even with old guys theyd be doing the same thing. You play the hits and some new stuff. Like i went to Metallica they played one track off Death Magnetic and the crowd loved the show. Cant believe they didnt play Cyanide

The point of most tours is to promote an album. GNR had to fall back on more AFD material and UYI material because CD just didnt gell with the public in the same manner that the hits did. Only a small fraction of people are there to hear anything off of CD.

When all the numbers are punched and the reality hits home...what makes the money machine roll??? People want the hits and the classics and thats what Promotors are pushing with GNR.... GnR doesnt have anything to sell at the moment...theres nothing in pop culture or media thats screaming GNR.

It used to be. Bands just hit the road without anything new to promote, or the record company put a hits album out and they'd just advertise that it's out in the ads.

I think Axl has it right with shows. This GNR even with old guys theyd be doing the same thing. You play the hits and some new stuff. Like i went to Metallica they played one track off Death Magnetic and the crowd loved the show. Cant believe they didnt play Cyanide

You're right - even with the old guys Axl would still be doing the same thing. Mostly old stuff with sprinkles of new stuff if it's there. However, I think that was the point of this topic. If all Axl wants to do is tour the hits then wouldn't it make more sense to do it with the group that created them? I agree that for the sake of the crowd Axl is doing it right.

As for the topic at hand, I find myself partially agreeing with that notion. On one hand, I love the current line-up. They really play the shit out of the songs and have a great chemistry together. I can even tolerate Ashba being there because as much as I'm critical of him as a musician, he's really not that bad. However, the touring has grown stale and the lack of updates only adds to it. I would love nothing more than for Axl to showcase this killer line-up in the studio so we can see what they are really made of. At this point, I can understand why many consider the current line-up a glorified cover band. I don't agree with that, but I can see where it comes from. This line-up as a whole unit does not have a single Guns N' Roses song to their name. Sadly, the closest thing we got was Ron's studio recording of his Pink Panther theme as far as recorded music goes.

On the other hand, if Axl is happy doing the hits, then I do feel like it might as well be a reunion now or never. I don't necessarily desire one, but hey, none of the guys are getting any younger so why not give it one last kick in the ass then call it a day.