GONE GIRL Discussion

ManetsBR

Exclusive: 20th Century Fox and director David Fincher are firming up Gone Girl, the Gillian Flynn novel that will star Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike and shoots this fall. Fincher has set Tyler Perry to play Tanner Bolt, the attorney who reps Affleck’s character after his wife disappears, and Neil Patrick Harris is near a deal to play Desi Collins, the wife’s former boyfriend. At the same time, Fincher has set Kim Dickens, Patrick Fugit and Carrie Coon to round out the cast. Perry’s deal is now closed. Fincher saw him playing the title role in Alex Cross and courted him for the lawyer role. Wme and Ziffren repped Perry, who is busy generating his shows for the Own network and will next be seen onscreen in A Made Christmas, another in his line of Madea films. Harris is starting to ramp up his post-How I Met Your Mother »

Source: IMDB

Edited by ManetsBR

• 7 months later...

i have to be honest, angelica. i'm surprised you liked the novel. i thought it was thoroughly forgettable airplane-novel-fare blown out of proportion by the same kinds of people who hyped up the da vinci code and other poorly-written "blockbuster" stories. despite the tone of this post i'm really not an elitist when it comes to fiction works, but man, i just thought it was really mediocre and poorly written. awful dialogue, lots of exposition and hokey sentences (people don't really say stuff like "oh, honey! oh, darling!" when speaking to their significant others, do they?). it read to me like a book written by someone who's watched a lot of bad police procedurals and thrillers on TV, and so it struck me as fairly amusing as i learned that was exactly the case: the author used to write for Entertainment Weekly and her specialty was in reviewing the kind of TV shows that i hate.

i can see how it might make a decent thriller film but i'm very surprised that fincher is helming it and i suspect there may be a large tonal shift in the final product. i do think it will be a good film if only because of his involvement, but it's one that i'll probably wait to see on video.

i have to be honest, angelica. i'm surprised you liked the novel. i thought it was thoroughly forgettable airplane-novel-fare blown out of proportion by the same kinds of people who hyped up the da vinci code and other poorly-written "blockbuster" stories. despite the tone of this post i'm really not an elitist when it comes to fiction works, but man, i just thought it was really mediocre and poorly written. awful dialogue, lots of exposition and hokey sentences (people don't really say stuff like "oh, honey! oh, darling!" when speaking to their significant others, do they?). it read to me like a book written by someone who's watched a lot of bad police procedurals and thrillers on TV, and so it struck me as fairly amusing as i learned that was exactly the case: the author used to write for Entertainment Weekly and her specialty was in reviewing the kind of TV shows that i hate.

i can see how it might make a decent thriller film but i'm very surprised that fincher is helming it and i suspect there may be a large tonal shift in the final product. i do think it will be a good film if only because of his involvement, but it's one that i'll probably wait to see on video.

Oddly enough, I am a massive elitist when it comes to fiction. No doubt it's an airplane novel, but I disagree about the writing. I enjoyed the prose, and the psychology of the piece, the ideas about marriage, the roles people assume when they first meet, etc. Certainly not literature, but legitimately clever and great fun. She's the only pop writer of this generation I've found that I can stomach, I love her first two books as well.

The Da Vinci Code is an amazing movie.

:lol:

• 5 months later...

Damn, damn fine. Not sure what the masses are going to make of it, but it's exactly as cynical, misanthropic and compellingly demented a satire as the source material. Fincher was the perfect fit for it. Rosamund Pike's performance is nothing short of iconic.

• Like 1