GONE GIRL Discussion

ManetsBR

Damn, damn fine. Not sure what the masses are going to make of it, but it's exactly as cynical, misanthropic and compellingly demented a satire as the source material. Fincher was the perfect fit for it. Rosamund Pike's performance is nothing short of iconic.

This is what I've been hearing on all accounts.

Excited to see this!

Looks good. I think Ben Affleck is the killer of his wife. He just seems guilty in this movie, but maybe it'll have a really good twist ending.

Gone Baby Gone was so good and the ending was a nice surprise.

I'll probably see Annabelle this weekend. Saw the Conjuring, so I have to see this movie about that creepy possessed doll.

Looks good. I think Ben Affleck is the killer of his wife. He just seems guilty in this movie, but maybe it'll have a really good twist ending.

Gone Baby Gone was so good and the ending was a nice surprise.

I'll probably see Annabelle this weekend. Saw the Conjuring, so I have to see this movie about that creepy possessed doll.

Going to see this tonight. Have heard nothing but raves.

Saw Annabelle last night. Brings absolutely nothing new to the horror genre, but very fun flick, loved it. The intensity and that damn doll just never stops. :lol:

Great movie until very end(no spoiler). I didn't read the book which I'm sure provided deeper context for the decision, but with the screenplay I just didn't find it plausible.

Unfortunately, it did not.

The ending seemed like it was written by someone else rather than Flynn. It's like she meticulously wrote the whole book, got tired of it, and rushed the end so she could get it out as soon as possible. Which is a real shame, really. Flynn had an interesting feminist approach on Amy at first. On some interviews she even said stuff on the line of"when a man is angry, he has his reasons. But when a woman is angry 'she's just being mad'". But in the end, Amy was just batshit crazy indeed and that was it. Actually, on the book, by the end of it, you end up relating more to Nick. It was just Nick being the good guy and Amy being insane, when in fact he also a sick, pathological lier and misogynist asshole. You may find it interesting that the movie made the ending slightly better. It made it very clear that Nick was also not a mentally healthy person. As soon as Amy tells him she's pregnant he smashes her fucking head in the wall. And as his sister said, he wants to be with her. He's not as crazy as she is, but she's not the sole pyscho on the story.
Edited by ManetsBR

Great movie until very end(no spoiler). I didn't read the book which I'm sure provided deeper context for the decision, but with the screenplay I just didn't find it plausible.

The ending seemed like it was written by someone else rather than Flynn. It's like she meticulously wrote the whole book, got tired of it, and rushed the end so she could get it out as soon as possible. Which is a real shame, really. Flynn had an interesting feminist approach on Amy at first. On some interviews she even said stuff on the line of"when a man is angry, he has his reasons. But when a woman is angry 'she's just being mad'". But in the end, Amy was just batshit crazy indeed and that was it. Actually, on the book, by the end of it, you end up relating more to Nick. It was just Nick being the good guy and Amy being insane, when in fact he also a sick, pathological lier and misogynist asshole. You may find it interesting that the movie made the ending slightly better. It made it very clear that Nick was also not a mentally healthy person. As soon as Amy tells him she's pregnant he smashes her fucking head in the wall. And as his sister said, he wants to be with her. He's not as crazy as she is, but she's not the sole pyscho on the story.
The ending, in theory, is absolutely brilliant and the most warped and disturbing choice she could've made. She just never quite sold the idea that Nick was co-dependant enough to get suckered back in, and Affleck's performance negates it even more so in the film.

The ending, in theory, is absolutely brilliant and the most warped and disturbing choice she could've made. She just never quite sold the idea that Nick was co-dependant enough to get suckered back in, and Affleck's performance negates it even more so in the film.

Yes, in a way the ending is perfect, but its just not how I wanted it to end. Basically it ends perfectly cause these 2 are stuck in their own personal hells. Its a fabulous satire of the media, with the ending really cinching it that through the media these two are happy that they are back together when it is the furthest thing from truth. But I don't know. I either wanted Affleck to be vindicated from all the shit she put him through, or I wanted it to just be different than they are stuck. The friend I went with actually brought up a good point that I wish they had left more than the last 10 minutes to them at home. I found it way more interesting to see how they reacted in private once she got back than just tacking that on at the end. That right there could have been a movie in itself.

Its tricky. I didn't not like it, but I didn't walk out loving it the way the critics made it seem. I mean, when she kills NPH, which was my favorite scene of the film, its great from a film point of view, but terrible for story and character. Cause when she does that, it does just show she's fucking crazy. Before that, she's like evil genius, and its just great revenge. But as Affleck says "she killed a fucking person" at some point and that just kind of takes it to a whole new level. Its not just revenge. It shows that she's the more unstable person cause she's willing to kill people to prove some kind of point. He's obviously an asshole too, with the cheating and basically completely isolating her, but it does drift into the whole "women are just batshit crazy territory."

It is a good movie and its worth seeing, but I didn't love it. I'm currently at a 7 out of 10 with it. Brilliantly paced, the filming is just phenomenal, and the acting is pretty spot on. To me, Rosamund Pike makes the film. She's insanely amazing. I've known who she is for a while but this is the first time I've seen one of her movies, and IMO her role was Oscar worthy. She played that character perfectly, and in the end you didn't know if what she was saying was true at all. A total mindfuck from her character.

IMO, and my friend vehemently disagreed, I thought Affleck and Neil Patrick Harris were kind of terrible. Not bad, but just I didn't get the true essence of what they were trying to convey. My friend is convinced this is Affleck's best acting, cause he shows restraint and makes it so real. But to me, his actions, no matter what happens, were way too understated and unrealistic. It almost seemed like he didn't care about what he was doing, which I guess some could say was the point but it left me cold. I pointed out that when you think about it, he's actually acting no more here than he did in Argo, at least to me, but in Argo I walked away really been impressed by his talent. I guess the fact that the character is victorious in the end hammers that point home, but there was something about him and NPH that felt either too act-y, or too lazy. Some lines in particular, I can't remember offhand, were either so laughably written or so hilariously spoken that it drifted into B movie territory with them.

The rest of the acting was spot on though and the story was a great. It did seem like one of those cases were the story was better than seeing it visually, cause its a page turner, but in a film sense you need something MORE to happen. Maybe it was just mismatched with the director. I don't bow down and pray to the Social Network like some do, but that really ended up being his perfect film, with it being his best directing, an incredible story, and everything firing on all cylinders. Fincher has grown tremendously as a director that it seems unless he finds the right script, that as long as the story is rock solid he will have a winner. I don't think this is the 10 out of 10 film though that people are hailing it to be.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Yeah, agree with 1st part if executed properly. But more than Affleck's acting, I blame some of the characterization as the end decision is in strong contradiction to a few actions/statements earlier in the film.

Still, totally riveting throughout...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Well, I finally saw this Friday night and was thoroughly disappointed. The entire film seems like a borderline ripoff of the far superior Presumed Innocent with Harrison Ford, Ben Affleck still can't act to save his life (the press conferences in the film actually become a bit of an inside joke on his inability to act), and the big "shocking" death near the end was more effective the first time on Breaking Bad.

Edited by AxlsMainMan