Loudness war -

Russel Nash

Recently i learned that Rick Rubin is out doing this shit again(Eminem's Berzerk), over compress the audio and distortion it to make your ears bleed.

This ruined Californication and Death Magnetic to me, i was so glad that GNR choose the uncompressed one.

But i like to hear the other 2 versions of it.

I think that comercial in 02 was more loud and raw than the final version.

In late 2008, mastering engineer Bob Ludwig offered three versions of the Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy for approval to co-producers Axl Rose and Caram Costanzo. They selected the one with the least compression. Ludwig wrote, "I was floored when I heard they decided to go with my full dynamics version and the loudness-for-loudness-sake versions be damned."[15] Ludwig said the "fan and press backlash against the recent heavily compressed recordings finally set the context for someone to take a stand and return to putting music and dynamics above sheer level."

Edited by Russel Nash

I don't think Californication was ruined at all... as for Death Magnetic i would have to agree only because the sound sounds distorted when you listen to it loud.

If you turn up Californication (CD version) really loud it sounds like shit.

This. it's a great record, the last great record by rhcp, and it is painful to hear because of the distortion there.

GNR made the right choice, but it seems that ppl like buy the loudest shit this days..

Californication is definitely brickwalled, and while it is not as bad as albums that have come after it (i.e. Death Magnetic) it's definitely seen as one of the albums that has ushered in the modern "loudness war."

Off the top of my head, some albums that have suffered brickwalling....

1. Death Magnetic

2. Black Gives Way To Blue - Alice in Chains

3. Black Ice - AC/DC

4. Mary Star of the Sea - Zwan

Why is everyone confusing production with mastering? These are two different things entirely, done by different people. Rick Rubin produced those records - are you trying to say he mastered them too?

No, but it is strange that he produced these records.

If Axl had a plan to remaster Appetite, that would be extremely bad news for other reasons other than the mastering...

A guy like Axl could very well pull a Gene Simmons and re-record Appetite with the current band... That would be extremely disappointing and a further stain on GNR's History...

If Axl had a plan to remaster Appetite, that would be extremely bad news for other reasons other than the mastering...

A guy like Axl could very well pull a Gene Simmons and re-record Appetite with the current band... That would be extremely disappointing and a further stain on GNR's History...

A newly recorded AFD would sound much more amazing considering the better technology we have and the pure talent the current band has,

They have been touring these songs like madmen for more than a decade, they can play these songs better than anyone else on the planet.

• Like 1

Make no difference to me. I like songs. Couldn't give a shit less about mastering. Audiophiles are alway up in arms about some details that are totally lost on average listeners.

Well, when it sounds so crappy that it literally hurts your ears, it has nothing to do with audiophiles. Only a half-deaf granny wouldn't hear.

Why do artists allow for that shit? Like, didn't Metallica listen to it before it was approved?

They did and they approved of it. Anyway, they're known for doing it their way no matter what.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Some people should give it a try if they think loudness war is "audiophile bullshit". Compare Judas Priest originals to remasters, Rolling Stones or Mötley Crüe ones. Even more recent, the 20th anniversary edition of Nirvana's Nevermind is butchered. If you can't hear a world of difference, you should give up listening to music already.

Edit : Check out 'Dead Flowers'. Yeah, no difference at all,, audiophile bullshit...

image.jpg

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

AFD has been rerecorded. GN'R rerecorded it in (I think) 1999. I'd love to hear it. Maybe this time around we can actually get some definition on the kick drum and sharpen the cymbals a bit.

A newly recorded AFD would sound much more amazing considering the better technology we have and the pure talent the current band has,

They have been touring these songs like madmen for more than a decade, they can play these songs better than anyone else on the planet.

How can you even fucking compare the Original Lineup with the current one is beyond me...

Make no difference to me. I like songs. Couldn't give a shit less about mastering. Audiophiles are alway up in arms about some details that are totally lost on average listeners.

It makes a huge difference, this isn't like a niche interest of a select few to fine tune the songs

The Loudness Wars has fucked up so many great albums, it is a shame