Should Axl accept Slash's 'challenge'...?

trqster

As talented as Fortus, BBF and Emo Boy can be, they'll never play it like Slash did, just like Myles will never sing it like Axl did

But how about current Axl? Can Myles atleast beat him?

Sadly they're at a tie for dead tie for last in todays rock music world

Myles singin GNR is a joke and everyone knows this. They should stay on their own music.

Wait...........so only Axl should be allowed to play old GnR songs? The other guys who helped write the songs and who helped make them famous..........they shouldn't be allowed to?

Slash shouldn't be allowed to perform SCOM, but DJ Ashba should?

DJ Ashba should make more money off of SCOM in 2014 than Slash does?

Wow. World revolve around Axl much?

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think anyone compares to Slash when it comes to doing lead on a clean acoustic or electric. He is brilliant. So much expression in his playing.

So much expression when he plays ANYTHING on guitar. Its been said many times by famous musicians that a lot of the reason they thought he would be one of the greats is because he always seems so passionate playing. And he still is. Funny, because you'd think that should be that hard for guitarists, but there is something special whenever watching Slash. It really does seem like every time he's playing for his life (maybe a bit of an overstatement, but you know what I mean).

Thats the one thing I've always felt was lacking about post Slash GNR shows. Maybe because the guitarists didn't write the songs they don't get as into it, but the one thing I've always thought was the low point of current GNR shows is NONE of the guitarists up there exude that same emotion Slash does. That's why he's so irreplaceable.

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't think anyone compares to Slash when it comes to doing lead on a clean acoustic or electric. He is brilliant. So much expression in his playing.

So much expression when he plays ANYTHING on guitar. Its been said many times by famous musicians that a lot of the reason they thought he would be one of the greats is because he always seems so passionate playing. And he still is. Funny, because you'd think that should be that hard for guitarists, but there is something special whenever watching Slash. It really does seem like every time he's playing for his life (maybe a bit of an overstatement, but you know what I mean).

Thats the one thing I've always felt was lacking about post Slash GNR shows. Maybe because the guitarists didn't write the songs they don't get as into it, but the one thing I've always thought was the low point of current GNR shows is NONE of the guitarists up there exude that same emotion Slash does. That's why he's so irreplaceable.

I totally agree. Slash is my fave guitarist. Anytime I see him do solos on a clean or barely distorted guitar though... mind=blown. Al these speed players are hiding behind effects (delay, wah, saturated distortion) and Slash coasts on just a touch of lead gain. You watch the Ritz 88 show, you can see how little distortion he actually uses. Then there's the solo in this version of Patience, that blows my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njCUxuxjR1M#t=3m30s

Of course, Axl's voice there is also unbeatable.

Edited by zepsun

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree. Slash is my fave guitarist. Anytime I see him do solos on a clean or barely distorted guitar though... mind=blown. All these speed players are hiding behind effects (delay, wah, saturated distortion) and Slash coasts on just a touch of lead gain. You watch the Ritz 88 show, you can see how little distortion he actually uses. Then there's the solo in this version of Patience, that blows my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njCUxuxjR1M#t=3m30s

Of course, Axl's voice there is also unbeatable.

That's the difference between a GNR concert and a Slash concert to me. At GNR, you're seeing a show, these are hired guys paid to play songs and put on a show (except Axl). At a Slash concert, you get a performance. He wrote the songs, he plays them because he wants to, not because he's paid to.

As for the effects, couldn't agree more. I'm not completely anti-effects, but I hate when guitarists (good or bad) cover their tone in delay, chorus, flange, etc. A bit of reverb and some EL34 distortion is all you need for straight up hard rock (GNR). Obvious exceptions for specific parts which call for effects though (KOHD intro, Jungle intro, etc.).

Edited by OmarBradley

nice tones.

Such a shame Slash doesn't have anyone else playing with him, just to fill the space a little bit. Eg. His solo sounds lame like some dude playing in his bedroom (albeit playing well :P). ANother guitarist, someone stomping on a bass drum, something....would have lifted this to something really good imo.