Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

I'm honestly a bit scared that Myles voice is going to ruin that cool riff we just heard. I mean, his voice is really great - in the right type of material. I'm hoping for the best!

I think Fortress is a really good album, and Myles was a big part of that. I really dislike his voice on Slash songs, and I admit the thought has crossed my mind when listening to that riff, but I'm optimistic cause I think Myles is capable of not sounding like a dying cat.

I hope the lyrics won't be dumb this time as well.

Ok guys, I understand this is gnrforum.com so bash myles' voice all you want, but his lyrics are very good. Its ignorant to say otherwise because then you obviously don't know what hes talking about, you may think it sounds like hes trying to sound like hes been through stuff, but I can assure you 100 of his lyrics are not only true are serious and creative.

I mean the line

Don't close your eyes

Something beautiful is still alive

Theres an example of him being creative, he summed up a lot in two lines that sound beautiful and driving and sounds exactly like the meaning that they have behind them.

And I only used the example to show the creative part, that not only are his lyrics serious but true, but he takes time to write them out in a certain way. Im not using that as an example of lyrics that you guys think he is making up, I know all of his lyrics and I dont want to give a ton of examples

serious and true*

your definition of sucked or understanding of lyrics are very off, one or both of the two.

Fair enough...I guess we just have a difference of opinion...IMO the lyrics (not all, but most) on AL sucked...

"Bloodlust tonight, bite my tongue and hold it in

From deep inside she aches for every part of him

In the rapture of the midnight sun

She is longing for immortal love

New moon hangs high, tell me will it ever end?

Oh, oh, whoa, oho

Here comes the bad rain,

Falling from an aching heart

Here comes the bad rain

Don’t know when it’s gonna stop..."

I guess I just don't understand them well enough to recognize how great they are.

Edited by foghat43

I'm honestly a bit scared that Myles voice is going to ruin that cool riff we just heard. I mean, his voice is really great - in the right type of material. I'm hoping for the best!

I think Fortress is a really good album, and Myles was a big part of that. I really dislike his voice on Slash songs, and I admit the thought has crossed my mind when listening to that riff, but I'm optimistic cause I think Myles is capable of not sounding like a dying cat.

I hope the lyrics won't be dumb this time as well.

During The Metal Show Eddie Truck was talking about his vocal range and how he can get 4 octaves or whatever, and myles said he's got to be more conscious of that as he gets older and may not be able to hit the high notes as he gets older so he may hold back a bit more on future recordings

Ok guys, I understand this is gnrforum.com so bash myles' voice all you want, but his lyrics are very good. Its ignorant to say otherwise because then you obviously don't know what hes talking about, you may think it sounds like hes trying to sound like hes been through stuff, but I can assure you 100 of his lyrics are not only true are serious and creative.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. Nobody is bashing him, at least not me, or Rovim. I personally think Myles is a incredibly talented, down-to-earth human being, professional, vocalist and frontman but he's not a perfect 10. He has flaws like everyone else. I don't enjoy his take on GN'R songs, maybe because I'm too used to Axl's voice but, considering Axl sounds utterly awful nowadays, I'd take Myles in a heartbeat. As for his songwriting skills, I'm sure there are people like you who look at his lyrics as inspirational and awesome but you can't force others to look at them the same way. I don't really mind his lyrics.

I see you're new in the forum so I hope you stay around here for a bit. Not everyone hates Myles. :thumbsup:

Just for the record...I don't hate Myles and I wasn't bashing him. I just think it is a stretch to call him a great lyric writer. IMO his vocals , lyrics and stage presence are just average. And like Nosaj, I don't enjoy his take on GnR songs. I think his voice is OK in the mid to lower ranges, but horrible when he tries to go high. Just my opinion. And it's really a shame too...many folks are of the opinion that Slash has been in top form the last few years and arguably doing some of the best playing of his career (at least live)...just think what he might be doing if he was teamed up with a really great songwriter and singer. And by the way, my only exposure to Myles is his work with Slash. I don't listen to Alter Bridge...so perhaps that has something to do with why our opinons are so different. And regardless of my opinion of Myles, I can't wait to hear this new Slash album.

You guys are forgetting that Myles wrote the lyrics to Blackbird

"The willow it weeps today
A breeze from the distance is calling your name
Unfurl your black wings and wait
Across the horizon it's coming to sweep you away
It's coming to sweep you away

Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again

The fragile cannot endure
The wrecked and the jaded a place so impure
The static of this cruel world
Cause some birds to fly long before they've seen their day
Long before they've seen their day

Blackbird fly away

Beyond the suffering you've known
I hope you find your way

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Blackbird fly away

Beyond the suffering you've known
I hope you find your way
May you never be broken again"

He has written lots of other great lyrics too, there are a lot on Fortress

Yeah I like it hear chunky as

http://youtu.be/ZAHTu7Pc5Nw?t=2m52s

That's the guitar he was looking for a while ago, right? It's a damn shame it was stolen. The sustain that guitar had was unbelievable.

Yeah has got great sastain it's sounds killer in estranged with the volume swells. Sounds like he going for a more Ritz 1988 tone then a illusions tone

Im with you on Blackbird ZoSoRose. It's my favorite song. I normally listen for the music and most of the time don't put much thought into what the lyrics are about but Blackbird grabs me everytime I listen to it and really brings out some emotions. Great solos on it as well that really elevate it towards the end.

"Not for me" on AL gets me as well.

I hope Myles can step it up a bit on this one and get away from the predicable verse chorus bridge as I have a feeling in my bones the music is going to be great.

Im with you on Blackbird ZoSoRose. It's my favorite song. I normally listen for the music and most of the time don't put much thought into what the lyrics are about but Blackbird grabs me everytime I listen to it and really brings out some emotions. Great solos on it as well that really elevate it towards the end.

"Not for me" on AL gets me as well.

I hope Myles can step it up a bit on this one and get away from the predicable verse chorus bridge as I have a feeling in my bones the music is going to be great.

Well, it's not like anyone these days are going to get away from that standard music structure without totally going progressive, which I may doubt Slash may be game for (going prog). Even though Mark Tremonti and Myles stated that they wanted to get away with the standard song structure in Fortress, they still had all of those "predictable" structure elements. The difference though is that they manage to add a lot of depth while working these structures.

It's something like that which is why I hate it when people say that bands need to get away from the standard song structure for a song to be good. What structure could be applied for a band like this?

Edited by Anguyen92

Yeah, and that is more up to Slash as he is the primary song writer. I love his stuff but Slash is very much in the standard song progression (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus) state of mind. It'd be nice of him to change it up a bit on this. I am not saying the songs are bad, though

Well, it's not like anyone these days are going to get away from that standard music structure without totally going progressive, which I may doubt Slash may be game for (going prog). Even though Mark Tremonti and Myles stated that they wanted to get away with the standard song structure in Fortress, they still had all of those "predictable" structure elements. The difference though is that they manage to add a lot of depth while working these structures.

It's something like that which is why I hate it when people say that bands need to get away from the standard song structure for a song to be good. What structure could be applied for a band like this?

I Probably should of made myself a bit clearer. It's not that i have anything against verse/chorus/bridge structure. To me there were to many songs on Apocalyptic Love had a bridge forced into the song that didn't fit the song. Standing in the Sun has a groove throughout the song that is interupted by a bridge that to me doesn't fit. Anastasia is six minutes with no bridge and is perfect.
Favorite part of the record is the extended endings of Standing in the Sun and Anastasia. More Please.