RICHARD FORTUS Says He Understands Why People Keep Pushing For Classic GUNS N' ROSES Reunion

gunnari

Of course people still want a reunion. Maybe if Axl actually kept either the 2002 or 2006 band together and put out new music during those times. Maybe if he stayed in shape, kept his voice in shape, and actually gave a fuck we wouldn't have so many people in the world hoping for a reunion. Maybe if he released Chinese Democracy is say, 2006, than the follow-up in 200, than the third in 2010, GN'R would have three new albums of material to tour behind. Maybe if he did interviews, told his side of story beside coming on a fan-forum and bitching, than people would understand him more.

But, nope. Chinese Democracy became a punch-line. Axl has shown time and time again that he doesn't give two fucks about the new band, at least since 2011. You have a show that's viewed by millions of people on Youtube, and thousands live, and he comes out unprofessional and unprepared. That shows you how much he cares about HIS band. And now, were stuck in no-news land, hoping that we might get a DVD of a terrible sounding Axl from last year. And Axl has his entourage of Brazilian no names as the management team of a legendary rock band.

It's understandable that there are people who still want a reunion. And it's good to know that even the members of Axl's band understand it, unlike some poster's on this forum.

This nails it on the head. And in addition to this post I would say that it is perfectly understandable for people to want a group of musicians together that were actually part of the collective that was the biggest band in world.

Yeah, and even if Axl's bitterness continues to drive his hatred for a man he hasn't spoke to in 20 years, the fans won't stop hoping. People on this forum can say "not in this lifetime," all they want. The fact is a majority of the world outside of this forum and HTGTH want a reunion of the old line-up. Axl could have changed their minds, and moved on musically and used his talents to have GN'R evolve into the 20th century. But the only thing he did was failed time and time again when it meant the most.

• Like 1

GlideMagazine.com: How does it make you feel when people constantly criticize GUNS and your bandmates so unfairly?

Fortus: I get it. I understand people want what they remember the band as being. A lot of times, people have a hard time accepting. Fans of FLEETWOOD MAC before they got Stevie Nicks, if they were fans of Peter Green, they didn't get it. Most of those people, it took them a long time to accept FLEETWOOD MAC as a different band because it wasn't Peter Green. The same deal with the SANTANA band and all the changes that band went through. For people to accept VAN HALEN with Sammy Hagar singing, even though that was their most successful time and they sold more records with Sammy Hagar, a lot of people that liked VAN HALEN from the beginning didn't want to hear anything but David Lee Roth on it. Same thing with GENESIS. I have a hard time listening to GENESIS with Phil Collins singing after Peter Gabriel. It just goes on and on, the list is quite long. And I think it's harder when you change singers, because it's such a huge voice of the music and really that's like the most personal aspect and connection to a band is generally through the singer. And when you change that, it changes the character of the band. And in the same respect, changing anybody else makes it different as well. And it's a different band. A lot of people accept it and a lot of people don't. And that's OK.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-says-he-understands-why-people-keep-pushing-for-classic-guns-n-roses-reunion/#4Cbhy6ShLcsls2jv.99

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-says-he-understands-why-people-keep-pushing-for-classic-guns-n-roses-reunion/

What is missing here is that the bands he uses in his analogies are not even close to the situation of GNR. The '87-'93 GNR was enormous and sold millions upon millions of albums....the "New" Guns N Roses has had only a small fraction of the success of the older version.

He uses bands in his example like Genesis and Fleetwood Mac....Fleetwood Mac was much, much bigger after Stevie Nicks joined and Genesis was much bigger without Peter Gabriel and with Phil Collins signing. Van Halen was huge both with Sammy Hagar and with David Lee Roth.

The new Guns N Roses has accomplished almost nothing...they put out one album that was poorly received and has charted and sold only a fraction of the amount of the 5 albums released by the old GNR. Not only that, they are touring on the strength of the old material. Most people who come to see them are there to see songs not created by this lineup.

The analogy by Fortus is downright stupid as it is comparing people who successfully transformed their band with lineup changes to what most perceive as a significant downgrade in the case of GNR (outside of a handful of neurotic psychopaths in this forum).

• Like 1

This thread makes me sick and is a perfect example why I will not post here any longer real soon.

Fuck yous all and your "reunion" bullshit.

The main reason I'd love to see a reunion is to see people like you flip flop so fast. It would be priceless to see these hard core blind fanatics of Axl Rose turn on a dime and support a reunion. To see people who claim to resent and hate the idea of a reunion suddenly praising the greatness of it because the Holy One finally accepted it. That's why I want to see a reunion.

Never thought I'd say it, but the thought of a reunion really doesn't appeal anymore.

All it could possibly lead to is disappointment. Kinda like your favourite badass boxer making a comeback and getting knocked the fuck out. Not only do you wish he didn't bother, it also tarnishes your image of how tough he was in his prime.

The guys should just let sleeping dogs lie. I dont think Axl could bring it, and the creative spark of those 5 guys together left town over 20 years ago.

LA

Never thought I'd say it, but the thought of a reunion really doesn't appeal anymore.

All it could possibly lead to is disappointment. Kinda like your favourite badass boxer making a comeback and getting knocked the fuck out. Not only do you wish he didn't bother, it also tarnishes your image of how tough he was in his prime.

The guys should just let sleeping dogs lie. I dont think Axl could bring it, and the creative spark of those 5 guys together left town over 20 years ago.

LA

Isn't that the sad truth. It's Axl who wouldn't be able to bring it. The other guys would fucking kill it but Axl would be such a weak link at this point. It would be kinda sad to see the Guns firing in a way they never have before and watch the Rose wilt.

• Like 1

This thread makes me sick and is a perfect example why I will not post here any longer real soon.

Fuck yous all and your "reunion" bullshit.

The main reason I'd love to see a reunion is to see people like you flip flop so fast. It would be priceless to see these hard core blind fanatics of Axl Rose turn on a dime and support a reunion. To see people who claim to resent and hate the idea of a reunion suddenly praising the greatness of it because the Holy One finally accepted it. That's why I want to see a reunion.
We're almost the same. The only reason I don't want a reunion is because it's so damn funny how butthurt people get over not having one. :lol:

Who knows? Maybe the presence of Slash, Duff and Izzy would motivate Axl to lose some weight and bring his A-game.

If i had to do something with ppl i don't get along my natural response is to bring my worst-god-please-kill-me face and attitude.

Which remains the only reason I've never been interested in a reunion. I've seen it both ways. I saw Van Halen in 2004 and there was damn near icicles growing off the stage. It was fun at all to watch or listen to because Sam and the brothers just weren't getting along at that time. Then I saw Floyd at Live 8 and it was awesome to see them have let everything go and get along, smiling at each other and what not.

But isn't anger part of what made albums like Appetite and Lies so refreshing?

Smiling Axl isn't that productive, is he?

I don't mean the music itself, I mean the attitude on stage. At least you could tell they were enjoying themselves for the most part as a band on the UYI tour and before. The interaction between them was genuine. On that VH tour I was talking about, they were doing the same material but you could tell they just hated what they were doing. It sucked all of the fun out of the show.

GlideMagazine.com: How does it make you feel when people constantly criticize GUNS and your bandmates so unfairly?

Fortus: I get it. I understand people want what they remember the band as being. A lot of times, people have a hard time accepting. Fans of FLEETWOOD MAC before they got Stevie Nicks, if they were fans of Peter Green, they didn't get it. Most of those people, it took them a long time to accept FLEETWOOD MAC as a different band because it wasn't Peter Green. The same deal with the SANTANA band and all the changes that band went through. For people to accept VAN HALEN with Sammy Hagar singing, even though that was their most successful time and they sold more records with Sammy Hagar, a lot of people that liked VAN HALEN from the beginning didn't want to hear anything but David Lee Roth on it. Same thing with GENESIS. I have a hard time listening to GENESIS with Phil Collins singing after Peter Gabriel. It just goes on and on, the list is quite long. And I think it's harder when you change singers, because it's such a huge voice of the music and really that's like the most personal aspect and connection to a band is generally through the singer. And when you change that, it changes the character of the band. And in the same respect, changing anybody else makes it different as well. And it's a different band. A lot of people accept it and a lot of people don't. And that's OK.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-says-he-understands-why-people-keep-pushing-for-classic-guns-n-roses-reunion/#4Cbhy6ShLcsls2jv.99

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-says-he-understands-why-people-keep-pushing-for-classic-guns-n-roses-reunion/

I'm not going to read through all of the pages, so sorry if this has been pointed out.

I like Richard, he seems like a great guy and he's a good musician, but just FYI:

VAN HALEN DID NOT SELL MORE ALBUMS WITH SAMMY HAGAR!

I saw Velvet Revolver live a few years ago, the crowd was blown away by the energy of the band and the sheer power of the delivery. Stick a healthy, ripped, back-in-the game Axl in front of that band and I guarantee it would be worth it. Those guys have something that few others have..band chemistry.

Never going to happen though. Axl ain't for turning.

Right now Guns and Roses is a "band" that owns no respect from public, what most of people think that its like they are not the original lineup and Axl his time has gone,and he is trying to relive a Golden past with a new lineup.

Until 2010 Gnr was in a good way,but right now is a Cabaret.

Bring back the classic line up for one tour and álbum and if they fail, let die GNR.

This:

We all know a 2013 reunion show wont be as good as the 93' shows. Let the image of 87-93 be left as it is.

As with new guns I judge them as off 2001 and I believe we have the best line up since then.

This:

No reunion for me. Axl's voice is gone.

His voice isn't gone though, he's just too lazy to use it. Check out almost any perfomance of You're Crazy that didn't come from a disaster show and it shows that if he got off his ass and tried, he could be at least as good as 2010 again. He just needs to quit being pampered by everybody because he's complacent. That is what isn't going to change though, so his voice might as well be gone. :shrugs:

And this:

I would love a reunion and i'd pay big money to see them. But they could never write or perform as they used to.

They've all gotten older and changed their styles. It could never be the same thing but it'd be just close enough!

I think it would be exciting to see the show, the big reunion show. Like them all walking out would be electrifying, the crowd would be going nuts.

exactly, it would be electrifying, it would be absolutely huge.

reunion would be awesome, no matter what some internet losers might say..... and even if it wasn't that great, at least it would be better than what we have now.

+1

nothing can be worse than the current mediocrity. it would be better to have nothing rather than this parody of a band. the fastest reunion happens, the better for everybody. :)

• Like 1