What separates Kanye from Lil' Wayne?

arnold layne

If you're actually serious. If all you've ever heard of Kanye is like, Bound 2, then I can see why you'd say that, but really, it's just factually untrue.

Some Lil Wayne lines

"I'm in the ocean gettin shark pussy"

"All about my riches/ My name should be Richard"

"Swagger down pat/ Call my shit Patricia"

"Weezy F. Baby/ And the 'F' ain't for fear"
"You don't want to start Weezy/ Cause the 'F' is for finisher"
"Weezy F./ For 'Fuck you'"
"The 'F' is for 'Fuck yourself'"

Edited by Jakey Styley

In a nutshell; Wayne is fun, Kanye is a pretentious douche

I havent listened to either of them in several years, but when he was in his prime Lil Wayne was easily the superior rapper and I don't know how anybody can dispute that. His career took a nose dive around when he put out that "rock" album, tried and failed as a guitarist, and kissed a dude on stage, losing all of his college bro fans and subsequently becoming "cool to hate", but his mixtapes up to Tha Carter III were actually really good. Theres a reason he was as huge as he was, and he may deserve all of the shit he's gotten in the past few years, I wouldn't really know because I've been paying no attention at all, but in terms of flow and even lyrical content he was definitely far more gifted than Kanye in the mid to late 2000's when he was at his best.

Basically Wayne's fame blew up in his face and he tapered off, Kanye was able to handle his fame and stay relevant. That said, neither of them really ever blew my mind. Their music is good to put on in a party setting or bump in a car with subs, thats about it. Can't help but laugh at the Kanye West dick riders who hail him as some sort of musical genius.

Edited by sweetness

I havent listened to either of them in several years, but when he was in his prime Lil Wayne was easily the superior rapper and I don't know how anybody can dispute that. His career took a nose dive around when he put out that "rock" album, tried and failed as a guitarist, and kissed a dude on stage, losing all of his college bro fans and subsequently becoming "cool to hate", but his mixtapes up to Tha Carter III were actually really good. Theres a reason he was as huge as he was, and he may deserve all of the shit he's gotten in the past few years, I wouldn't really know because I've been paying no attention at all, but in terms of flow and even lyrical content he was definitely far more gifted than Kanye in the mid to late 2000's when he was at his best.

Basically Wayne's fame blew up in his face and he tapered off, Kanye was able to handle his fame and stay relevant. That said, neither of them really ever blew my mind. Their music is good to put on in a party setting or bump in a car with subs, thats about it. Can't help but laugh at the Kanye West dick riders who hail him as some sort of musical genius.

What have you heard of Kanye's?

There is just no way someone can listen to a considerable amount of his discography (which must include MBDTF) and then generalize his music as just "good to bump in a car". It's like all you've ever heard was [blackpeople] in Paris and Clique.

Edited by Jakey Styley

What have you heard of Kanye's?

There is just no way someone can listen to a considerable amount of his discography (which must include MBDTF) and then generalize his music as just "good to bump in a car". It's like all you've ever heard was [blackpeople] in Paris and Clique.

Late Registration, Graduation, 808s and Heartbreak... never took any of it seriously. I've heard bits from MBDTF, the one he did with Jay Z, and Yeezus out of curiosity and didn't care to hear any more, the one with Jay Z was especially awful.

It's worth mentioning that i really haven't cared much for hip hop at all since high school

Edited by sweetness

Kanye has interesting, original lyrics. Weezy's remind me of somebody in the state of being braindead. Kanye has interesting, original beats. Weezy's are incohesive and unlistenable. Kanye's style of rap is in your face and rhythmic. Weezy's is slurred and incohesive. Kanye has tangible intelligence. Weezy has destroyed every braincell he ever had with cocktails of drugs. Kanye's records represent a legitimate evolution of hip-hop. If anything Lil Wayne's are a catalyst for regression.

Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

I'm not by any means debating you, but name some artists that you think have had more of an impact on music in the past decade. I get the whole d-bag thing, but I think sometimes people try to discount Kanye before he even has a chance to say what he has to say, just because he's got that reputation. You have to remember that aside from the fact that he's the youngest artist ever to already have 21 Grammies and has six critically-acclaimed albums that all sound completely different and unique from one-another, he was also the producer who created the sound for Jay-Z's greatest album (and one of the top 5 ranked rap albums of all time). He's produced hits for everyone from Brandy to Britney Spears, John Legend to Scarface, Nas to Beyoncé, Eminem to Drake, Keyshia Cole to Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys to Puff Daddy, Justin Beiber to Michael Jackson...you name someone out there who has been more influential and important to music in the past ten years. Again, I'm not trying to defend Kanye's actions outside of the music studio, but the numbers and reviews of his music speak for themselves. His fifth album was the first album in nine years to receive a perfect 10.0 rating from Pitchfork, not to mention 5 mics in the source, 5 stars in Rolling Stone. Say what you want about the man as a human, but his creativity and his passion have driven him to create six incredibly unique and honest albums. He is an artistic genius. That's just a fact, and to deny it is to turn a blind eye to everything he has accomplished.

I'm not by any means debating you, but name some artists that you think have had more of an impact on music in the past decade. I get the whole d-bag thing, but I think sometimes people try to discount Kanye before he even has a chance to say what he has to say, just because he's got that reputation. You have to remember that aside from the fact that he's the youngest artist ever to already have 21 Grammies and has six critically-acclaimed albums that all sound completely different and unique from one-another, he was also the producer who created the sound for Jay-Z's greatest album (and one of the top 5 ranked rap albums of all time). He's produced hits for everyone from Brandy to Britney Spears, John Legend to Scarface, Nas to Beyoncé, Eminem to Drake, Keyshia Cole to Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys to Puff Daddy, Justin Beiber to Michael Jackson...you name someone out there who has been more influential and important to music in the past ten years. Again, I'm not trying to defend Kanye's actions outside of the music studio, but the numbers and reviews of his music speak for themselves. His fifth album was the first album in nine years to receive a perfect 10.0 rating from Pitchfork, not to mention 5 mics in the source, 5 stars in Rolling Stone. Say what you want about the man as a human, but his creativity and his passion have driven him to create six incredibly unique and honest albums. He is an artistic genius. That's just a fact, and to deny it is to turn a blind eye to everything he has accomplished.

Great post. GOAT

That said about Weezy, Drop The World and How To Love are awesome.

His verse on No Love too. If that was any other rapper's song Weezy would have stole it, just killed you on your own shit, but Em came with a verse that was a little bit better.