YouTube views. What do they tell us?

John Bonham

Actually really interesting. Can't belive you took the time to do that but glad you did. Thanks. I don't know what youtube views tell us other than it's people searching out music by the artists they want to hear. The more people who are interested in said artist or song the more youtube views you'll have. So if videos of Slash's original material as well as his covers of classic GnR material are getting more views it's easy to draw the conclusion that more people want to hear Slash than new GnR. Can't wait to see the Axl minions explain this one. All this nonsense that Axl is Guns N' Roses and that Slash is shit without Axl doesn't seem to be an opinion shared by the masses. Knowing the demographics of who's searching out these videos would be interesting as well.

I didn't know there was any consensus that Axl was doing better in terms of popularity than Slash...

I know Chinese Democracy technically "shipped" more units than Slash's multiple works, but the actual sales don't live up to units shipped, right?

I just always thought it was a matter of personal opinion.

I would rather listen to Chinese Democracy than almost any of Slash's solo work, save for a song or two here and there and maybe certain solos, such as the "Street Child" solo. I find Slash's solo work to be mostly boring and generic. Chinese Democracy was a huge let down for me, but I can see the greatness in it. I agree with Dave Navarro, Chinese Democracy is 70 percent cool and 30 percent weird. I think if it they had went in the direction of Oh My God and Shackler's Revenge, they might have had a blockbuster album by gaining new fans as well as drawing in old fans with the updated, somewhat heavier sound.

So, I realize that Slash is the great rock icon in the public's eyes, even today. Axl is only a vague memory of greatness. Therefore, Slash's work is more popular today than Axl's. Slash keeps putting out album after album of his signature sound. He's giving the fans what they want, and you can't ever deny the appeal of straight up rock 'n roll.

Not sure about the rest of it but it seems to tell us that November Rain is the pinnacle of success that any band member of GnR has achieved inside and outside of Guns (unless people are viewing it in a omg weren't the 90s hilarious type way).

Nah November Rain was massive and ina good way. Pretty much from 1991 to oh maybe 2001 it had to be the most popular slow song at highschool dances. 1. it's an amazing song. 2. it's nearly 9 minutes long so it was fantastic for highscool dances haha.

YouTube doesn't mean shit, it's record sales that matter. Slash hasn't even hit gold since leaving VR, and VR was pushed to platinum status with Scott Weiland.

Yeah cause music is all about sales. You're such a dumb kid. Yes it's against the rules but I had to say it. Almost every of your interventions are dumb.

YouTube doesn't mean shit, it's record sales that matter. Slash hasn't even hit gold since leaving VR, and VR was pushed to platinum status with Scott Weiland.

hahaha You realize Axl has the Guns N' Roses name to boost sales right. I'd love to see your GOD Axl Rose have the fucking balls to release an album without using the GnR name. And whata fucking load of shit saying VR was pushed to platimun thanks to Scott. You and you kliq are fucking insane and dellusional. how do you manage simple day to day life?

LOL now we know you have no life

Way to address the topic you chicken shit. Can't really argue those numbers now can you so you just laugh at the effort someone put into finding them out yet had the numbers shown the opposite you'd praise the person who took the tim to do it.

Oh great, now the U2 fans are coming out to cry.

You as well. How about you minions addres the topic at hand instead of acting like a bunch of cry babies.

LOL now we know you have no life

Way to address the topic you chicken shit. Can't really argue those numbers now can you so you just laugh at the effort someone put into finding them out yet had the numbers shown the opposite you'd praise the person who took the tim to do it.

Oh great, now the U2 fans are coming out to cry.

You as well. How about you minions addres the topic at hand instead of acting like a bunch of cry babies.

I addressed it on the first page, idiot. Learn how to read.

Maybe people are more interested in Slash's current projects than new gnr however November Rain was predominantly an Axl song which i believe he had to push the others to do despite their derision for big ballads. So in the grand picture Axl's muse is the most popular to the tune of 200 million. It seems like he doesn't always get fair credit for that achievement.

Slash works hard to promote everything he is involved in which I imagine pays off in things like youtube views (that's not meant as sarcasm just a factual reap what you sow type thing). If Axl took the same attitude things might be skewed differently.

Edited by alfierose

YouTube views do mean something. It's the same as buying the single off iTunes or buying the album or watching the video on MTV.

Also, there are people in this thread that are making excuses such as "Well, Axl is only doing worse because he didn't promote his work, whereas Slash works to stay in the media and advertise his material." That's true, but it has no bearing on the discussion at hand. It doesn't matter why Slash is doing better than Axl in terms of public popularity, it just matters that he is. This topic wasn't created so much to argue the reason why but more to show that some of the Axl fans are apparently either uninformed or delusional. The numbers don't lie. and this guy apparently did his research and didn't try to skew the results one way or another to fit his own agenda.

EDIT: He seems to have chosen solid comparisons and based his conclusion on a solid number of examples. Of course, who's got the time or nerdiness to actually check his facts? Not me :shades:

Edited by Amish