What is your pick for best movie of 2013?

ohlovelyrita

Pain and Gain

Really? Very surprised to read that. Is it really that good? :)

I adored it. I may be overrating it somewhat to compensate for how underrated it was otherwise (by everyone but Black Sabbath, anyway), I'm not sure.

Pain & Gain was great. It's easily in my Top 3.

No love for Rush, Angelica?

I thought it was fine for what it was, but it didn't do anything for me.

cardimayne, on 31 Dec 2013 - 5:22 PM, said: Pain & Gain, which says a lot more about how shit of a year this was for movies than how good Pain & Gain was.

Seriously? How many movies did you see this year? Given my (frequently unfortunate) tendency to see...a lot, I can't recall a better year for film since 2007.

Edited by Angelica

Apologies for the boring choice, but 'Saving Mr Banks' is my favourite so far. I still have a few to see though

I very often watch older childrens films from the 50s, 60s and 70s and feel that a lot of them have a dark, sinister feel to them, so it was interesting to watch the story of how the Mary Poppin's film unfolded. I think the true story of Miss Travers transcends the story in the film. The reality of her life story is that she went on to write 7-8 Mary Poppin's book in the end and I think it was more about not wanting the story to end rather than what Walt Disney offered her in the film. An amazing film

Pain and Gain

Really? Very surprised to read that. Is it really that good? :)

I adored it. I may be overrating it somewhat to compensate for how underrated it was otherwise (by everyone but Black Sabbath, anyway), I'm not sure.

Loved it too, easily in my top 5 films of the year.