Is Axl capable of more than he's doing now?

niceguy

I love ripping on the ever-revolving door of cast members in Axl's dog and pony show, but I truly believe Axl is incredibly talented.

I believe the following; do you agree or disagree?

Axl would be incredible in film. With just a little work, he could be a fantastic actor.

He should write and release a solo piano album, each song just him and piano. It would be incredible, like a folk guitar album but with piano.

Axl should also write a collection of purely electronic songs, with no guitar solos, just actual electronic music. I'm sure it would be an incredible album.

He'd be an awesome producer for all sorts of musicians. Clearly, he knows how to take ideas that bands have and help direct the creation into something very special.

Yes or no? I'm a big believer in Axl's talent, but god damn, lose the elderly nanny/mother/whatever, lose the soulless shredders, and use your talents!

Edited by niceguy
  • Like 1

I completely agree. The only thing holding him back though, is himself. For whatever reasons, the guy operates on his own level and from what it looks like, he does not have much of a professional life anymore other than touring/playing shows.

Edited by OmarBradley

I think Axl would be a good actor. He seems to like to joke around a lot, so he could probably even have his own talk show... I'm sure he has a ton to talk about. I always thought he would be a good american idol judge.

I think he could write a good piano album... Not really my type of music though. I'm also sure he could write a good album of industrial/metal OMG sounding songs.

I don't think I would want him producing an album for any other band I like though. The biggest problem that CD had was over production.

He could've accomplished a lot, and still could. He could be like Steven Tyler or Bono, doing all kinds of shows and charity things and still releasing music everyone likes. There was a time when he was the most powerful rockstar in the world, then he went into hiding and was forgotten. He had a chance in 01 and 02, even 06, but he let that slip away.

Edited by liers

The amount of wasted time that Axl has spent over the last 20 years is sad to think about. There's no question he's extremely talented, and just the fact that we could have an amazing album of piano songs from him is enough to make me upset. And thats not even thinking about all the other things he could surprise us with that would probably be great. Thats truly the sad part. He could have had an amazing second act, and whether you like new GNR or not, you have to admit how amazing it would have been had he kept being creative instead of constantly trying to reinvent Guns N Roses.

And now he is over 50, which means a lot of this amazing stuff he could have done will most likely never get done. Unless he becomes insanely productive from 50-70, which I'm sure we all highly doubt and is near impossible to think of based off his past decade of output.

Thats the sad part. He has the talent, and either he was roped away from it trying to rebuild the band or he never thought himself enough to actually go off and do it. The bottom line is I don't think we ever truly got to see how creative Axl could have been. In my opinion, I think Chinese Democracy and those god damn same 15-20 songs have haunted him for the last 20 years and will possibly continue to haunt him for the rest of his life. I don't know how he's not tired of listening to them enough to the point that he actually wants to move on.

• Like 1

All the talent in the world....dude had it all. He has literally wasted 1993-present crying over "lies" told by Slash and some ex girlfriend issues. To answer OP's question- he WAS capable of so much more (shoulda gone solo and recorded/released 10 albums of immense variety by now). Now- he's fat, old, rich, voice is a far cry from what it was, and surrounded by the wrong people.

How about we start with him releasing an album? Lets see where it goes from there.

You really want today's Axl/TB to sit down, start writing, then recording? Or do you want a "new album" of unreleased stuff that was recorded years ago?
I don't want TB writing or recording anything. :lol:

I don't care, man. Whether its old new music or new new music, I just want some fucking original music released.

How about we start with him releasing an album? Lets see where it goes from there.

You really want today's Axl/TB to sit down, start writing, then recording? Or do you want a "new album" of unreleased stuff that was recorded years ago?
I don't want TB writing or recording anything. :lol:

I don't care, man. Whether its old new music or new new music, I just want some fucking original music released.

OK. I've always wondered what the backers of "we want new music" mean. I wouldn't mind some "new" stuff (unreleased stuff). But we are all high to think Axl could sit down, write & record and release truly new stuff in less than 5 years. *and its obvious TB had its hands on everything....it's not a stretch to think that they would be involve in any new writing etc.... Edited by Snowmass

The amount of wasted time that Axl has spent over the last 20 years is sad to think about. There's no question he's extremely talented, and just the fact that we could have an amazing album of piano songs from him is enough to make me upset. And thats not even thinking about all the other things he could surprise us with that would probably be great. Thats truly the sad part. He could have had an amazing second act, and whether you like new GNR or not, you have to admit how amazing it would have been had he kept being creative instead of constantly trying to reinvent Guns N Roses.

And now he is over 50, which means a lot of this amazing stuff he could have done will most likely never get done. Unless he becomes insanely productive from 50-70, which I'm sure we all highly doubt and is near impossible to think of based off his past decade of output.

Thats the sad part. He has the talent, and either he was roped away from it trying to rebuild the band or he never thought himself enough to actually go off and do it. The bottom line is I don't think we ever truly got to see how creative Axl could have been. In my opinion, I think Chinese Democracy and those god damn same 15-20 songs have haunted him for the last 20 years and will possibly continue to haunt him for the rest of his life. I don't know how he's not tired of listening to them enough to the point that he actually wants to move on.

Great post. Sad but true.

Is Axl capable musically of more? I really think so.

Does he want to? Unfortunately, it appears that he doesn't really care. And that the people closest to him don't care either.

And the fans are the losers.

Acting?

No idea. Never seen him act before. I don't believe Axl would be a master at everything just because he is Axl Rose.

Doesn't seem like he would have the patience though.

Snowmass - I would want it all. Old stuff, new stuff. Just anything. One album since 1991 from my favorite rock singer? That sucks.

Doesn't Prince clean out his vault every once in awhile? Can you imagine if Axl did that? Released an album of new material and then released like 50 songs on iTunes or EPS just to clean out all his old music and be able to start completely from scratch with the next album. Can you imagine getting 50 or 60 new songs from Axl in 2014?

I wish Axl would get the Chinese democracy instrumentals on iTunes! Those are excellent.

This I Love and Prostitute stand out. He definitely can put together some great music. The CD instrumentals sound like they belong in a movie though. He would be an excellent composer of big movie soundtracks. Everything that we've heard from CD and the leaks have an epic sound to em

I'd link the instrumentals to some songs but I don't see em on YouTube anymore.

Better check your math again there Groghan. Just one ablum since 1991? Really?

Okay... so Spaghetti Incident, Live Era, Chinese Democracy, and I'll even throw in Greatest Hits for you. So a covers album, a live album, a studio album, and a greatest hits. I wouldn't really count first two or the last given the context of this thread and GNR in general as the three non-studio albums have more to do with music business than music itself (maybe not SI, but you get the point). So yes, it's just 1.

Edited by OmarBradley

I love ripping on the ever-revolving door of cast members in Axl's dog and pony show, but I truly believe Axl is incredibly talented.

I believe the following; do you agree or disagree?

Axl would be incredible in film. With just a little work, he could be a fantastic actor.

He should write and release a solo piano album, each song just him and piano. It would be incredible, like a folk guitar album but with piano.

Axl should also write a collection of purely electronic songs, with no guitar solos, just actual electronic music. I'm sure it would be an incredible album.

He'd be an awesome producer for all sorts of musicians. Clearly, he knows how to take ideas that bands have and help direct the creation into something very special.

Yes or no? I'm a big believer in Axl's talent, but god damn, lose the elderly nanny/mother/whatever, lose the soulless shredders, and use your talents!

Artists and art, they just do what they do

If Axl was to release music Cliff Richard stylee, it could impact on the quality of the music. It is just one of those things I guess.

In a word: yes

dont know and dont really care about excuses motivations or explanations. The dude had charisma and umph and early Axl had a point...which leads me to further ask Does Axl really have a point to prove now? When your young and the big future is staring you in the face all that you want and desire is the carrot in front of your proverbial nose....but when your financially secure and the good times are behind you.. what can Axl do at this point to top 87-93? If we should never hear from him again ...hes got the life he demanded and achieved so that in my book is a huge bravo for him...

on the other hand... the question always comes back to me.. particullarly after CD was released.. was "Really??" Really Axl... this is the best you can do with your talent your time and your fame and your fortune? THis was what you made almost everyone on board with GNR jump ship and swim for thier lives???

one thing we can say we dont have to worry about overexposure on axls part.

Better check your math again there Groghan. Just one ablum since 1991? Really?

Okay... so Spaghetti Incident, Live Era, Chinese Democracy, and I'll even throw in Greatest Hits for you. So a covers album, a live album, a studio album, and a greatest hits. I wouldn't really count first two or the last given the context of this thread and GNR in general as the three non-studio albums have more to do with music business than music itself (maybe not SI, but you get the point). So yes, it's just 1.

Exactly. There is no effort whatsoever into putting together the greatest hits and live era albums, you're simply selecting tracks you've already recorded or performed. TSI was recorded sure, but they're covers and by the sound of the album I doubt there was much rehearsing done. You put it perfect.

He can be an actor based on Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged videos.

He can be an agent/spy or James Bond because of his drinking habits, women and Vegas residency. :lol:

But he's ENJOYING wasting time, and John Lennon once said it was not wasted.

Edited by axlrod

I strongly doubt it. He just doesn't seem like someone who would be good at acting. And besides, imagine how much of a diva he'd be in Hollywood.

This could be cool, if the songs were good, but there's no way he could churn out 12 November Rains and Estrangeds and I feel like an album of SODs and TILs would get boring pretty quick.

Industrial, not electronic. Of course, people like you probably don't even know the difference.

If he's a good producer he sure didn't show it on CD.