Great albums from bands past their peak?

wasted

in respect to some Aussie bands -

Full Moon, Dirty Hearts - INXS. Actually my favourite INXS album but it didn't get a lot of recognition. Features duet vocals with Ray Charles and Crissie Hynde.

Temple Of Low Men and Together Alone, by Crowded House. Late career classics. Just good solid songwriting and clear, often heartbreaking, poignant modern day livin' sentiments by good, clean-livin', well-meaning honest young aussie lads. There's a kind of wholesomeness and idealism about them that i love.

In Blue Cave - Hoodoo Gurus. If you've not afforded yourself the pleasure, do so at your leisure, for they are men of measure, the hoodoo gurus.... a fucking awesome aussie band. They are a kind of retro psychedelic 60s kind of 80's pop band, with plenty of humour and wit and anyway you just have to check them out to know what i'm rambling about.

• Like 1

in respect to some Aussie bands -

Full Moon, Dirty Hearts - INXS. Actually my favourite INXS album but it didn't get a lot of recognition. Features duet vocals with Ray Charles and Crissie Hynde.

Temple Of Low Men and Together Alone, by Crowded House. Late career classics. Just good solid songwriting and clear, often heartbreaking, poignant modern day livin' sentiments by good, clean-livin', well-meaning honest young aussie lads. There's a kind of wholesomeness and idealism about them that i love.

In Blue Cave - Hoodoo Gurus. If you've not afforded yourself the pleasure, do so at your leisure, for they are men of measure, the hoodoo gurus.... a fucking awesome aussie band. They are a kind of retro psychedelic 60s kind of 80's pop band, with plenty of humour and wit and anyway you just have to check them out to know what i'm rambling about.

absolutely love Full Moon, Dirty Hearts

It is that bad, is it? Even worse than those albums with all those iffy line-ups featuring people like Tony the cat martin? 13 seemed to get quite good reviews and was a hit album. I have not heard it yet by the way.

Very bland and generic. Everything sounds very phoned-in other than some of Tony's riffs; it sounds like they were trying too hard to make an album that sounded like classic Sabbath to me.

But I also love the Tony Martin albums - that's my second favorite era of Sabbath, so maybe you'll totally disagree with me :shrugs:

• Like 1

Damaged Soul and Age Of Reason are good numbers, other than that it's a regurgitation affair...they should have left it alone.

It's no better than the much hated Forbidden really -in fact I'm not sure if any song on 13 is as good as "Kiss Of Death", and Cross Purposes leaves it for dead.

I enjoy the Martin stuff (mostly), though his voice can get old really quickly.

It is that bad, is it? Even worse than those albums with all those iffy line-ups featuring people like Tony the cat martin? 13 seemed to get quite good reviews and was a hit album. I have not heard it yet by the way.

Very bland and generic. Everything sounds very phoned-in other than some of Tony's riffs; it sounds like they were trying too hard to make an album that sounded like classic Sabbath to me.

But I also love the Tony Martin albums - that's my second favorite era of Sabbath, so maybe you'll totally disagree with me :shrugs:

Sounds like Sabbath's version of Death Magnetic.

• Like 2

Sounds like Sabbath's version of Death Magnetic.

Both were produced by Rick Rubin, both didn't actually sound like the band at their "roots" at all but were marketed as if they did, both featured songs that were about 6 minutes too long. I'd say you're onto something.

• Like 1

that's a good comparison...they both are regurgitated...both trying to conjure up past glory...and while some of it isn't horrible, most of it comes across as generic and worse, boring

Exactly, it does not hold a candle to Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die- which is funny because they are all shitcanning those two albums in all the promo work they've done for 13.

Ozzy sounds like he is just reading off a lyric sheet, and somehow manages to pretty much sing the same song over and over.

Damaged Soul and Age Of Reason are good numbers, other than that it's a regurgitation affair...they should have left it alone.

It's no better than the much hated Forbidden really -in fact I'm not sure if any song on 13 is as good as "Kiss Of Death", and Cross Purposes leaves it for dead.

I think he's a fantastic studio singer. Live...not so much. That said, I'd love if Martin/Iommi/Butler/Ward would pull a H&H and tour as Headless Cross or something - I'd love to hear the Martin era songs live, though I know it'd be a pretty unpopular decision.

I think he's a fantastic studio singer. Live...not so much. That said, I'd love if Martin/Iommi/Butler/Ward would pull a H&H and tour as Headless Cross or something - I'd love to hear the Martin era songs live, though I know it'd be a pretty unpopular decision.

you can find some tony martin/sabbath demos online...much better than the studio output

you can find some tony martin/sabbath demos online...much better than the studio output

Really? Didn't know that. I've heard the Ray Gillen version of The Eternal Idol, but thats it.

that's a good comparison...they both are regurgitated...both trying to conjure up past glory...and while some of it isn't horrible, most of it comes across as generic and worse, boring

Exactly, it does not hold a candle to Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die- which is funny because they are all shitcanning those two albums in all the promo work they've done for 13.

Ozzy sounds like he is just reading off a lyric sheet, and somehow manages to pretty much sing the same song over and over.

i think he literally was reading off a lyric sheet. the part to beginning of the end it sounds like he is just reading over a riff. what i really despise about 13 is the fact that it is almost like they went into a studio with a sheet of things they had to hit on to make it sound like "vintage sabbath" you have the raping of their self titled track to sound so DOOM!!! you had rehashed riffs galore. IE war pigs/hole in the sky.

then you had the "experimental" IE making planet caravan 2.you have some of the worst drumming in any sabbath album(the devil you know sucked at this as well) bill ward even having a stroke mid way through recording could have done better than brad wilk.

what really irks me is this sounds like a cover and trying to play sabbath. the saving grace is ozzy's vocals are only slightly robotic and not full on robo vocals of his past couple solo outings.

i would love to see some kind of headless cross or maybe cross purposes reunion. cross purposes had a sick lineup. i feel the tony martin stuff is criminally underrated(outside of the shit fest that is forbidden, i mean i like body count and i like ice t, but stay the fuck out of sabbath ice t)

tony martin- vocals

tony iommi- guitar

geezer butler- bass

bobby rondinelli- drums

geoff nichols- keyboards.

Edited by bran

i think he literally was reading off a lyric sheet. the part to beginning of the end it sounds like he is just reading over a riff. what i really despise about 13 is the fact that it is almost like they went into a studio with a sheet of things they had to hit on to make it sound like "vintage sabbath" you have the raping of their self titled track to sound so DOOM!!! you had rehashed riffs galore. IE war pigs/hole in the sky.

then you had the "experimental" IE making planet caravan 2.you have some of the worst drumming in any sabbath album(the devil you know sucked at this as well) bill ward even having a stroke mid way through recording could have done better than brad wilk.

what really irks me is this sounds like a cover and trying to play sabbath. the saving grace is ozzy's vocals are only slightly robotic and not full on robo vocals of his past couple solo outings.

i would love to see some kind of headless cross or maybe cross purposes reunion. cross purposes had a sick lineup. i feel the tony martin stuff is criminally underrated(outside of the shit fest that is forbidden, i mean i like body count and i like ice t, but stay the fuck out of sabbath ice t)

tony martin- vocals

tony iommi- guitar

geezer butler- bass

bobby rondinelli- drums

geoff nichols- keyboards.

In all fairness, Vinny Appice was never a great drummer. I don't think his drumming on TDYK was any worse than Mob Rules or Dehumanizer.

I liked some of the Martin stuff but is he worth a shit these days? I doubt it.

He's a better singer than Ozzy still.