Becoming good with money.

Gracii Guns

^If you know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide in Excel that's all you need. Nothing complex.

I did when I was 11, and didn't have any actual money to apply my Excel skills.

I only learn software when my profession requires me to (and I'm shithot at Photoshop ;) ) so immediately recognising that software skills might help my home life is difficult. But I suppose learning how to do a few simple calculations may pay for itself. I just wish I felt the need to do all this sooner than now!

Guest Len B'stard

When I was 11 there was only one computer in the whole school and only the clever kids were allowed to touch it :lol:

Anyone here, Jewish?

For fuckssake man :lol:

Have you got all your direct debits set up to come out on the 1st of the month (or 1st day after your pay day)?

At least then you can budget better once you're phone, internet, car...etc is out of the way.

I get paid weekly, so I've arranged for my bills to be paid at different intervals throughout the month. It made sense at the time, but this is also where a lot of confusion for me comes from. I may ask to alter a few so they all go within the same few days each month.

Anyone here, Jewish?

I'm not married yet. Anyone here rich? :P

Getting paid weekly is ridiculous and I bet that's the reason you struggle.

You can never save like that, it's all mental because you know it's not long until your next pay day so you will spend. If you got 2-3 weeks until your next pay day, then you will be more wise and more protective of your money.

So yeah, get a better job :lol:

• Like 1

You can never save like that, it's all mental because you know it's not long until your next pay day so you will spend. If you got 2-3 weeks until your next pay day, then you will be more wise and more protective of your money.

Yes, blame the employer for paying weekly. That's awful, no one wants that.

• Like 2

Yes, blame the employer for paying weekly. That's awful, no one wants that.

This. FFS.

I pay myself first and make that part of my pay auto deposit into an account I don't look at much.

I on,y use a debit card and don't carry much cash which is too easy to spend on impulse purchases.

I write down what I spend to make sure the stupid purchases stay under control.

• Like 1

Have you got all your direct debits set up to come out on the 1st of the month (or 1st day after your pay day)?

At least then you can budget better once you're phone, internet, car...etc is out of the way.

I get paid weekly, so I've arranged for my bills to be paid at different intervals throughout the month. It made sense at the time, but this is also where a lot of confusion for me comes from. I may ask to alter a few so they all go within the same few days each month.

Anyone here, Jewish?

Marry a Jewish guy. Problem solved.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I like that you've all taken a slightly different approach to it, and it's helped me to aspire to become more involved as my confidence progresses.

Tonight I started making an Excel spreadsheet. For many reasons, I'm afraid that it was quite overwhelming, so I ditched that.

I got a 2014 calendar and wrote on what days my bills are being paid and when my wages land in the bank. There's plenty of space to write my bank balance and I'll have a decent idea of roughly how much I should expect to be in there.

Over the last few days I've cancelled two magazine subscriptions (not costly, but every little helps) and have started buying birthday cards in multipacks.

Now the big challenge is to check my balance on every Friday (pay day) without fail. It can't be too bad then, as I'll have just been paid.

I didn't take the advice about putting everything on my debit card, as I buy most of my food from the market, who only accept cash. But I will take £20 cash out every Saturday specifically for groceries. Anything left over from that can be a small treat for myself.

I'm also going to start keeping my receipts, hopefully I'll see a decrease in the amount of receipts I have within a few months.

I've identified few issues which don't help my dealing with money, but as long as I'm aware of them and understand why one week is better than others, that helps.

Finally, I'm going to request that my utilities bills get paid on the same day (or at least within the same week) tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your helpful tips, it's much better to get help from real people and not websites which are sponsored by credit card companies or other advertisers. :)

Anyone here, Jewish?

Gracii the shiksa goddess of MyGNR? Nah.

Anyone here, Jewish?

My fiancé's surname is Hebrew...

Anyone here, Jewish?

My fiancé's surname is Hebrew...
Not sure if serious.

Unless your money is making you money, you're not really saving. Sucks but it's true. Get with a financial planner once you save a bit.

A financial planner?

I'm a Graphic Designer in the north of England. I am never going to "save a bit" enough to hire a financial planner. Thanks for the advice though. I'll remember it when I get that lottery win. :)

You can't put a little bit away every week into an IRA?

Where I come from, I'd do life in jail if I invested in an IRA.

• Like 1