What Are You Watching On NETFLIX, Amazon Prime & Hulu? (All things Streaming)

Ace Nova

:facepalm:

Tony Soprano was absolutely, undeniably a modern day anti-hero. As a matter of fact, he paved the way for the new generation of anti-heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_antiheroes

Granted, the term has become increasingly broad but I would firmly classify Tony as a villain. He wasn't genuinely morally complex enough to fit any other definition, IMO.

What does morality have to do with being an anti-hero? By definition, an anti-hero (more than likely) won't be that morally complex...if they were, they wouldn't be "anti-heroes", they would be "heroes".

The Sopranos paved the way for a new era of shows where the protagonist was no longer a hero but an anti-hero and the show's antagonists, which normally would be "heroes" (the police, FBI, etc) are the villains.

You know what? You're right. :lol: When I studied, I was taught particular definitions for particular archetypes - hero, anti-hero, villain protagonist, villain, and anti-villain which were very specific. The definition of anti-hero was broad enough to include everyone from Holden Caulfield, to Han Solo, to Travis Bickle - basically, they had to have both enough bad and enough good to differentiate them from both heroes and villains. And the difference between an anti-hero and a villain protagonist (or anti-villain protagonist) had to be pedantically justified, with clear distinctions between each, otherwise it was all meaningless. So as far as I'm concerned, Tony is a villain protagonist and Dexter Morgan is an anti-villain. But according the every fucking definition that came up on google, an anti-hero is simply a 'character that lacks traditionally heroic qualities', so by that standard, obviously Tony qualifies.

I think you're bang on with the Dexter Morgan analogy....he is the absolute PERFECT definition of an anti-villain.....a serial killer that kills serial killers......it doesn't get any better than that when talking about an anti-villain. :lol:

As far as Tony Soprano goes, I will concede that by the end of season 6, it would have been difficult to continue to categorize him as a stereotypical anti-hero....by then, it could have gone either way....anti-hero/villain.

As far as the first 5 seasons though, he was an anti-hero.....and yes, a protagonist villain can still be an anti-hero. ;)

The thing about Tony Soprano, same with Walter White or Nucky Thompson (my favorites) is that even though they have done horrible things, they have redeeming qualities to them. They show fear in the inevitable. Francis Underwood, he is boring. It seems to be in control. He bores me. Instead of showing vulnerability he goes Richard III and not a very good impression.

That 9.1 rating is way too high.

Sherlock, now that is a masterpiece of television. Taking a break from House of Shit (I have made it this far, could at least finish it) and re-watching the first three series of Sherlock. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to check it out. Each series is only 3 episodes, under 90 minutes each. Quality writing, acting, everything about it is joyful. BBC still has the programming to rival HBO, AMC, FX and Showtime.

You shouldn't let your personal hatred of a character interfere with your judgment of a show.

As far as Sherlock goes, I watched the first one or two episodes a while back.....and I didn't pay much attention to them (I was online...probably posting here, etc while watching).....but from what I remember, the acting and storyline seemed decent....although the pace of the show seemed very slow.

:facepalm:

Tony Soprano was absolutely, undeniably a modern day anti-hero. As a matter of fact, he paved the way for the new generation of anti-heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_antiheroes

Granted, the term has become increasingly broad but I would firmly classify Tony as a villain. He wasn't genuinely morally complex enough to fit any other definition, IMO.

What does morality have to do with being an anti-hero? By definition, an anti-hero (more than likely) won't be that morally complex...if they were, they wouldn't be "anti-heroes", they would be "heroes".

The Sopranos paved the way for a new era of shows where the protagonist was no longer a hero but an anti-hero and the show's antagonists, which normally would be "heroes" (the police, FBI, etc) are the villains.

You know what? You're right. :lol: When I studied, I was taught particular definitions for particular archetypes - hero, anti-hero, villain protagonist, villain, and anti-villain which were very specific. The definition of anti-hero was broad enough to include everyone from Holden Caulfield, to Han Solo, to Travis Bickle - basically, they had to have both enough bad and enough good to differentiate them from both heroes and villains. And the difference between an anti-hero and a villain protagonist (or anti-villain protagonist) had to be pedantically justified, with clear distinctions between each, otherwise it was all meaningless. So as far as I'm concerned, Tony is a villain protagonist and Dexter Morgan is an anti-villain. But according the every fucking definition that came up on google, an anti-hero is simply a 'character that lacks traditionally heroic qualities', so by that standard, obviously Tony qualifies.

I think you're bang on with the Dexter Morgan analogy....he is the absolute PERFECT definition of an anti-villain.....a serial killer that kills serial killers......it doesn't get any better than that when talking about an anti-villain. :lol:

As far as Tony Soprano goes, I will concede that by the end of season 6, it would have been difficult to continue to categorize him as a stereotypical anti-hero....by then, it could have gone either way....anti-hero/villain.

As far as the first 5 seasons though, he was an anti-hero.....and yes, a protagonist villain can still be an anti-hero. ;)

The thing about Tony Soprano, same with Walter White or Nucky Thompson (my favorites) is that even though they have done horrible things, they have redeeming qualities to them. They show fear in the inevitable. Francis Underwood, he is boring. It seems to be in control. He bores me. Instead of showing vulnerability he goes Richard III and not a very good impression.

That 9.1 rating is way too high.

Sherlock, now that is a masterpiece of television. Taking a break from House of Shit (I have made it this far, could at least finish it) and re-watching the first three series of Sherlock. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to check it out. Each series is only 3 episodes, under 90 minutes each. Quality writing, acting, everything about it is joyful. BBC still has the programming to rival HBO, AMC, FX and Showtime.

You shouldn't let your personal hatred of a character interfere with your judgment of a show.

As far as Sherlock goes, I watched the first one or two episodes a while back.....and I didn't pay much attention to them (I was online...probably posting here, etc while watching).....but from what I remember, the acting and storyline seemed decent....although the pace of the show seemed very slow.

It gets better after the first episode.

My pet peeve about House of Cards is when they show them text messaging, and you're supposed to be able to read those tiny texted words. Makes it so I can't watch it as a background type thing, and even watching it intently is hard on anything less than a 50-inch screen.

Black Mirror

I only ever watched the first one. Does it get better? I was lukewarm on it.

I liked it but if you didn't like the first one, then you won't like the rest

I'll give one more a shot. I've enjoyed most of Charlie Brooker's stuff, his columns, Screenwipe etc. Bought me enough good faith to at least try an other hour.

• Like 1

Black Mirror

I only ever watched the first one. Does it get better? I was lukewarm on it.

I liked it but if you didn't like the first one, then you won't like the rest

I'll give one more a shot. I've enjoyed most of Charlie Brooker's stuff, his columns, Screenwipe etc. Bought me enough good faith to at least try an other hour.

it's an anthology series so every ep has different actors and a stand alone story...but all of them are a comment on current technology in some way so they have a similar feel

apparently there is a holiday 90 minute special airing in the UK starring Jon Hamm and a new season to start next year

Edited by Sixes

Been watching the Friday the 13th movies they added off and on. I don't know if I'll go past the fourth or fifth one, though.

you gotta watch em all

I know I gotta. I've just heard some bad things about the last few installments, and also didn't like what I've seen of them, and I'm afraid it will retroactively ruin the first ones, which I actually have had fun watching. But, I will push through it. Who knows, maybe I'll be shocked my how much I end up liking the final ones.

"Jason X" is actually better than what I was expecting (it still sucks of course) - I put off seeing it for years

I was actually looking forward to watching this one, because I saw it once awhile back and enjoyed watching it. It wasn't great, but I liked it and got a few odd laughs out of it. But unfortunately, they didn't add it. Also missing are "Jason Goes to Hell," "Freddy Vs. Jason," and the remake, but I'm okay with them not being there for the most part. I'd like to see Freddy Vs. Jason again sometime, but the other two are just kinda "whatever" to me. Probably wouldn't watch them even if they were on, honestly.

Been watching the Friday the 13th movies they added off and on. I don't know if I'll go past the fourth or fifth one, though.

you gotta watch em all

I know I gotta. I've just heard some bad things about the last few installments, and also didn't like what I've seen of them, and I'm afraid it will retroactively ruin the first ones, which I actually have had fun watching. But, I will push through it. Who knows, maybe I'll be shocked my how much I end up liking the final ones.

"Jason X" is actually better than what I was expecting (it still sucks of course) - I put off seeing it for years

I was actually looking forward to watching this one, because I saw it once awhile back and enjoyed watching it. It wasn't great, but I liked it and got a few odd laughs out of it. But unfortunately, they didn't add it. Also missing are "Jason Goes to Hell," "Freddy Vs. Jason," and the remake, but I'm okay with them not being there for the most part. I'd like to see Freddy Vs. Jason again sometime, but the other two are just kinda "whatever" to me. Probably wouldn't watch them even if they were on, honestly.

Jason goes to Hell sets up Freddy vs Jason at the end...

the remake is actually pretty good

• Like 1

I didn't mind the remake either, and I generally dislike Platinum Dunes films...it took it back to the style of the first 4 ( or 2-4) and bonus points for bag Jason.

I haven't seen it since back in the day, but I recall liking "Goes To Hell" the least of them all.

Nulla, have you seen Nightmare On Elm Street 2?

you gotta watch em all

Wait a second, is Goes to Hell the one that ends with that claw coming out of the ground? I could've swore that was one of the others, or something I just dreamed up. Well, guess I've already seen that one, haha. I'll probably check out the remake eventually, I just tend to shy away from remakes since they always seem to mess up in some way, in my experience.

you gotta watch em all

Wait a second, is Goes to Hell the one that ends with that claw coming out of the ground? I could've swore that was one of the others, or something I just dreamed up. Well, guess I've already seen that one, haha. I'll probably check out the remake eventually, I just tend to shy away from remakes since they always seem to mess up in some way, in my experience.

yes that's goes to hell but the movie sucks ...

the remake is definitely watchable...jason isn't as dumb as you think ;)

I didn't mind the remake either, and I generally dislike Platinum Dunes films...it took it back to the style of the first 4 ( or 2-4) and bonus points for bag Jason.

I haven't seen it since back in the day, but I recall liking "Goes To Hell" the least of them all.

Nulla, have you seen Nightmare On Elm Street 2?

Hmm... Well, it does sound like a better quality remake than most others I've seen. The bag Jason part sounds like a pretty cool part, too, since I really liked that about the second one. Might just be me, but I thought that was a lot scarier than the hockey mask I've always seen.

I think I have, but it's been a long time. Last time I sat down and watched an Elm Street movie was probably in the fifth or sixth grade. That's the better part of a decade away, so I don't remember a lot of the details. I don't recall anything about movies I saw around that period in general, since that was the age I had yet to care about proper storytelling and just liked things that involved explosions and gore scenes, so I may have seen it, but I might be mixing it up with one of the other movies. What happened in that one?

you gotta watch em all

yes that's goes to hell but the movie sucks ...

the remake is definitely watchable...jason isn't as dumb as you think ;)

I think I'm starting to remember more stuff about it. Was Goes to Hell also the one that started with him in the middle of some random situation, then he gets blown up after being shot a bunch? If so, I think I watched it when it was on Netflix, back when the Xbox 360 app layout had the red background. I seem to recall starting it back then, but then becoming very disinterested and just doing a bunch of other stuff while it was on in the background, until the end part. With that in mind, I don't think I'll look into seeing that one again anytime soon, haha.

Well, with all of the positive stuff being said about the remake here, I think I'll give it a watch sooner than expected.

NOES part 2 is chock full of homo erotica, it's hilarious.

Was it also the one where he really came to life at the end and killed a bunch of people at some kind of party? Because even 11 or 12 year old me thought that was beyond stupid. It's on Netflix apparently, so I might look into it to see if it's one of the ones I've seen.

• Like 1