Hip-Hop in 2014 Thread

Estranged Reality

Wayne's back:

Did anyone ask him where he was?

Talk about a tragedy. He was one of the best rappers in his prime, up through Carter III (which even had its fair share of haters, but which I still love). He sharply fell off right after the success of that record. I think the sizzurp killed all his brain cells. He's literally responsible for some of the absolute worst lyrics I've heard the last few years, some of the weakest verses in general.

This track is mediocre, btw.

He's produced so much music at such an insane clip that a lot of it is inevitably trash. There is some quality stuff strewn throughout, although not quite so much recently. Sobriety has brought out the worst in him... Rebirth is an unforgivably bad record.

He's the Nic Cage of the rap world in my opinion. Showcases his immense talent from time to time, yet still puts out shit that is hilariously bad. The new track sounds a lot better to me though and I'm actually looking forward to C5 now.

I tried to get into that album for a month back when it was big. I just couldn't get past the fact that it was a steaming pile of shit.

:lol:

Wayne is my rap version of GNR. It's become kind of embarrassing to admit that I love him, and sometimes I wonder if my taste went sideways somewhere along the path... but I do love him.

Edited by magisme

Guest Len B'stard

I tried to get into that album for a month back when it was big. I just couldn't get past the fact that it was a steaming pile of shit.

Wayne is my rap version of GNR. It's become kind of embarrassing to admit that I love him, and sometimes I wonder if my taste went sideways somewhere along the path... but I do love him.

Lemme tell ya, it went fuckin' sideways man :lol: From Ghostdeini and them, to that, thats proper fuckin' sideways man :lol:

Whether you want to admit it or not, as a whole package, Lil Wayne will go down as a legend.

Anyone listen to Migos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsk0zqYwxH4

Their mixtape, No Label 2, is just banger after banger from start to finish. They use the same flow (which btw, everyone is stealing) in every song, so if you like one you basically like them all.

• Like 1

Lemme tell ya, it went fuckin' sideways man :lol: From Ghostdeini and them, to that, thats proper fuckin' sideways man :lol:

I hear ya, but then the other part of me is like, you know what, I have seriously good taste, like across the board, so fuck y'all cuz I'm probably right and you missed the boat. :lol:

^That album was so good. The music is just so good and really matches whatever message he's trying to get through. What sucks about Tyler is, well, his rapping. He's a producer first, and a rapper second, he just does not care for rapping in the slightest. He says it in interviews and I used to think it was just him trying to be cool/rebellious but you can just tell when you listen to him. Rusty is probably his best rapping performance.

But really, almost every beat on that album is sick.

Funny guy too. His Adult Swim show can be hilarious. Can be.

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i only took a half a piiiiiiilll

I actually liked the song before I saw the video. Video made it even better for me.

Travis Scott's production is incredible, lots of Kanye influences. I'm just not really into his voice. If you guys haven't checked his music out then skip around his new album/tape a little bit:

http://www.ddotomen.com/2014/08/18/travis-scott-days-before-rodeo-album-stream/

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/08/chief-keef-is-still-my-superhero

Great article.

He's doing what Yeezus did. He's alienating fans who only wanted one thing from him. But for Keef it doesn't seem calculated the way it can with Kanye. Keef has always made music from the gut. He does what he feels. He takes creative risks, just instinctively.

Chief Keef has done absolutely nothing to deserve the attention he gets. His only good song is Don't Like and that's only because of Young Chop's beat and Pusha/Kanye. His verse on the cruel summer track sticks out like a dirty boot in a pile of Jordans.

I can only hope he doesn't get the Cobain bump when he gets shot at 21.

Edited by bacardimayne

You say that like he innovated a genre through talent and creativity. All he did was lower the bar.

"Keef has always made music from the gut. He does what he feels. He takes creative risks, just instinctively."

"I don't care how much time you spent creating your art, or even honing your skill. I'm looking to feel something. Seeing graffiti that was made in one night by flashlight can affect some people more profoundly than seeing the Sistine Chapel's ceiling."

• 3 weeks later...

I need to give "I" more listens. The thing with Kendrick is that his songs somewhat don't always work outside of the album, since it's so concepty. I'm assuming this is the first single off his upcoming album.

Chief Keef concert was alright. It began at 8 and openers ended around 9:40 (they were told to play later, i think). He didn't arrive at the building until 10:20 (40 mins after the openers ended), it was around then that i saw he tweeted that he just pulled up to TLA. The DJ kept saying "he'll be on soon everyone!" "10 minutes!" "3 more minutes", but he was never right. Then we had to wait another 15 minutes and the new DJ started playing the intro to Love Sosa (how he starts off his concerts), then this dude from backstage runs out and says "no no no hold on", so the DJ kept looping the intro to Love Sosa thinking he'd come out at some point but he didn't so he just stopped :lol: he eventually got on at like 10:40 with the glo gang and played for like 40 minutes.

With a show like that, the songs are played and he raps over them, but backs out a lot of the time to dance (he has a stagemove for every line), or smoke. His cousin Tadoe (also a rapper) gained a lot of appreciation from me, he really keeps the show going, he probably rapped as much as Sosa did.

Before he did Don't Like, his breakthrough song, he complained about having to do it because of how old it is. He did just as many current-era Keef songs as he did old hits, and he's much more animated and involved with the newer ones.

Edited by Jakey Styley