Steven Adler's My Appetite for Destruction

Axl shouldn't put out a book. But I'd be the first one to read it.

It depends what kind of book, I think a "making of Chinese Democracy" book and documentary would be a bestseller, but you'd need the side of the story that hasn't been told, former Interscope employees, and be able to put all the lawyer correspondence out there, because I'm sure that got really nasty. There's prob. a statute of limitations or some bullshit that has to expire.

Axl knows that putting out "his side of the story" will make him look bad since it's just the ramblings of a bipolar guy.

Just like Slash, Duff and Adler have holes in their stories because of substance abuse affecting their memory, Axl went through manic phases where he surely wouldn't be able to remember everything that happened.

If Axl didn't think he'd look crazy by putting out a book, he would have done it by now. It would just solidify that he's been crusading against the old band for no reason other than his own lunacy.

• Like 1

Steven didn't write his book and half of the things there were invented by someone who used to support him.

That's partially true. It was written by my ex-boyfriend Brooke Ellis. I was with him when we met Steven in 1999. The "made-up" stuff was Brooke recounting Steven's experiences that Brooke was actually witness to in the years that they were friends. It was hardly "half". What happened was Brooke wasn't finished interviewing Steven for the book but he was pressured to just wrap it up and was even told to make it up if he had to. But he wouldn't do that, and he knew everything about GNR anyway.

BTW - I played kinda clueless about the book before, but I was interested in the unbiased opinion of someone in regards to what happened, 'cause Steven and his people really screwed Brooke over.

• Like 1

Steven didn't write his book and half of the things there were invented by someone who used to support him.

That's partially true. It was written by my ex-boyfriend Brooke Ellis. I was with him when we met Steven in 1999. The "made-up" stuff was Brooke recounting Steven's experiences that Brooke was actually witness to in the years that they were friends. It was hardly "half". What happened was Brooke wasn't finished interviewing Steven for the book but he was pressured to just wrap it up and was even told to make it up if he had to. But he wouldn't do that, and he knew everything about GNR anyway.

BTW - I played kinda clueless about the book before, but I was interested in the unbiased opinion of someone in regards to what happened, 'cause Steven and his people really screwed Brooke over.

Thanks for these infos, lady rock3 :hug:

Axl shouldn't put out a book. But I'd be the first one to read it.

It depends what kind of book, I think a "making of Chinese Democracy" book and documentary would be a bestseller, but you'd need the side of the story that hasn't been told, former Interscope employees, and be able to put all the lawyer correspondence out there, because I'm sure that got really nasty. There's prob. a statute of limitations or some bullshit that has to expire.

And only Axl could really give the inside track on the making of CD. But if any of those guys like Finck or Tommy do a book we might get some insight.

• 5 months later...

Currently reading Adler's book.

I hate it, he's always taking credit for a lot of things, blaming Axl for insulting X or Y and then he does the same 20 pages later (Poison for example).

From the original 5, he always sounds to me like the guy who was there for the ride, not realising that the others were better then him. Just my 2ç.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the book, but if it wasn't written by Steven then it shouldn't have been written in first person.

It might be true that the real writer was screwed over by Steven and his people, but it seemed to me like he was himself trying to screw over the fans by writing as if he was Steven.

I don't think you understand how co-writers/ghostwriters work.

Duff and Slash's books are both great. Steven's not so much. I'd love to read it from Izzy's perspective just because I'd almost imagine it would be totally different to the others but that will never happen.

Axl's would just be refuting a lot of what was said in the others he didn't agree with.

I enjoyed the book, but if it wasn't written by Steven then it shouldn't have been written in first person.

It might be true that the real writer was screwed over by Steven and his people, but it seemed to me like he was himself trying to screw over the fans by writing as if he was Steven.

95% of celebrity memoirs and "autobiographies" are ghostwritten, and there's usually an acknowledgment of that on the cover ("as told to..." or "with" someone else). The ghostwriter is generally hired by either the publisher or the celebrity (or their agent). And yes, it's always in the first person, as though the celebrity wrote it themselves.

That's how ghostwriting works. Duff's memoir is truly unusual in that he wrote his own book, but he's a writer so he had the chops to do it. Most celebs don't.

I'm sorry to hear that your ex-bf was screwed over by Adler and his people. Is there anything that can be done? If he wrote the book he should be getting payment for it.

Edited by stella

I just wanna smoke crack all day and live on a bigger "wellfare" (aka paychecks from AFD and Lies)

At the end of the day, Steven is always a mess. he hasn't done anything memorable outside of this band so...

From 2 or 5 years from now on somebody will start a thread with a title: Steven Adler died at...

and probably some lifeless hipsters cupcake the shit ouf of that thread

I wasn't commenting on whether it's common or not.

If the book was written in its entirety by somebody else then it would have been more honest to just write it as an authorized biography and not as an autobio. Of course a lot of people don't care about honesty.

There's nothing dishonest about it at all. Anyone buying or reading the book clearly sees "Steven Adler and (ghost writer's name)" on the cover, so it's immediately clear that he had a ghostwriter.

I just wanna smoke crack all day and live on a bigger "wellfare" (aka paychecks from AFD and Lies)

At the end of the day, Steven is always a mess. he hasn't done anything memorable outside of this band so...

From 2 or 5 years from now on somebody will start a thread with a title: Steven Adler died at...

and probably some lifeless hipsters cupcake the shit ouf of that thread

This. 1000%. It's amazing to me that people comment on what a "nice guy" Steven is - yeah, a "nice guy" who beats up women and is a complete misogynist; takes credit for things he didn't do, embellishes and constantly blames everyone else for his troubles in life, without taking a single bit of responsibility for his own actions. Amyone else remember when he ditched his entire band in Europe, mid-tour - without warning, giving them plane ticket home or paying them - a few years ago?

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

Except the ghost writer on the cover is not the genuine ghost writer haha - again, read the stuff regarding Brooke.

I didn't miss that. I even replied to Brooke's ex earlier in this thread; sorry you missed that post. If he was screwed over I hope he can sue to get his fair share of the profits. But the OP for that comment was trying to say that it was dishonest to even use a ghostwriter and have the book in the first person; and that was what I was responding to. I don't like Adler and I think he's a slimy POS, but he wasn't claiming he wrote the whole thing himself and his use of a ghostwriter (albeit the wrong one) was acknowledged on the cover.'

Edited by stella