Steven Adler's My Appetite for Destruction

I just got done reading Stevie's book and thought it read pretty well, really captured the early days of the band pretty well.

What's the latest news on Stevie and Adler's Appetite?

At the end of the book he's just finished relapsing on Dr. Phil. I'm not sure what happened since then.

Oh and btw what's Stevie's problem you think? or was he really just the same as the other guys just more of a mess at crucial points. Like if he was sober for the making of UYI would he have been fine to tour and then been no more of a f up than anyone else?

Sorry I'm abit off topic but have you read slash Steven and duffs books? And if you have which do you prefer? I recently received slashes book as a gift so I'm starting off with that one

I liked both Duff's and Slash's. Slash's book tells the truth about Axl Rose, though.

Sorry I'm abit off topic but have you read slash Steven and duffs books? And if you have which do you prefer? I recently received slashes book as a gift so I'm starting off with that one

I think Slash might be the best as just a regular rock bio, all I remember about it is where those blue monsters chase him and a part where he said "drinking fucking vodka on the floor".

Duff's has more of a survivor appeal. I enjoyed Stevie's the most I think, it's just a series of fucked up shit. Maybe it's because it's from different perspective also he's hanging out with Poison, Ratt and the Crue.

I'd already read a few Slash bios before Slash. Duff's is like how I got sober. Stevie is still f'd up at the end of the book. very refreshing.

I preferred Duff's book. For one thing he actually wrote it himself without a ghost writer; for another he came across as a really intelligent, contemplative individual. I liked the way he seemed to assess situations from all sides and try to write about them objectively. Slash's book was also good. As to which one is true; they probably both are, because at the end of the day they are really aren't far apart in what they say. Duff and Slash are different people with different perspectives; their take on things isn't going to be identical.

I didn't care for Steven's book. The difference between him and the others is that he always seems to be blaming someone else for his issues. Slash and Duff both seemed to wake up and address their problems head on; Steven on the other hand always seemed to think that his situation was someone else's fault and just keep making excuses. He had a pretty shitty childhood, though, and I did feel badly for him for that.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

Axl would write his own book which is why it'll take 250 years to come out and he'll be the modern Poe with his tales of woe and madman catharsis which only ends with another question and the cryptic ciphers to the sequel will be placed in sentences that look just like regular sentences so his legend will live on and on.

• Like 1

I preferred Duff's book. For one thing he actually wrote it himself without a ghost writer; for another he came across as a really intelligent, contemplative individual. I liked the way he seemed to assess situations from all sides and try to write about them objectively. Slash's book was also good. As to which one is true; they probably both are, because at the end of the day they are really aren't far apart in what they say. Duff and Slash are different people with different perspectives; their take on things isn't going to be identical.

I didn't care for Steven's book. The difference between him and the others is that he always seems to be blaming someone else for his issues. Slash and Duff both seemed to wake up and address their problems head on; Steven on the other hand always seemed to think that his situation was someone else's fault and just keep making excuses. He had a pretty shitty childhood, though, and I did feel badly for him for that.

I think Slash or Duff would have bitched too if they got thrown out. Those guys threw him under the bus. But I agree somewhere he's more insecure. It wasn't clear from the book why. I didn't get that he had a shitty childhood. Him and Slash had similar childhoods?

Also I got impression he's lying about certain things. So it's just more fascinating.

I felt like Steven's book was just him whining about things. Like there was no point to it. Duff's was my favorite because it actually had something meaningful to say.

Stevens is like being a fly on the wall. He's pretty open about things. Slash and Duff seem to be presenting some propaganda. We're the good guys kind of thing. Stevie is like I'm a piece of shit but why?

Steven didn't write his book and half of the things there were invented by someone who used to support him.

The part where he got gang raped by 3 guys when he 14...was that true?

I mean that could effect someone...

Basically anyone can write a book with editors, they'll basically make it publishable.

Edited by wasted

I think Slash or Duff would have bitched too if they got thrown out. Those guys threw him under the bus. But I agree somewhere he's more insecure. It wasn't clear from the book why. I didn't get that he had a shitty childhood. Him and Slash had similar childhoods?

Also I got impression he's lying about certain things. So it's just more fascinating.

Oh yeah, of course they would have, but they also would have gotten past it, IMHO. Steven on the other hand is still blaming everything in his life for something that happened in 1990 and he hasn't moved on - and he's still denying his own part in it. If you're fucked up enough that the drug addicts (at that time) throw you out for doing too many drugs, there's a problem. The part about him being too high to work has been corroborated by a bunch of people, including those who have no reason to lie, like Tom Zutaut.

With the shitty childhood, I was referring to his statement that he was sexually abused - he briefly mentions it in this interview, too. Whatever else I might think of him, I have empathy for anyone who is a survivor of sexual abuse. http://www.classicbands.com/StevenAdlerInterview.html

I guess that must the root of his problems.

That is in the end what I was thinking, just let it go. Especially after Slash and Duff left as well. And I think he is there now. In retrospect he didn't really miss much.

out of all of them he seemed to really need the love being in GNR brought but he really loved all the trappings and lifestyle. He's only one who really seemed to love doing blow with Nikki Sixx. Must just be that he couldn't play. He just won't admit it to himself.

Slash didn't seem to really do enough to help him, to explain that was the reason. He was just kicked out, then shunned and them trying to rip him off by giving him just 2000 dollars and no more royalties. That's going to mess with you. It's like winning the lottery then losing the ticket. They raped him when he was at his weakest.

But actually he seems to have been alright, if he just gave up the speedballs could have just gone to lived by the beach or something. But then the book wouldn't be as entertaining.

I remember reading a quote from Slash where he essentially said that Steven lived the cliche of sex, drugs and rock n' roll. And then it was just drugs and rock n' roll. And then it was just drugs.

If he could have gotten off the drugs he could have probably gone on to play with another band...he's neither the first nor the last person to be booted from a successful group. A lot of the waste was what he did to himself with the drugs, and that seems to be continuing off and on. He's done some truly horrible things, such as beating up women (although we could talk about others in GnR...ahem...) and stranding his whole band in Europe a few years ago.

When he kept begging and pleading desperately for a reunion it was honestly sad. It was clear that he hadn't let it go and couldn't figure out how to go on and do anything else - and since he's spent so much on drugs and doesn't seem to be as financially set as the others, it was probably a money thing, too. Moving past that has probably been one of the best things he's done.

Edited by stella

It's pretty hard for a drummer to have a solo career. But the best he could do was get sober and be the best drummer he could be. I don't even know if he's a good drummer. The only thing you can say is they were all epically fucked for the most part of GNR. Duff's pancreas exploded, Slash had a pacemaker fitted. He just needed to get sober to do that UYI era. It seems like he wasn't that into the direction of Coma or Locomotive anyway. I guess he would have just been better being in Poison or Ratt. Some B division hair metal band who just wanted to have fun.

For people who asked about Axl's one

November 15th 2013 by Guns Of Truth :

Axl's autobiography will likely be out in the next 18 months. He feelsnits important to people's perception of him and GNR...its) - or that CD was misunderstood.Signing/posing for photos/hanging out after recent shows was a gesture on his part & I know he was...Hurt that it did little for his public reputation. He does care about you guys & wants to make you proud for supporting him.
Edited by Silent Jay

Axl's autobiography will likely be out in the next 18 months. He feelsnits important to people's perception of him and GNR...its) - or that CD was misunderstood.Signing/posing for photos/hanging out after recent shows was a gesture on his part & I know he was...Hurt that it did little for his public reputation. He does care about you guys & wants to make you proud for supporting him.

Man, that bullshit twitter account is still around? Lol.

I know, but I still consider him as an insider in a sense. Parts of it are truth, some not.

I know, but I still consider him as an insider in a sense. Parts of it are truth, some not.

I remember a lot of his "predictions" turning out to be bullshit, is there a single one that turned out to be true (that didn't originate from another source)?