If Other UYI Songs Were Released as Singles, Would They Still Be Successful Just Cuz Its from GNR?

YCBM hit #29 in the US top 100( for reference better hit #18 on the same chart) and #2 on the mainstream rock chart.

live and let die hit #20.

yesterdays peaked at #72

yeah so some of the illusion singles did great and others really were mediocre.

pretty tied up never charted.

Edited by bran

Wiki says that these songs were released as singles. Not sure how accurate that is?

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

I remember Pretty Tied Up being released as a single.

Don't remember the rest.

Was Estranged released as a single?

• Like 1

Wiki says that these songs were released as singles. Not sure how accurate that is?

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

Don't remember the rest.

Not sure either, but I have November Rain and KOHD, so they were released as singles as well.

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

I don't think The Garden was released as a single, it had a video, but it was never a single. I feel like it should've been a single, it's a great song. Dust N' Bones could've been a single too. Locomotive would've been good, but it's a little long. Breakdown could've been good too.

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

Don't remember the rest.

Not sure either, but I have November Rain and KOHD, so they were released as singles as well.

Do you know what the b-sides to those are?

Don't Cry had the alt lyrics version and the demo version

LALD had a live LALD and Shadow of Your Love

Yesterdays had a live version--and I believe that's the version on Live Era

You Could Be Mine had Civil War

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

Don't remember the rest.

I just took that info off of the GnR wiki page.

I live in a small town that didn't have a "rock station" or a station that played popular music, so I'm not sure if they were actually singles or just music videos maybe?

Estranged was definitely released as there was "chart" information about it on billboard.

I think maybe the wiki things are just combining songs that were released as radio singles, and singles/videos to MTV?

It seemed like there were about 10 videos off of the Illusions that were played on MTV.

And to this day, I'm still shocked that Civil War wasn't a top 10 hit.

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

Don't remember the rest.

Do you know what the b-sides to those are?

Don't Cry had the alt lyrics version and the demo version

LALD had a live LALD and Shadow of Your Love

Yesterdays had a live version--and I believe that's the version on Live Era

You Could Be Mine had Civil War

KOHD has the LP version and the live version. November Rain has SCOM and Patience.

• Like 1

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

Don't remember the rest.

I just took that info off of the GnR wiki page.

I live in a small town that didn't have a "rock station" or a station that played popular music, so I'm not sure if they were actually singles or just music videos maybe?

Estranged was definitely released as there was "chart" information about it on billboard.

I think maybe the wiki things are just combining songs that were released as radio singles, and singles/videos to MTV?

It seemed like there were about 10 videos off of the Illusions that were played on MTV.

And to this day, I'm still shocked that Civil War wasn't a top 10 hit.

I don't think Civil War was ever released as a single. It was the b-side to You Could Be Mine...or maybe it was considered a double-a-side? That's possible. But Civil War gets heavy rotation on classic rock radio moreso than You Could Be Mine...weird how those things go sometimes.

Yeah, The Garden, Garden Of Eden and Dead Horse were all released as videos---Garden of Eden got some good airtime on MTV, especially the second version with the scrolling lyrics.

Not sure if any of them were released as proper singles though.

The ones that make the rounds here are November Rain, LALD, and KOHD. Less frequent are Civil War and You Could Be Mine. Even less frequent is Don't Cry.

I think Garden of Eden and Perfect Crime could've done decent at various points in the last 20ish years.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

YCBM, Don't Cry, Live and Let Die, November Rain, KOHD, Yesterdays and Estranged (in select territories) were the singles from Use Your Illusion.

Civil War was an EP

Video promos were produced for Garden of Eden, The Garden and Dead Horse although none of those songs were singles. The three however were released as a 'video single' in the United Kingdom.

I have honestly never heard of a Pretty Tied Up single.

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

pretty tied up was a single.

dead horse was never released as a single but was given to radio stations in 1993 as a radio promo

garden of eden was a video single i think

i think 14 years was similar to dead horse

i think the garden was similar to garden of eden, a video single or promo.

YCBM, Don't Cry, Live and Let Die, November Rain, KOHD, Yesterdays and Estranged (in select territories) were the singles from Use Your Illusion.

Civil War was an EP

Video promos were produced for Garden of Eden, The Garden and Dead Horse although none of those songs were singles. The three however were released as a 'video single' in the United Kingdom.

I have honestly never heard of a Pretty Tied Up single.

dont know how legit this site is http://www.musicvf.com/Guns+N'+Roses.art

but it has the single being released in march of 1992 and hitting #35 on the rock charts

Garden of Eden, The Garden and Dead Horse were bundled together alongside a live version of Yesterdays (from 25th January 1992 in case anyone asks), as a VHS in the United Kingdom, as a cash-in on GN'R's upcoming Milton Keynes concert of 1993.

I still have my copy. Here is the front cover:

41k5FvBkXWL.jpg

As far as I am aware, there has never been a video promo, nor a single, for Pretty Tied Up or 14 Years.

Edited by DieselDaisy

With all due respect, GN'R were kinda dumb to release so many singles from the Illusion set. They over-saturated the market and as a result some of those songs didn't chart very well. Just because it was a double album doesn't mean there needed to be that many singles.

Also, do you seriously think songs like The Garden and Garden of Eden have the same catchy-ness and provoke that feeling of "I wanna sing along to this" like Welcome to the Jungle did?

Mind you, a song like Yesterdays only reaching #72 or whatever is surprising. You'd think a song as catchy as that would go higher, but again, GN'R had already over-saturated themselves by then and alternative rock was the new "it." The mainstream was kinda getting sick of GN'R by then

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

With all due respect, GN'R were kinda dumb to release so many singles from the Illusion set. They over-saturated the market and as a result some of those songs didn't chart very well. Just because it was a double album doesn't mean there needed to be that many singles.

Also, do you seriously think songs like The Garden and Garden of Eden have the same catchy-ness and provoke that feeling of "I wanna sing along to this" like Welcome to the Jungle did?

Mind you, a song like Yesterdays only reaching #72 or whatever is surprising. You'd think a song as catchy as that would go higher, but again, GN'R had already over-saturated themselves by then and alternative rock was the new "it." The mainstream was kinda getting sick of GN'R by then

It was the era. Metallica released five songs from The Black Album and the album only contains 12 songs to begin with. GN'R released six-seven singles from a 30-song album. This, understand, was the age when Jackson was releasing his entire album as singles.

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

The Garden - video release only

Garden Of Eden - video single

Dead Horse - 5" promo sent to radio, not avail for sale, so no chart position except mainstream rock radio

14 Years - same as above

PTU - same as above

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Dead Horse

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

The Garden - video release only

Garden Of Eden - video single

Dead Horse - 5" promo sent to radio, not avail for sale, so no chart position except mainstream rock radio

14 Years - same as above

PTU - same as above

Thanks Beatle!