Building owner installs spikes on floor in doorway .......

Dazey

I wouldn't want my imaginary wife and kids to have to walk past a bum to enter/exit the building, no way.

I had a bum ask me if I could spare him a couple of dollars the other day, said he didn't know where his next meal was coming from...I told him I didn't know where my next meal was coming from either: KFC or McDonalds!

Irremovable flowerpots. Society is ok with the lack of humanity and plenty of selfishness as long as it's well disguised. It's like the fact that homeless exist. It sucks and we are all very sorry about it... as long as they don't bother me and I don't have to see them when I get up to go to work.

And the doorway would look better too.

Don't get me wrong. The owners are in their right to put whatever they want and for the reasons they want, but something more subtle would avoid the condescending criticism.

I am laughing at everybody pointing out, 'private' property. Total straw man argument. Nobody is denying that the owner has a legal right to build the spikes: what - at least I am saying - concerns, morality.

There is a sort of extremity and mean-spiritness about it.

That's purely an aesthetic thing as I see it. If they'd installed a couple of concrete plant pots instead nobody would be saying a word.

The funny thing is, not only would a planter box of hardy plants do a better job, they would actually breathe a tiny breath of life and nature into an otherwise concrete, brick, steel and glass structure where no form of life, human or otherwise, is immediately apparent. If I really had to and I had some soft belongings with me I reckon I could stay the night there by laying my bum and shoulders in between the spikes and my soft belongings cushioning the rest of me from the spikes wouldn't be unbearable. At least it's dry. I'd probably tolerate a certain level of discomfort if it was a wet night in order to stay dry.

The tips of the spikes are actually chiselled off.

I am laughing at everybody pointing out, 'private' property. Total straw man argument. Nobody is denying that the owner has a legal right to build the spikes: what - at least I am saying - concerns, morality.

There is a sort of extremity and mean-spiritness about it.

Welcome to the 21st century.

The funny thing is, not only would a planter box of hardy plants do a better job, they would actually breathe a tiny breath of life and nature into an otherwise concrete, brick, steel and glass structure where no form of life, human or otherwise, is immediately apparent.

I suspect the studs (not calling them spikes anymore because they're not) were probably considered to be a quick, cheap and neat solution. I suspect that plants and plant pots would be more difficult to look after, more likely to get vandalised and the pots would probably become makeshift urinals sooner rather than later.

Edited by Dazey

The studs just make it uncomfortable to sleep on, it won't necessarily hurt anyone severely even if they fell on it. It's their private property, and it's not even in anyone's way. I honestly can't fathom why anyone would take issue with it.

But plant pots are not designed to hurt people.

Nor these unless somebody purposefully decides to lay down on them. From the way some people are going on you'd think they were actually going looking for people and sticking them with spikes.

Also the whole private property thing is in no way a straw man argument. It's a simple case of not wanting to walk out of your front door into piles of shit, piss and broken bottles.

I would just like to know how many of the people outraged about this would be saying the same thing if it were their doorstep.

Why doesn't every doorway - shop, house - do this. Drive the homeless, somewhere.... (we do not actually care, where, as long as it is not our door).

And why the conotation of homelessness and 'drunks', 'broken bottles' etc. All types of different people become homeless, for all types of reasons.

Edited by DieselDaisy

It's their doorway, they can do what they damn well please with it.

........ to deter homeless people.

Metal-spikes-outside-Lond-012.jpg?width=

Guardian readers go apeshit!

Council chiefs are being urged to launch an investigation after metal spikes were installed outside a luxury block of London flats to deter homeless people from sleeping in the doorway.

The inch-high studs in the main entrance to the deluxe privately owned apartments in Southwark Bridge Road have provoked outrage as homelessness charities slammed the "inhumane" practice.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/08/metal-spikes-london-flats-homeless

I'm sorry, what is the problem here?

Found the Americans.

But plant pots are not designed to hurt people.

Nor these unless somebody purposefully decides to lay down on them. From the way some people are going on you'd think they were actually going looking for people and sticking them with spikes.

Also the whole private property thing is in no way a straw man argument. It's a simple case of not wanting to walk out of your front door into piles of shit, piss and broken bottles.

I would just like to know how many of the people outraged about this would be saying the same thing if it were their doorstep.

Why doesn't every doorway - shop, house - do this. Drive the homeless, somewhere.... (we do not actually care, where, as long as it is not our door).

And why the conotation of homelessness and 'drunks', 'broken bottles' etc. All types of different people become homeless, for all types of reasons.

Because right outside my door there are alleys full of drunks and broken bottles who I wouldn't want kipping on my doorstep. I mean literally right outside my door too.

........ to deter homeless people.Metal-spikes-outside-Lond-012.jpg?width=

Council chiefs are being urged to launch an investigation after metal spikes were installed outside a luxury block of London flats to deter homeless people from sleeping in the doorway.

The inch-high studs in the main entrance to the deluxe privately owned apartments in Southwark Bridge Road have provoked outrage as homelessness charities slammed the "inhumane" practice.http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/08/metal-spikes-london-flats-homeless

Found the Americans.

Stupid Americans with their "respect of private property."

I don't understand, he should be forced to allow people to sleep on his private property?

I don't understand, he should be forced to allow people to sleep on his private property?

I'm not disagreeing with you - I was just pointing out that private property seems to be very important to Americans.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I was just pointing out that private property seems to be very important to Americans.
As opposed to the rest of us who just live in communes?
  • Like 1

I guess you're one of the few (non American) capitalists around here.

:lol:

Yes, with your free health care and saluting a picture of Mao every day before work.

margaret-thatcher-quotes21-vogue-8apr13-

I guess you're one of the few (non American) capitalists around here.

It's come to something when the definition of laissez‑faire capitalism is now "please don't piss yourself in my doorway". :lol:

Edited by Dazey

The funny thing is, not only would a planter box of hardy plants do a better job, they would actually breathe a tiny breath of life and nature into an otherwise concrete, brick, steel and glass structure where no form of life, human or otherwise, is immediately apparent.

I suspect the studs (not calling them spikes anymore because they're not) were probably considered to be a quick, cheap and neat solution. I suspect that plants and plant pots would be more difficult to look after, more likely to get vandalised and the pots would probably become makeshift urinals sooner rather than later.

Urinals? :huh:

Where is this place and what kind of barbarians inhabit it?

Help? Everyone is a Thatcherite/Reaganised (delete according to which side of the atlantic you are on) arsehole here. You never know, they might end up homeless; I hope for their sake, nobody thinks of building spikes on their bed-for-the-night. It does happen. I was reading about this millionaire stockbroker who ended up homeless.

Edited by DieselDaisy

........ to deter homeless people.

Metal-spikes-outside-Lond-012.jpg?width=

The inch-high studs in the main entrance to the deluxe privately owned apartments in Southwark Bridge Road have provoked outrage as homelessness charities slammed the "inhumane" practice.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/08/metal-spikes-london-flats-homeless

Found the Americans.

God damn right

clint-eastwood-o.gif