Slash on Duff with Axl "he told me he was going to fill in for whats his name.."

The problem with the 90's decade is that it started great for rock roll with GNR, Metallica, Skid Row, R.E.M., RHCP, etc but soon grunge developed with Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. My theory is this happened because GNR got out of the picture and when Nirvana started to fade away, I remember those years to be really empty for GNR fans, full of desperation and anxiety.

Internet wasn't very popular during that time. I for sure didn't get online until 1998, so between 1994 and 1998, Gunners were going crazy. We wanted a new album because TSI wasn't enough. We got a bone with SFTD and Dead Flowers with Gilby Clarke (can't believe I bought Gilbys album only because of that song). But then bad news broke our hearts. It was official.

The end of the 90's was a mess: Alanis, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Spice Girls, the Goo Goo Dolls, Usher...... Pop was coming back and RNR would never return as grandiose as in the beginning of the decade :(

Dunno how good a GNR album would have done in that period of time, but I remember being desperate for new album (that's why bought any crap like those mentioned above), so I'm pretty sure the fan base would have supported it. And that should have motivated them to keep making new great music while adapting to new times.

IMO, the reason why the decade started good for rock was the fact that the 80s stuff was still popular in the early 1990s. thrash was still popular so metallica picked up on those fans and created a bunch of new ones by catering to the hard rock fans of the time. by 1995 or 1996 people were looking for(and found) the next big thing, hair "swallows" metal all but died out, and people started finding the rap music of the time new and exciting same goes for grunge. this is why skid row in 1991 is #1 on the charts and in 1995 they are #35.

guns n roses had their time, if an album comes out in 1997 it isnt huge by any stretch IMO, it would do reasonably well, but it would never come close to the heights of AFD or the illusion albums. in 1997 the peoples tastes moved on and rock was nowhere near the top of anyones list. it is similar to people thinking CD was going to sell huge since it was gnr and it was the most hyped album of all time. rock has been dormant for a long time.

Perhaps Bran but since we have no idea what that album would have sounded like and even if it did not sell on the UYI levels if I was a betting man it would have sold more than ChiDem and Contraband and have to believe they could still sell out arenas back then so Axl, Slash and Duff would have made some serious $$$......

no doubt it would have sold more than CD and would have made money, but i just dont think it would be a top 10 selling type of album.

Would you be greatly insulted if somebody referred to you as "what's his name?"

No, but if I expected they knew my name then I would be open to the possibility that it was a deliberate jab.

Sure. Me too.

But I sure as hell wouldn't be offended by it.

When did GnR fans - and society in general - get so offended about everything and anything that happens. So the "cancer" that hasn't been in GnR for almost 20 years refers to a current member of GnR as "what's his names" and people are upset by it? If Axl referred to Slash as "old what's his name" I would chuckle and then never think about it again. It's not a big deal, it's not a major jab. People try way to hard to get offended. Posters on here have said way worse things about Slash than this comment about TS.

I don't know if it was a deliberate jab or not. And if it was.........is it really that big of a deal?

Do you think that Tommy is as offended and upset as some of the posters on here are?

Again I find myself amused by you being stupefied by other people allegedly being "offended and upset" when it is you who, to me at least, comes across as the most passionate and infused about the issue in this thread. I can only speak for myself but I am only slightly amused by Slash's unprofessionality but I assume that goes for most people participating in this thread. Whether you like it or not this is an entertaining little chapter in the soap opera that is GN'R.
Groghan comes across as very upset and offended to me. :shrugs:

People are still whining about this on behalf of Tommy? :violin: Possibly Slash does know his name(or not), but doesn't come up with it instantly when asked about the Duff thing so refers to him as "whats his name". Or maybe he doesn't care enough to remember since the replacement bass player many years ago stated his dislike for the original band's music. Come to think of it, it's a miracle Slash didn't go into a shell and die with such meanie talk from Tommy.

Seriously, if this is the toughest thing poor Tommy has to deal with, he's a lucky man. And some how, some way, hopefully he has the internal fortitude to fight through this and carry on. Let our thoughts and prayers be with him at such a tough time.

That Slash is cooooooold, man.........

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone believes Tommy is upset by this harmless comment from Slash. It is not the effect it has on Tommy that interests me, but the very fact that Slash said it. So for me this is only interesting because it seems to imply that Slash is at some level not really comfortable with Duff playing with GN'R or bitter about the fallout with the band or harbours some animosity towards Tommy, or any combination of these explanations, and THAT was actually surprising to me up till some time ago because I used to believe Slash was completely over GN'R and that taking the high road for him was the default. Now I am not so sure at all any more. And that is what I find interesting and slightly amusing.

• Like 4

My claims are not wrong. It's just an opinion and it is based on some evidence that has all elements pointing at the fact that he knows the name rather than not.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm saying they're not facts. It's not a fact that he knows Tommy Stinson's name but even if it is, there's nothing to prove that Slash didn't genuinely forget his name.

Your opinion cannot be a fact. You can't state that it's impossible that Slash doesn't know who Tommy is. There's always a possibility that he made a snarky remark because Slash wanted to be an asshole but that's just assumption and it will stay that way until and if an audio of said interview surfaces.

Sorry, I didn't read the rest of your post because it didn't make sense to continue after the line I have quoted.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Would you be greatly insulted if somebody referred to you as "what's his name?"

No, but if I expected they knew my name then I would be open to the possibility that it was a deliberate jab.

Sure. Me too.

But I sure as hell wouldn't be offended by it.

When did GnR fans - and society in general - get so offended about everything and anything that happens. So the "cancer" that hasn't been in GnR for almost 20 years refers to a current member of GnR as "what's his names" and people are upset by it? If Axl referred to Slash as "old what's his name" I would chuckle and then never think about it again. It's not a big deal, it's not a major jab. People try way to hard to get offended. Posters on here have said way worse things about Slash than this comment about TS.

I don't know if it was a deliberate jab or not. And if it was.........is it really that big of a deal?

Do you think that Tommy is as offended and upset as some of the posters on here are?

Again I find myself amused by you being stupefied by other people allegedly being "offended and upset" when it is you who, to me at least, comes across as the most passionate and infused about the issue in this thread. I can only speak for myself but I am only slightly amused by Slash's unprofessionality but I assume that goes for most people participating in this thread. Whether you like it or not this is an entertaining little chapter in the soap opera that is GN'R.
Groghan comes across as very upset and offended to me. :shrugs:

Of course you would think that.

20 pages over discussion over an insignificant comment by Slash.............pretty much reinforces that we all have nothing better to do with our time................ :lol:

Exactly.

The way people over-analyze anything that Slash/Axl do just so they can either worship or bash Axl/Slash/posters they don't like..........that's what I find amusing about a topic like this. It is VERY important to some people to do this. Very important.

My claims are not wrong. It's just an opinion and it is based on some evidence that has all elements pointing at the fact that he knows the name rather than not.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm saying they're not facts. It's not a fact that he knows Tommy Stinson's name but even if it is, there's nothing to prove that Slash didn't genuinely forget his name.

Your opinion cannot be a fact. You can't state that it's impossible that Slash doesn't know who Tommy is. There's always a possibility that he made a snarky remark because Slash wanted to be an asshole but that's just assumption and it will stay that way until and if an audio of said interview surfaces.

Sorry, I didn't read the rest of your post because it didn't make sense to continue after the line I have quoted.

IT IS a fact he knows Tommy Stinson name because it is IMPOSSIBLE he does not. LOL.

If there's someone from NuGNR Slash has heard his name more than Axl's name, that is Tommy Stinson and that name came from the mouth of Duff McKagan in more than one ocassion (not to mention the amount of years Stinson has been NuGNR bassist).

That's okay if you didn't read the rest of my post because finally, after several years of life experience, I've learned how to deal with nutcases and egotistical fucks, so now I only feel sorry for them and give a :) to all of their crap.

♫♪ I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me.... ♫

:)

Edited by tinyrobot

I often wonder how famous people can just forget their old band / the TV or movie series that carried on without them, and not have a single clue what is going on with them.

It has to be some level of narcissism.

If he just simply wanted to make fun of Mr. Stinson, even worse.

A horrible sentence from Slash, nevertheless.

He didn't forget the name. He was being intentional when pretending to ignore Stinson. Which of course, proved 100% Slash is butthurt about GN'R and still cares about it.

(like if he really didn't care AT ALL, he wouldnt even know Duff was filling in)

And some said the Axl Bud Ad got an overreaction... I like Slash's false coolness, makes the Axl fanatics so butthurt. How dare $la$h not know the name of the current bassist of nuGNR? It's not like Slash has his LIFE and CAREER to care about to remember the name of irrelevant people. He's so desperate for a reunion and the millions it will bring he's about to release another independent record :lol:

In the words of BrainSaber: SLASH OWNS YOU ALL.

• Like 1

IT IS a fact he knows Tommy Stinson name because it is IMPOSSIBLE he does not. LOL.

If there's someone from NuGNR Slash has heard his name more than Axl's name, that is Tommy Stinson and that name came from the mouth of Duff McKagan in more than one ocassion (not to mention the amount of years Stinson has been NuGNR bassist).

But you merely saying it is impossible doesn't make it indeed impossible. And so what if Slash has heard his name before? That doesn't mean that his name will 1. be remembered by Slash or 2. instantly recalled during an interview.

Was it an intentional dig? It could have been, but it could have not. I have my own opinion on the matter but the only fact is that nothing is fact in this case.

Edited by WhazUp

I often wonder how famous people can just forget their old band / the TV or movie series that carried on without them, and not have a single clue what is going on with them.

Probably the same way a non-famous person can leave a job and move on to their next workplace. Most people don't keep close tabs on their former workplace, whether it's a film set or an office. Moving on is healthier than sitting there dwelling on the past and worrying about minute details on a project that you're no longer involved in. You leave, you close the door, you move on to do something else.

Edited by stella

But you merely saying it is impossible doesn't make it indeed impossible. And so what if Slash has heard his name before? That doesn't mean that his name will 1. be remembered by Slash or 2. instantly recalled during an interview.

Was it an intentional dig? It could have been, but it could have not. I have my own opinion on the matter but the only fact is that nothing is fact in this case.

Your (and that's a plural, not attacking you personally) desperation to defend this musician clouds your ability to reason. You people do not reason when you try to defend the IMPOSSIBLE. Yaaaaaaaaay!! I said it again!! :hahafyou:

Should read and learn a bit more about RECENT MEMORY https://www.baycrest.org/MemoryandAging/Session_1/default_21.html

Wouldn't harm your braincells, dudes....

Edited by tinyrobot

My post isn't about defending Slash, it is about defending basic logic and the futility of calling the possibility of what I just said as impossible :shrugs:

basic logic?

ok, basic logic basically says that printed interviews conducted by professional journalists would never print out small mistakes made by an interviewee.

Slash was quoted exactly as he expressed himself, so there's no room for doubts and probabilities. He said what came out printed and we don't need an audio version to confirm it.

Mr. Slash did not forget a name, otherwise, we would have to unfairly assume the guitarist is suffering from memory loss and dementia. And that wouldnt be a nice assumption.

Specially because Mr. Slash was able to remember his friend Duff filled in for his former band GN'R, therefore he had a RECENT conversation in which Stinson's name came up in one way or another.

lol 22 pages.

If you were watching interviews with Slash from time to time you would know that's something that happens some times with him, for any subjects. When he was promoting his horror movie for exemple he sometimes couldn't remember the specific name of a movie or the name of a producer or an actor, even though they were movies that he likes. So you expect him to know the name of a guy from Axl's touring band?

Edited by Kapitch_77
  • Like 2

So either Slash is butthurt and trying to look cool, or he's genuinely stupid. My money goes on both.

Made me lol

Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter but I don't think it's out of the question the Slash really doesn't know Stinsons name. Plus....who cares.