Can we actually help GNR?

Well, if someone says, "Axl doesn't owe you anything" as a response to someone saying they want a new record, then it is sort of a weird and irrelevant reply. But of course it is factually and morally correct. No matter how long you have been a fan of the band, and no matter how much you have "defended" the band, the band still doesn't owe you anything. There is no forced obligations on their part as a result of your own fully personal choices. You cannot decide to support the band and then it will automatically cause the band to be in any obligation to you. This is not how the relationship between artists and fans work. This might feel unfair to fans who invest time and emotions into a band, but again, that is solely their decision. As long as the artist gives you art in return for the money you spend, then they have fullfilled any obligations they might have. If it was the other way, then artists would be forced to create just as a direct influence of being popular and having a devoted following, regardless of whether they are inspired, creative, etc. They would basically be artistically imprisoned as a result of their own success which doesn't really make for great art, in most cases.

Without getting into an overly long discussion/debate over this - Correct, the band doesn't owe any fans anything, however, still doesn't mean I can't dislike it when said, or be a tad annoyed that line is rolled out whenever someone says 'I wish GNR would release a new album'.

Yeah, as I said it is both a weird and an irrelevant response.

P.S. Am sure I've seen you on HTGTH, so I'm sure you have seen that line been rolled out a few times.

I only go there for concert setlists. But I have seen people say that they are owed music because they "have paid for Axl's house", "have defended Axl for 25 years", and "have been fans since they were kids", and other similar reasons, both here and other other forums.

• Like 1

Well, if someone says, "Axl doesn't owe you anything" as a response to someone saying they want a new record, then it is sort of a weird and irrelevant reply. But of course it is factually and morally correct. No matter how long you have been a fan of the band, and no matter how much you have "defended" the band, the band still doesn't owe you anything. There is no forced obligations on their part as a result of your own fully personal choices. You cannot decide to support the band and then it will automatically cause the band to be in any obligation to you. This is not how the relationship between artists and fans work. This might feel unfair to fans who invest time and emotions into a band, but again, that is solely their decision. As long as the artist gives you art in return for the money you spend, then they have fullfilled any obligations they might have. If it was the other way, then artists would be forced to create just as a direct influence of being popular and having a devoted following, regardless of whether they are inspired, creative, etc. They would basically be artistically imprisoned as a result of their own success which doesn't really make for great art, in most cases.

Without getting into an overly long discussion/debate over this - Correct, the band doesn't owe any fans anything, however, still doesn't mean I can't dislike it when said, or be a tad annoyed that line is rolled out whenever someone says 'I wish GNR would release a new album'.

P.S. Am sure I've seen you on HTGTH, so I'm sure you have seen that line been rolled out a few times.

I only go there for concert setlists. But I have seen people say that they are owed music because they "have paid for Axl's house", "have defended Axl for 25 years", and "have been fans since they were kids", and other similar reasons, both here and other other forums.

Hehe, 'I paid for your house Axl, now get that album out' lol. I think the frustrating thing for me is knowing that they have material, I don't really have the same want to hear a record with the current lineup tbh, I wanna hear the Bucket, Robin & Brain stuff as untouched as possible, and Axl could release it tomorrow if he wanted, however, it still seems so far away, despite having songs that are probably near 15 years old sitting there :cry:

• Like 1

Hehe, 'I paid for your house Axl, now get that album out' lol. I think the frustrating thing for me is knowing that they have material, I don't really have the same want to hear a record with the current lineup tbh, I wanna hear the Bucket, Robin & Brain stuff as untouched as possible, and Axl could release it tomorrow if he wanted, however, it still seems so far away, despite having songs that are probably near 15 years old sitting there :cry:

It's such a weird situation for fans to be in: A legendary artist now in his 50s who has released way too little music in his career and who for cryptic reasons has decided to focus on touring for many years when he allegedly had lots of material more or less finished and ready to be released. I mean, a fan may want more music but not get it for many normal reasons, like the artist being deceased, a band having split up, an artist having retired, and so on.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

It's such a weird situation for fans to be in: A legendary artist now in his 50s who has released way too little music in his career and who for cryptic reasons has decided to focus on touring for many years when he allegedly had lots of material more or less finished and ready to be released. I mean, a fan may want more music but not get it for many normal reasons, like the artist being deceased, a band having split up, an artist having retired, and so on.

This goes through my head almost daily - and I come on here daily hoping to read 'Exclusive - Axl announces new album to be released later this year'.. The worry is that we genuinly won't get any new music until he passes away :cry:

• Like 1

This goes through my head almost daily - and I come on here daily hoping to read 'Exclusive - Axl announces new album to be released later this year'.. The worry is that we genuinly won't get any new music until he passes away :cry:

It's a real possibility. It's also possible we won't get anything after he passes away if he chooses to destroy it. I am not saying that is plausible, but we are dealing with an...eccentric personality here. But personally I am confident we will get new music in, say, 5 years time. He works on Axl-time, things takes a long time and he will not release anything untill it to him is ready for release or before he has finished with whatever occupies his mind at the moment (which right now has been touring, but this might change any day). If I can just distance myself from my own desire for new music then it is actually a bit fascinating. It's like a surrealistic soap opera, and for most of the time that soap opera is all we have and all we are getting.

• Like 1

That's all well and good, but I have no idea who you're talking about. Can we get someone in here who actually thinks they are "owed" an album?

You are exactly right Mags. Nobody actually is "demanding" or thinks that GnR literally owes them an album. That's just a weird argument that a small segment on here makes if somebody is talking about the delay between albums or if they are saying they wish their favorite singer/band would release more music. They take everything WAY too literal.

It is interesting though that most band members will say that they owe everything to their fans, without their fans they'd be nothing, etc. And how Beta/Fernando/Del seem to not really enjoy GnR's rapid fan base. Not everybody is a "cupcake" or "hater" and not everybody is rabid crazy like Matteous and Warchild. The majority of fans aren't at those two extremes.

I think 95% of the fans out there just love rock music, love Axl's voice, love what the singer has created and really wish he would share more of his music with them. The majority of posters on here and rock fans out there really want nothing but the best for Axl and wish him nothing but success. Yes, the selfish aspect of that is "success" for Axl means the singer is releasing kick-ass music for his fans to enjoy! Everybody wins!!!

Imagine a world where we didn't have to read about beta, or about Fernando's three hour meetings, or about Del lashing out at fans, or if BBF was quitting or not, and how bad/good is DJ as a guitar player..........and instead we came to here to debate which of the three or four post-Slash GnR albums were better. Which song was better - General, Estranged or Twat? Do you like Soulmonster better than SCOM? That's what we should be talking about!!!

• Like 1

Guns could have been a band with 20 albums out by now, or 2 albums out at this stage of their career.

To be fair, the brilliance of the music when it comes, and the oddness that happens in between, has formed a bizarre community and corner of the internet that I will forever return to, probably, until my demise.

Some of you are a little wacky, but I doff my hat to all past, present and future posters on all forums

:headbang: