Do you watch the News?

arnold layne

Why the fuck do people watch the news?

Don't give me that 'it's good to stay informed' bullshit. The news sucks. It's just a fucking mood killer. If you wanna feel sad and hate everything then by all means watch the news, but if you want to try and maintain a happier frame of mind, I don't understand why anyone would even consider.

My old man watches Fox News every morning, and every morning I just want to take a fucking baseball bat and beat the shit out of the TV.

It's just a horrible way to wake up in the morning.

But pretty much everything makes you angry, doesn't it?

You are bitter about almost everything except for drugs and alcohol, so through YOUR eyes - the news is bad and another source to add anger and hatred into your life.

For most people, they don't see everything as a negative, so they can watch the news without letting it mentally effect them as much as it does you.

Your father watching the news makes you want to smash the tv with a baseball bat? That's a you issue, not a TV or news issue.

Why the fuck do people watch the news?

Don't give me that 'it's good to stay informed' bullshit. The news sucks. It's just a fucking mood killer. If you wanna feel sad and hate everything then by all means watch the news, but if you want to try and maintain a happier frame of mind, I don't understand why anyone would even consider.

My old man watches Fox News every morning, and every morning I just want to take a fucking baseball bat and beat the shit out of the TV.

It's just a horrible way to wake up in the morning.

But pretty much everything makes you angry, doesn't it?

You are bitter about almost everything except for drugs and alcohol, so through YOUR eyes - the news is bad and another source to add anger and hatred into your life.

For most people, they don't see everything as a negative, so they can watch the news without letting it mentally effect them as much as it does you.

Your father watching the news makes you want to smash the tv with a baseball bat? That's a you issue, not a TV or news issue.

You cannot tell me, in your honest opinion, that the news adds a positive perspective to life. This is simply untrue. The news is good causes depression, anxiety, and hatred.

Whether or not it is informative is another debate. My point here is that there are better, healthier ways to start your day rather than watch the news.

Today I locked myself in the basement and ate my breakfast in the dark. I cannot deal with any distractions before I go to work.

It is what I prefer to do and I don't consider it a problem. I consider it as type of meditation.

• Like 1

Actually, I do get your point and agree with you.

I always start the day with something that I enjoy. Currently I'm going through my Calvin and Hobbes hardcover set. First thing I do when I wake up is read on those for about 10 minutes. Then I get up and eat and watch a movie or a little TV (usually something funny) or write a bit. Then shower. Then get my little kids up.........so my 90 minutes of the day is always filled with happy things.

The theory being that if you wake up and are immediately happy and laughing, then the rest of your day should follow suit.

I usually don't check the news until I've been at work for an hour or two.

It would be more appealing if they learned but they've been making the same mistakes over and over again on the news. It's like watching Breaking bad on repeat for 20 years. Back for new season of War, Terror and Poverty. Stop killing each other! Is it really worth the loss of life to live on one area of sand over another. Stop praying too. Get off your knees and buy an Xbox.

Actually, I do get your point and agree with you.

Currently I'm going through my Calvin and Hobbes hardcover set. First thing I do when I wake up is read on those for about 10 minutes.

Off topic, but: Groghan, you're a Calvin and Hobbes fan ? From now on, you can do no wrong anymore :wub:

i get my news mostly from reading online and the radio. i do watch tv news on occasion but it is mostly pbs or my local news. i will browse by fox,cnn, msnbc every so often when a big story comes up, like to see what both sides are ranting about.

But not everything is negative on the news. I watch the news for the sport for instance and often the local news contains trivial news items such as a story about somebody's cat been trapped in a garage for a month (but surviving through some miracle). Maybe this is a British thing though.

I like how after all the terror and hatred they show a dog that can play chess better that most grown ups.

Basically bad news sells. If it was just reporting on the Bakewell show nobody would watch. I think it just makes people feel better after there dinner to check out all the misery. So they go to bed grateful for small mercies. Resolved to spring back out of bed for another 12 shift at the supermarche.

You cannot tell me, in your honest opinion, that the news adds a positive perspective to life. This is simply untrue. The news is good causes depression, anxiety, and hatred.

This is completely subjective. I have never felt depressed, anxious or hateful after watching the news. Just mild sadness or mild happiness but in most cases complete indifference yet always interested.

This is completely subjective. I have never felt depressed, anxious or hateful after watching the news. Just mild sadness or mild happiness but in most cases complete indifference yet always interested.
Sounds like the attitude of a man that appreciates objectivity in his news as opposed to tabloidesque emotional fodder.

But not everything is negative on the news. I watch the news for the sport for instance and often the local news contains trivial news items such as a story about somebody's cat been trapped in a garage for a month (but surviving through some miracle). Maybe this is a British thing though.

Same here in Norway...but we don't live in a nation of fear!!!

My husband watches Fox News regularly. They keep him convinced each and every day we are on the verge of WWIII. When we have guests I warn them in advance not to mention Obama. :)

your husband is an idiot.

no offense.

I'm not offended. I understand some of the most sensitive people can be the cruelest.

Same here in Norway...but we don't live in a nation of fear!!!

I love reading the paper and finding out what Tone Damli is up to now.

Try watching the news after England have choked in, yet another World Cup or Euros. The words ''depressed, anxious and hateful'' would not even cover the emotion felt.

But thinking about the news, usually you have a war or plane crash in first or second position. Then you have those neutral sort of stories about the economy or a political conference. Then you have a story about a tory getting caught on clapham common with a rent boy. Then you get the sport - which is why watch; the sport is sometimes positive, sometimes depressing (whenever the England football team are concerned). Then the weather. It is not really, all death. It just so happens that we are going through a bad period right now with three wars running side by side (Iraq, Ukraine and Palestine).