Do you watch the News?

arnold layne

Why the fuck do people watch the news?

Don't give me that 'it's good to stay informed' bullshit. The news sucks. It's just a fucking mood killer. If you wanna feel sad and hate everything then by all means watch the news, but if you want to try and maintain a happier frame of mind, I don't understand why anyone would even consider.

My old man watches Fox News every morning, and every morning I just want to take a fucking baseball bat and beat the shit out of the TV.

It's just a horrible way to wake up in the morning.

• Like 4

I used to always watch the news, but now I seldom do anymore. I read the paper or read the news online, on different websites. It bothers me how coloured the tv news often is. In interviews with politicians, reporters never seem to ask the questions I want them to ask, and if the politician says something questionable, they never ask a follow-up question. (Don't know the exact word, hope you get what I mean.) There's never a tough question, or if they don't like the politician, they twist his words.

Furthermore, I used to work in the financial world and I was really perplexed as to how often journalists get it all wrong. They were so biased, and often even factually wrong, that I have a hard time believing what they say now about things that I know nothing about. Incredibly frustrating, as I like to know and understand what's going on in the world.

• Like 2

What OP said.

I don't have a TV precisely for those reasons. I don't see the point in reading awful stuff happening to other people.

It's not like I can fix the planet or force people to be good to each other so I'd rather not hear about anything as I already work relatively hard on maintaining a good mood and a high level of energy no matter what.

No point in making it even harder.

Yes but only selective. I'll often wait for the newscast to finish airing so I can select the segments that interest me on the channels' website. I watch most news reports online which also allows you to cross reference with other media outlets who have better or more up to date information. Also, news shows in Belgium are for the most unbiased and report the news objectively, I'm not a fan of so called 'commentators' or opinion makers who report news facts with a spin.

A few years ago my stress level was at a dangerous point. I was given a list of things to do and one was to stop watching the news. It made a difference and is the one thing I stuck with. You don't get the repeated shots of negativity that has to have an impact on your health eventually, and somehow you will still get the information you need to know.

There is enough heavy stuff to deal with in your own life, forget having to also deal with the heavy stuff in the rest of the world.

Furthermore, I used to work in the financial world and I was really perplexed as to how often journalists get it all wrong. They were so biased, and often even factually wrong, that I have a hard time believing what they say now about things that I know nothing about. Incredibly frustrating, as I like to know and understand what's going on in the world.

Yes, yes, yes. Once you become well versed in an aspect of the world it's horrifying to see what respected journalists say on the subject. You do get the sense they genuinely have no idea what they're talking about, which they don't. Television is the worst, but it's true across the board.

• Like 1

Because I like to be informed about what is happening both in my own region, my own country and world-wide. If I wasn't paying attention to the world beyond exactly where I am, I wouldn't be informed enough to vote, share opinions, plan for the future, etc. It would also hurt me professionally because being completely ignorant about world events really doesn't impress anyone.

I watch the evening news every day, I also read newspapers both on the web and on paper.

• Like 1

Because I like to be informed about what is happening both in my own region, my own country and world-wide. If I wasn't paying attention to the world beyond exactly where I am, I wouldn't be informed enough to vote, share opinions, plan for the future, etc. It would also hurt me professionally because being completely ignorant about world events really doesn't impress anyone.

I watch the evening news every day, I also read newspapers both on the web and on paper.

You're talking to an American. Being ignorant of the world is their thing. Don't take it away from them.

As for me, everything SoulMonster said. I also find it a great way to relax at work with a latte in hand.

Will never watch the news, it's purely sensationalism meant to gain ratings as opposed to presenting real ideas and events. Especially now with the increasing success of openly-biased news organizations I can see no reason why someone would watch it. Most news organizations are owned by a media conglomerate that has ties to a political party anyway. Just don't want to support something like that.

I believe a good national news service that is neutral and presents quality content is important for a functioning democracy. People must somehow be informed about current events to be able to make reasonable decisions when voting. If people turn away from following the news because they don't trust the impartiality of the news provider or because the news aren't important to them, then they become uninformed as a result, less likely to make informed decisions when voting, and ultimately democracy suffers.

I believe a good national news service that is neutral and presents quality content is important for a functioning democracy. People must somehow be informed about current events to be able to make reasonable decisions when voting. If people turn away from following the news because they don't trust the impartiality of the news provider or because the news aren't important to them, then they become uninformed as a result, less likely to make informed decisions when voting, and ultimately democracy suffers.

Is this aimed at the Americans haha?

I don't watch television at all, so I don't 'watch' the news by default. :)

The only 'news' I hear at all is on the radio when I'm driving to work. A 3 minute report at 8am and even then I'm probably scanning my FB newsfeed at the same time so really not paying any attention to it whatsoever. :lol:

The only 'news' I hear at all is on the radio when I'm driving to work. A 3 minute report at 8am and even then I'm probably scanning my FB newsfeed at the same time so really not paying any attention to it whatsoever. :lol:

You're on Facebook while driving to work? :nervous::lol:

I was thinking the same.

Hence the 17 car accidents she got into last year.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I couldn't pass that one up.

Also thx for the Emma Stone fix. What a goddess.

• Like 1