Ace Frehley wants Slash on his next album

WFA

'Anastasia' - as well as 'Serial Killer' (solo), 'NR' (finale solo, Coma (whole song really) - is fairly good evidence of how stylistically progressive Slash can be. All those songs show that Slash plays frequently, outside minor pentatonic.

But Anastasia doesn't reflect the quality of the album it belongs to. Slash's November Rain outro was written when Slash was in his prime. Coma too.

It's not that Slash is not capable of making a great album, it's just that for whatever reason, it's not happening. Just one or two, maybe three really good songs on each release. Slash is better then that imo. I think he's lazy and doesn't really want to push himself. Do the work. Or maybe he needs someone with enough influence to push him to create a great album. With Contraband, he had Duff and Matt, and the hunger to truly show everyone he could do it. Now, that's not the case.

Edited by Rovim

I am been narrower than you here in the fact that I am discussing lead guitar work, and how Slash strays from minor pentatonic. Even on your most basic pub rocker from Apocalyptic Love, Slash rarely stays purely in ‘blues box’; he tends to stray into interesting areas - unlike Ace. Songwriting wise, I am the first to admit that Slash needs a good collaborator such as Stradlin or Rose, to bounce his ideas off.

I am been narrower than you here in the fact that I am discussing lead guitar work, and how Slash strays from minor pentatonic. Even on your most basic pub rocker from Apocalyptic Love, Slash rarely stays purely in ‘blues box’; he tends to stray into interesting areas - unlike Ace. Songwriting wise, I am the first to admit that Slash needs a good collaborator such as Stradlin or Rose, to bounce his ideas off.

But even most of Slash's solos on AL left a lot to be desired imo. Also, his main Bent To Fly solo is meh, even if the first lead break in the song is really cool. Even when it comes to his lead guitar work, it's not consistent. There is a decline in quality. Just compare his great By The Sword solo to most of AL's solos. A lot of the shit is improvised, and it sounds like not enough thought and takes went into it.

In his Guns days, almost every solo was great. Now it's the other way around imo.

Well, I think his riffs... or his songs are still really good, but Myles doesn't do the best of it.

When I first heard the beginning of the 3rd webisode I was just "whaah, what the fuck?!"...

But when I listen to World On Fire now - I don't know. There is something on Myles, maybe his lyrics or his melodys or whatever, that lacks quality. It isn't Slash's work at all that is that bad, he does a great job most of the time.

I was not very impressed by Scott when they did VR and still I want them to find another singer, but I don't want it to be Myles.

I think thats the main reason why many of Slash's songs aren't that good like they deserve to be.

When I hear the instrumentals of the songs they are most of the time better than with vocals.

Edited by Free Bird

Between Obsession Confession, Nothing To Say, Slither, Always On The Run, Anastasia, A Saint Is A Sinner Too, that Clowns 3D piece and Ain't Life Grand, you've got a pretty wide range of what the guy can do. Not every rock player does.

Please... If I remember correctly you're a Jeff Beck fan. You're a Gary Moore fan as well. Look at other rock players and their career and output. Compared to that, what Slash does is not a wide range at all, it's keeping it interesting with taking small turns here and there.

Interesting case Jeff Beck, he himself is not really a great writer, all the great stuff he's done is either a cover, written by someone else, or a collaboration where he adds his playing to his partner's composition. Always manages to fit his style in, or rather his style fits in on anything. But not much of his great work was initiated by him. Gary Moore although I like his lead playing, I've never heard much of his stuff that's stood out to me composition-wise that didn't have Phil Lynott involved. But compared to them or not, doesn't narrow Slash's range of styles he's played any.

Between Obsession Confession, Nothing To Say, Slither, Always On The Run, Anastasia, A Saint Is A Sinner Too, that Clowns 3D piece and Ain't Life Grand, you've got a pretty wide range of what the guy can do. Not every rock player does.

Please... If I remember correctly you're a Jeff Beck fan. You're a Gary Moore fan as well. Look at other rock players and their career and output. Compared to that, what Slash does is not a wide range at all, it's keeping it interesting with taking small turns here and there.

Interesting case Jeff Beck, he himself is not really a great writer, all the great stuff he's done is either a cover, written by someone else, or a collaboration where he adds his playing to his partner's composition. Always manages to fit his style in, or rather his style fits in on anything. But not much of his great work was initiated by him. Gary Moore although I like his lead playing, I've never heard much of his stuff that's stood out to me composition-wise that didn't have Phil Lynott involved. But compared to them or not, doesn't narrow Slash's range of styles he's played any.

That's fine, but do you deny the claim that Slash is lazy in the studio? it's like he can't wait to fuck off from there and get back onto the stage. He once said he liked to pour his heart and soul into recordings. What happened? Maybe it's the contrast between powerful frontmen that is missing, or just that is missed by me.

I think the last time I've heard it was on Contraband. I still can't wait to hear World On Fire, I just automatically lower my expectations, and that's not how I want to welcome a new Slash release. I actually think Myles did a good job on Bent To Fly. I don't think he's the main problem.

Lack of inspiration. And it gets worse with every new release imo. Hopefully, I'm wrong, and it's better then AL, but I'm not holding my breath. I think it will be a good album with 2 or 3 really cool tunes, and the rest will be Slash by the numbers.

Edited by Rovim

Thing is, as much as people praise VR, that had a lot less Slash playing in it, than his solo albums have so far. It's like Scott's influence, and the pressure to be modern/relevant, somewhat stifled the kind of playing Slash likes to do, because even though it worked in Contraband to a degree, Libertad had such a restraint feel guitar-wise. If anything I'd say the 2 solo albums post VR have let him play exactly what he wants, when he wants.

Thing is, as much as people praise VR, that had a lot less Slash playing in it, than his solo albums have so far. It's like Scott's influence, and the pressure to be modern/relevant, somewhat stifled the kind of playing Slash likes to do, because even though it worked in Contraband to a degree, Libertad had such a restraint feel guitar-wise. If anything I'd say the 2 solo albums post VR have let him play exactly what he wants, when he wants.

I totally agree with that. But Contraband did have Slither, Fall To Pieces, and Set Me Free. (Sucker Train Blues, You Got No Right, and basically almost every song) So something obviously worked there. Something, you can call it a fire, that was missing in at least AL imo. I prefer Slash to play like Slash. I know what you mean, I remember the first time I've listened to Contraband back when it came out, and I loved it, but I was going "what the fuck, why is Slash not playing as much leads as on all the Guns and Snakepit albums?" It was a problem, but at least the quality was there, and it was consistent.

I think 10 years is a long time, and maybe Slash is content doing what he's doing, but the passion, inspiration, and hunger are missing imo. But it was still there in his first solo album in some capacity. By The Sword, Watch This, and Mother Maria all contain great guitar leads and solos imo.

Just a thought, but I think that if Axl was available to Slash musically, all of those things that bother me would have gone away and I believe it's just a question of mining it out of Slash. It's all still there, but he really needs someone with a strong personality AND a musical ability that matches his own to do truly brilliant shit. Like he did with Axl, and even with Scott.

Doesn't have to be Axl, or some other crazy person. Just someone who can get Slash interested in even attempting a less disposable approach that mainly just serves his live performances. Maybe someday.

Edited by Rovim

A lot of that comes from compromise in collaboration. He's done that for a long time since starting out back in the 80s. But at this stage in his career you can tell he's probably lost the taste for going back and forth fighting for an idea. He went solo and had success with it. The success probably validates the decision in his mind, and as I said he gets to play what he wants and how he wants. So I don't really see him going back to a band situation honestly. Unless he needed the money or something.

• Like 1

can't really say much as I'm not a musical expert. If the song sounds good - I like it. If not - I don't. Sometimes not having a trained ear is a good thing as you aren't effected by all the technical aspects of a song. I absolutely love Anastasia, but find Fall To Pieces and Set Me Free boring as can be.

I'm always interested in collaborations by well known/respected musicians. Would be interesting to see what these two guys can come up .

can't really say much as I'm not a musical expert. If the song sounds good - I like it. If not - I don't. Sometimes not having a trained ear is a good thing as you aren't effected by all the technical aspects of a song. I absolutely love Anastasia, but find Fall To Pieces and Set Me Free boring as can be.

I'm always interested in collaborations by well known/respected musicians. Would be interesting to see what these two guys can come up .

I think Ace is a better songwriter then Slash, and Slash is a better lead player compared to Ace. I don't think the similar style will hold them back. They can try to write one song, and see how it goes. My guess is it will be cool, cause Slash respects Ace, and Ace really wants Slash on his album.

• Like 1

Although Slash is on record as having said, ''he fuckin' hated Kiss'' when he was growing up. He was Blue Army you see. In America at the time, you tended to be a Kiss fan or an Aerosmith (a bit like the Stones v The Beatles). Adler was Kiss Army and the pair would have scraps about, 'who was better?'

There is also that long standing feud between Slash and Stanley (not that that would worry Ace).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Although Slash is on record as having said, ''he fuckin' hated Kiss'' when he was growing up. He was Blue Army you see. In America at the time, you tended to be a Kiss fan or an Aerosmith (a bit like the Stones v The Beatles). Adler was Kiss Army and the pair would have scraps about, 'who was better?'

There is also that long standing feud between Slash and Stanley (not that that would worry Ace).

Slash just recently was at a KISS show (or DICKS as I call the remaining members these days) with the guy from The Boondock Saints and the Walking Dead. And as mentioned, he played with Ace on the God Of Thunder supergroup. So I think its all water way under the bridge.

Also, I could be wrong, but didn't Ace say he wanted to do a covers album with these all stars? If that was the case, it wouldn't take them any time at all cause its not like they'd have to write anything. It would just be jamming.

Slash just recently was at a KISS show (or DICKS as I call the remaining members these days) with the guy from The Boondock Saints and the Walking Dead. And as mentioned, he played with Ace on the God Of Thunder supergroup. So I think its all water way under the bridge.

Also, I could be wrong, but didn't Ace say he wanted to do a covers album with these all stars? If that was the case, it wouldn't take them any time at all cause its not like they'd have to write anything. It would just be jamming.

Yes, I know. The thing with Kiss was just a childhood ''my band is better than your band'' thing'' which we have all been through. It is a bit like being an Oasis fan then realising Blur were always the better songwriters in your adulthood (but you will always be an Oasis fan and will kill any Blur fan who dares to cross the Gallaghers - even today0). Such is life.