Ace Frehley wants Slash on his next album

WFA

Slash is barely inspired when he plays in his own band, what could he possibly contribute to someone else's album?

Slash has contributed to countless albums and collaborated with many respected musicians. What makes you think he won't be able to come up with something cool for Ace's new album? I mean, Ace certainly seems to think he could.

As a musician, you get a different kind of inspiration when it's not your album, and you work under a vision that is not your own.

Slash is barely inspired when he plays in his own band, what could he possibly contribute to someone else's album?

Slash has contributed to countless albums and collaborated with many respected musicians. What makes you think he won't be able to come up with something cool for Ace's new album? I mean, Ace certainly seems to think he could.

As a musician, you get a different kind of inspiration when it's not your album, and you work under a vision that is not your own.

He is just an Axl Rose fan

Most of Axl fans doesn't like GNR at all only Axl in GNR

He is just an Axl Rose fan

Most of Axl fans doesn't like GNR at all only Axl in GNR

What in the fuck man. Would you like a second attempt at replying to my post? :huh:

You don't think they're too much the same kind of player?

Did someone seriously just type that?

It's very important for some people to insult anything Slash does.

• Like 1

Ace sticks much closer to minor pentatonic than Slash. He stays very much, in the box. If you listen to his solos and licks, they are all very much, Chuck Berry. He is not an original guitarist yet that is one of the things I like Frehley: he has this rootsy traditional style that he rarely strays from. Ace would never have written something like Anastasia or the end solo in November Rain.

Ace sticks much closer to minor pentatonic than Slash. He stays very much, in the box. If you listen to his solos and licks, they are all very much, Chuck Berry. He is not an original guitarist yet that is one of the things I like Frehley: he has this rootsy traditional style that he rarely strays from. Ace would never have written something like Anastasia or the end solo in November Rain.

Very true. Whenever I hear an Ace riff, I immediately love it. Cause its that Ace sound and its the sound that only he can do and he does so well. Having said that, I don't disagree with Paul Stanley when he says Ace stopped "growing in the 70s". He's phenomenal on those 70s KISS records, but it is interesting to think what 20 more years of records had he stayed with KISS would sound like. He's actually better for having quit (or been fired) because then when he comes back every so often when he does, it sounds retro and like a sound I haven't heard genuinely in so long. Had he stayed, it probably would have become boring very quickly, because it is all very much the same, as Stanley accurately alludes to. He'd be great on the new KISS records, but mainly because we haven't heard that since 1978 and the gap makes it desired and tired.

Its not like Slash, where as you say, I know he has the chops to play different things. I know he likes to grow as a player and as much as I love that classic Slash sound of World On Fire or One Last Thrill, my reason for continuing to follow him is that he's also always pushing himself and he's capable of that next November Rain solo or song like Anastasia. I listen for Ace pretty much for nostalgia of his golden years and that classic sound. There's less he has to live up to for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi5UsPLWsaE

Very true. Whenever I hear an Ace riff, I immediately love it. Cause its that Ace sound and its the sound that only he can do and he does so well. Having said that, I don't disagree with Paul Stanley when he says Ace stopped "growing in the 70s". He's phenomenal on those 70s KISS records, but it is interesting to think what 20 more years of records had he stayed with KISS would sound like. He's actually better for having quit (or been fired) because then when he comes back every so often when he does, it sounds retro and like a sound I haven't heard genuinely in so long. Had he stayed, it probably would have become boring very quickly, because it is all very much the same, as Stanley accurately alludes to. He'd be great on the new KISS records, but mainly because we haven't heard that since 1978 and the gap makes it desired and tired.

Its not like Slash, where as you say, I know he has the chops to play different things. I know he likes to grow as a player and as much as I love that classic Slash sound of World On Fire or One Last Thrill, my reason for continuing to follow him is that he's also always pushing himself and he's capable of that next November Rain solo or song like Anastasia. I listen for Ace pretty much for nostalgia of his golden years and that classic sound. There's less he has to live up to for me.

I'm sorry, but do you really think Slash pushes himself as a musician? as a guitar player? I love Anastasia but that's a Double Talkin' Jive inspired tune, with more room to go off and it sounds great, but it's not a progression artistically at all. The neo classical stuff he plays in the intro is nice, but again, it's not really an evolution.

If anything, Slash repeats itself, doing what he loves to do. I keep following him cause I like what he does, but I wish he would have pushed himself at least a little.

Jeff Beck is a good example of someone who always pushes himself, and grows naturally as a musician. But it's a rare example.

Edited by Rovim

I'm sorry, but do you really think Slash pushes himself as a musician? as a guitar player? I love Anastasia but that's a Double Talkin' Jive inspired tune, with more room to go off and it sounds great, but it's not a progression artistically at all. The neo classical stuff he plays in the intro is nice, but again, it's not really an evolution.

If anything, Slash repeats itself, doing what he loves to do. I keep following him cause I like what he does, but I wish he would have pushed himself at least a little.

Jeff Beck is a good example of someone who always pushes himself, and grows naturally as a musician. But it's a rare example.

I guess it depends how you look at things. Beck is obviously a great guitarist, but I'm not a fan cause I'm not a big fan of the simple virtuosos where its just them playing and always centered on them. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but what you see as pushing himself, I see as experimenting with a lot of different styles that don't always work and kind of end up boring me.

With Slash, I KNOW he's capable of the November Rain stuff. Does he push himself that far often? No, not really. But I don't really need him to, even though I know he can. What I like about Slash is he goes to different places with amazing results usually. I loved his first solo album cause there's so much variety, but he makes it his own. You get a different kind of delicate playing with Gotten, mixed with the spanish guitar stylings of Saint Is A Sinner Too. But you also have Nothing To Say, which is literally Slash channelling Avenged Sevenfold and NAILING the guitar. I'm not a fan of that band, but he gets their sound down pat and I enjoy the song he does in their style.

Its stuff like that that I like about Slash. Ace can't do that, but he can deliver on the style he knows and has always played. With Slash, I can look forward to the occasional gem like Velvet Revolver's Loving The Alien or the jazz inspired Ain't Life Grand. He branches out into all these different places and I've loved each one, and not just cause I love Slash. I can see the argument that he hasn't really done that with his newer solo material and that its kind of by the numbers. I don't particularly see it that way, but I understand where thats coming from. My only response to that is that I'm fine with what he's doing now, the stuff people call generic, because he's already got a great back catalogue and because I know in the future there will probably be more gems like the ones I listed. If that makes sense.

• Like 1

I guess it depends how you look at things. Beck is obviously a great guitarist, but I'm not a fan cause I'm not a big fan of the simple virtuosos where its just them playing and always centered on them. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but what you see as pushing himself, I see as experimenting with a lot of different styles that don't always work and kind of end up boring me.

With Slash, I KNOW he's capable of the November Rain stuff. Does he push himself that far often? No, not really. But I don't really need him to, even though I know he can. What I like about Slash is he goes to different places with amazing results usually. I loved his first solo album cause there's so much variety, but he makes it his own. You get a different kind of delicate playing with Gotten, mixed with the spanish guitar stylings of Saint Is A Sinner Too. But you also have Nothing To Say, which is literally Slash channelling Avenged Sevenfold and NAILING the guitar. I'm not a fan of that band, but he gets their sound down pat and I enjoy the song he does in their style.

Its stuff like that that I like about Slash. Ace can't do that, but he can deliver on the style he knows and has always played. With Slash, I can look forward to the occasional gem like Velvet Revolver's Loving The Alien or the jazz inspired Ain't Life Grand. He branches out into all these different places and I've loved each one, and not just cause I love Slash. I can see the argument that he hasn't really done that with his newer solo material and that its kind of by the numbers. I don't particularly see it that way, but I understand where thats coming from. My only response to that is that I'm fine with what he's doing now, the stuff people call generic, because he's already got a great back catalogue and because I know in the future there will probably be more gems like the ones I listed. If that makes sense.

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense man. Of course I disagree, but good post.

• Like 1

Between Obsession Confession, Nothing To Say, Slither, Always On The Run, Anastasia, A Saint Is A Sinner Too, that Clowns 3D piece and Ain't Life Grand, you've got a pretty wide range of what the guy can do. Not every rock player does.

Please... If I remember correctly you're a Jeff Beck fan. You're a Gary Moore fan as well. Look at other rock players and their career and output. Compared to that, what Slash does is not a wide range at all, it's keeping it interesting with taking small turns here and there.

And the worst thing about it for me, is that even in the hard rock realm, what Slash does best imo, it doesn't compare to his best work or even is close to it. Let's call a spade a spade. I have nothing against doing what you love to do, but you're talking about a song here and there, not a focused attempt at trying something totally fresh.

Slash is lazy in the studio. He alluded to that on a few occasions, even recently he said Elvis (not the dead king) pushed him to put a little more effort in his solos for World On Fire. He's a beast live, he gives it his all and you can hear it. Sadly it's not the case in the studio imo.

Slash doesn't push himself musically. He needs others to do that for him. And yes, not every rock player does what Slash does, but that doesn't mean you can call it pushing himself when what Slash does is just dipping his toe in unfamiliar waters, but never straying too far from the rock thing, which is intentional, but even inside of his main genre oftentimes it's repetitive, generic, and he gives you one or two great tracks like By The Sword and Anastasia while the rest doesn't even compare to that quality.

Edited by Rovim