Islamic State claims it executed American photojournalist James Foley

Ace Nova

This terrorist shit is fucking played out. The USA needs a new enemy, and preferably not a revamped War on Drugs.

I like drugs. We should keep drugs.

It's either terrorists or drugs sonny jim, take your pick, no one'll swallow the 'play the records backwards and they say 'hail satan'' crap anymore, terrorism and drugs is all thats left :lol:

I always hate it, when a discussion about a certain subject ends in: but you did this!

It's like when my kids fight and a my boy hits my daughter and he says: she hit me three weeks ago! Does that change anything about the situation dealing with now? Ofcourse not. He can't hit her period.

That the Americans might be partly responsible for the situation there, doesn't change the fact IS does horrible things to the people living in Syria and Irak.

Something needs to be done. I am not sure it should be the Americans (or Western countries) though.

I always hate it, when a discussion about a certain subject ends in: but you did this!

It's like when my kids fight and a my boy hits my daughter and he says: she hit me three weeks ago! Does that change anything about the situation dealing with now? Ofcourse not. He can't hit her period.

That the Americans might be partly responsible for the situation there, doesn't change the fact IS does horrible things to the people living in Syria and Irak.

Something needs to be done. I am not sure it should be the Americans (or Western countries) though.

Only we (the West) will do anything though.

Something needs to be done.

Agreed. And if they do consider it OK for them to pass judgement and act upon what other nations are doing with a view to changing shit, disregarding any and all international authority or governing body well then perhaps they should consider taking into account other peoples criticisms of their domestic affairs. Oh yeah, i forgot, it doesn't work like that, it works like this, we know better than everybody and we will enforce our way of life by way of tyranny and bloodshed, all the while telling you over and over again about how we are doing it for your own good, i bet that comforted the children of Afghanistan whilst hellfire rained down on their heads.

Completely agree. Belgium will probably also send F16s, I believe the Netherlands too ? For once, I agree with it, because this affects us as a country. A lot of people from our country travel to Syria to fight or be an ISIS bride or whatever, so that's why we're directly involved in a way. In other conflicts, I'm usually against interference.

And by 'anything' you mean shag the shit out of any country thats weak and susceptible and profitable to attack.

Something needs to be done.

Agreed. And if they do consider it OK for them to pass judgement and act upon what other nations are doing with a view to changing shit, disregarding any and all international authority or governing body well then perhaps they should consider taking into account other peoples criticisms of their domestic affairs. Oh yeah, i forgot, it doesn't work like that, it works like this, we know better than everybody and we will enforce our way of life by way of tyranny and bloodshed, all the while telling you over and over again about how we are doing it for your own good, i bet that comforted the children of Afghanistan whilst hellfire rained down on their heads.

So what would you do, in this case ? I'm not refering to Afghanistan, just to the IS.

And by 'anything' you mean shag the shit out of any country thats weak and susceptible and profitable to attack.

What's your suggestion then? Do nothing?

No, my suggestion would be if you didn't bomb places into the fucking stone age and slaughter thousands of people then you wouldn't have situations where people so readily resort to radicalism, it's about the only tenable response from that perspective. You can lie to people in your country and countries around the world but you can't bullshit the people you're doing it too, those people are fighting to reclaim as far as they're concerned, from having been ripped to shit and then installed with mickey mouse administrations.

It's called fighting back. They are presented with a proposition, you either lay down or you resort to the same brand of imperialist mentality as your assailants and hit em back in whatever way you possibly can. In Palestine it amounts to throwing rocks at tanks while they crush your house.

Len, I don't really understand out of all your posts, what your opinion exactly is? What should be (or not) be done in your opinion.

It can be condensed pretty neatly into 'don't bomb the shit out of innocent people'.

Edited by Lennie Godber

No, my suggestion would be if you didn't bomb places into the fucking stone age and slaughter thousands of people then you wouldn't have situations where people so readily resort to radicalism, it's about the only tenable response from that perspective. You can lie to people in your country and countries around the world but you can't bullshit the people you're doing it too, those people are fighting to reclaim as far as they're concerned, from having been ripped to shit and then installed with mickey mouse administrations.

It's called fighting back.

Truth is the truth hurts dont you agree

While I agree IS is just a symptom, a consequence of what happened in the past, that doesn't mean that you can now sit and watch while people are being brainwashed and manipulated and lured into a fight that is not theirs. (I realize it works both ways, but again, I've always been against military intervention, I haven't been brainwashed in that aspect.) I know a military intervention isn't the only thing that needs to happen to try and begin to find a solution. We're talking about generations of things going completely wrong that cannot be solved by bombing a few terrorists. It goes much deeper than that and I hope the leaders have the vision to try and do something about that in the long term. (Won't hold my breath and I'll probably never see the day, but anyway.)

Or maybe I'm just pissed that I have to work really hard to pay for them living on benefits, while they go to Syria, say they want to kill us all, fight some and then collect the benefits in Turkey and fight some more. But that's just my gut feeling.

While I agree IS is just a symptom, a consequence of what happened in the past, that doesn't mean that you can now sit and watch while people are being brainwashed and manipulated and lured into a fight that is not theirs. (I realize it works both ways, but again, I've always been against military intervention, I haven't been brainwashed in that aspect.) I know a military intervention isn't the only thing that needs to happen to try and begin to find a solution. We're talking about generations of things going completely wrong that cannot be solved by bombing a few terrorists. It goes much deeper than that and I hope the leaders have the vision to try and do something about that in the long term. (Won't hold my breath and I'll probably never see the day, but anyway.)

Or maybe I'm just pissed that I have to work really hard to pay for them living on benefits, while they go to Syria, say they want to kill us all, fight some and then collect the benefits in Turkey and fight some more. But that's just my gut feeling.

Well I'm sorry but there's only so many times you can use that excuse, it's the same thing EVERY time, 'well we've done it now so lets go about fixing it. Hmm, how we gonna do that? Oh i know, start bombing the shit out of them again and installing ANOTHER mickey mouse regime in that country. I know, i know, we did that the last time but it's gonna work this time, trust us!'.

It's just a clever little trick to keep those places in fucking turmoil and give you an excuse to remain a presence in that part of the world ad infinitum. I see your emotions quickly become involved when the shit starts fucking with your money, thats very telling. How about the people whoose children it killed, how pissed d'ya think they might be?

• Like 1

It's called fighting back. They are presented with a proposition, you either lay down or you resort to the same brand of imperialist mentality as your assailants and hit em back in whatever way you possibly can. In Palestine it amounts to throwing rocks at tanks while they crush your house.

Len, I don't really understand out of all your posts, what your opinion exactly is? What should be (or not) be done in your opinion.

It can be condensed pretty neatly into 'don't bomb the shit out of innocent people'.

So hammering any religious sect you don't like and beheading aid workers and journalists is 'resistance?' Ok.

Yup. We'll make it worse. Like we always do.

So hammering any religious sect you don't like and beheading aid workers and journalists is 'resistance?' Ok.

No, it's extremism, just like imperialism is extremism, the difference is you give em a cause. Also, mercy levels start to run kinda low after the slaughter of a few thousand. Also, how do they know whoose a journalist and whoose a photographer...and why should they trust em? Seriously, you level a fuckin' country, leave people lives in ruin, their familys dead and then you're running about their manor taking pictures going 'Don't mind me, I'm just a photographic journalist!' Shit, i got attacked by two guys at Baker Street station, my crime being brown skin and a beard, simply because of the social climate at the time and people mistrust of folks that look like me, consider how thats translates over there.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

Well I'm sorry but there's only so many times you can use that excuse, it's the same thing EVERY time, 'well we've done it now so lets go about fixing it. Hmm, how we gonna do that? Oh i know, start bombing the shit out of them again and installing ANOTHER mickey mouse regime in that country. I know, i know, we did that the last time but it's gonna work this time, trust us!'.

It's just a clever little trick to keep those places in fucking turmoil and give you an excuse to remain a presence in that part of the world ad infinitum. I see your emotions quickly become involved when the shit starts fucking with your money, thats very telling. How about the people whoose children it killed, how pissed d'ya think they might be?

No, I get that. I'm not saying install a mickey mouse regime, I don't have the answer. If I did, I wouldn't be typing it out on a forum. I suppose what gets me now (more than the money, that was only half serious, but it does bug me, I have to admit), is that people that were born and raised here, who got an education, who didn't grow up in the war, in absolute poverty etc., that they leave to go fight in Syria. That's what gets me. Maybe it's my mistake for trying to make sense of it, but whenever I hear about suicide terrorists or something, I think: Well, they've seen nothing else but misery, had their whole family blown up, saw their parents die before their eyes, they know nothing else, they're desperate... Do you get what I'm saying ? But now those people haven't seen shit. They grew up here, they had a house, both their parents, school, friends...

Please don't think that I'm in favour of the west policing the world, I'm not. I've never in my entire life been in favour of military intervention (and you know how old I am).

Yup. We'll make it worse. Like we always do.

I'd actually like never too see the UK be involved in Iraq again, just like I wasn't supportive of strikes on Syria but unfortunately given we have our own citizens so keen to join up and butcher their co-religionists and IS's explicitly expanionist nature I don't see this as something we'll be able to ignore.

No, I get that. I'm not saying install a mickey mouse regime, I don't have the answer. If I did, I wouldn't be typing it out on a forum. I suppose what gets me now (more than the money, that was only half serious, but it does bug me, I have to admit), is that people that were born and raised here, who got an education, who didn't grow up in the war, in absolute poverty etc., that they leave to go fight in Syria. That's what gets me. Maybe it's my mistake for trying to make sense of it, but whenever I hear about suicide terrorists or something, I think: Well, they've seen nothing else but misery, had their whole family blown up, saw their parents die before their eyes, they know nothing else, they're desperate... Do you get what I'm saying ? But now those people haven't seen shit. They grew up here, they had a house, both their parents, school, friends...

Please don't think that I'm in favour of the west policing the world, I'm not. I've never in my entire life been in favour of military intervention (and you know how old I am).

Because in their mind they are standing up for the oppressed. Tell me, when you see children starving in Africa how do you feel? Or people dying, old videos of the holocaust or some war zone nowadays? Also they have relations in countries where violence is perpetrated, my Mums family is from Pakistan, they're allies of the west and even they suffer drone attacks, my little newphews school was torn apart by one, a fucking childrens school. Things like that I imagine probably have an effect.
It's like saying why were white folks involved in the civil rights movement.

No, it's extremism, just like imperialism is extremism, the difference is you give em a cause. Also, mercy levels start to run kinda low after the slaughter of a few thousand. Also, how do they know whoose a journalist and whoose a photographer...and why should they trust em? Seriously, you level a fuckin' country, leave people lives in ruin, their familys dead and then you're running about their manor taking pictures going 'Don't mind me, I'm just a photographic journalist!' Shit, i got attacked by two guys at Baker Street station, my crime being brown skin and a beard, simply because of the social climate at the time and people mistrust of folks that look like me, consider how thats translates over there.

So the Yazidi sect in Iraq was targeted because the West made the IS hate them? Attacking them is an expression of anti-imperialism?

I profoundly disagree. I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

Because in their mind they are standing up for the oppressed. Tell me, when you see children starving in Africa how do you feel? Or people dying, old videos of the holocaust or some war zone nowadays? Also they have relations in countries where violence is perpetrated, my Mums family is from Pakistan, they're allies of the west and even they suffer drone attacks, my little newphews school was torn apart by one, a fucking childrens school. Things like that I imagine probably have an effect.
It's like saying why were white folks involved in the civil rights movement.

Okay, then. That would have an effect. Although I just see it more like young, impressionable people that are being brainwashed to kill innocent people.

So what then ? Just let them kill off each other and wait a few years ? I mean, it is what it is, we can't change the past unfortunately. The question is what should we do for a better future.