Ritz 1988 or Paris 1992 - Better Show?

seely

Best Classic Show: Ritz 1988 or Paris 1992?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ranking shows really comes down to personal preference and experience.

Ritz was special at the time because they was nothing else out like it at the time. You couldn't hop onto Youtube and spend hours looking at 25 different GnR performances spread out over a 20 year period. It was all we had and there was nothing else like it (at least nothing that was easily assessable).

Were there other concerts that GnR sounded better? Probably so. Maybe a lot of them.

But Ritz was like when you lost your virginity. Even if you had a three-way with Kate Upton and Scarlett Johanson tomorrow, it still wouldn't take away the special moment of your first time.

Ritz is not even in the top 20 Gn'R shows imo. It's not the using your virginity, it's hatefucking a drunk chick on your first date. Pretty cool, and you'll remember it, but you've had better.

All these sexual references feed into my theory that a lot of people just liked seeing the band sweaty and shirtless. Leave it to Groghan to enter homoeroticism into the conversation.

You can always tell an Axl fanatic because, when the regular 'top ten' topic pops up, their selection is usually a mixture of CD and Illusion 2 ballads. I mean they might chuck Brownstone in there just to prove they are not a pansy, but, it is usually the piano and the overdubs they are about. And, Estranged is always top - or at least, top 3.

Edited by DieselDaisy

You can always tell an Axl fanatic because, when the regular 'top ten' topic pops up, their selection is usually a mixture of CD and Illusion 2 ballads. I mean they might chuck Brownstone in there just to prove they are not a pansy, but, it is usually the piano and the overdubs they are about. And, Estranged is always top - or at least, top 3.

Yeah, you got me. I don't really like Brownstone or Nightrain. It's all ballads, all day, everyday. I'm listening to Street Of Dreams as we speak! then again, it's been on a loop since I got up, and that was 10 hours ago. Should have been a detective. I'm impressed.

Edited by Rovim

Yeah, you've got me. I don't really like Brownstone or Nightrain. It's all ballads, all day, everyday. I'm listening to Street Of Dreams as we speak! then again, it's been on a loop since I got up, and that was 10 hours ago. Should have been a detective. I'm impressed.

Me too, I just listen to the overdubbed acapella versions. Thank god for multitracks.

• Like 1

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

2/ TWAT (I love Bucket's solos live on, 20/06/02)

3/ Better (love Finck's solo on, 03/02/06)

4/ November Rain (but Ii prefer Bucket's solo from 02)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

8/ Brownstone (Token rocker: ''look, I am not homo'')

9/ Breakdown

10/ Don't Cry Alt Lyrics (Axl fans always prefer the alt lyrics for some odd reason).

• Like 1

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

10/ Don't Cry Alt Lyrics (Axl fans always prefer the alt lyrics for some odd reason).

Nailed it.

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

Of those you listed I'd actually keep: Estranged, TWAT, and Breakdown- if we're talking top 10 consideration.

Edited by Mr. Dude

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

Of those you listed I'd actually keep: Estranged, TWAT, and Breakdown.

Wut? NO! what about Don't Cry alternative? your mullet is showing.

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

Wut? NO! what about Don't Cry alternative? your mullet is showing.

Business in the front, I'll meet you round back.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

And, let me guess, chuck in Coma, Locomotive, Oh My God and Don't Damn Me? Although, you are not one of these frightening people who put Going Down and Silk Worms on their list - just to, look cool.

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

And, let me guess, chuck in Coma, Locomotive, Oh My God and Don't Damn Me? Although, you are not one of these frightening people who put Going Down and Silk Worms on their list - just to, look cool.

What can I do, with a bitch like you? you know that it's true.

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

I like equally the rockers and the epics, the yin, the yang, the push, the pull, the fuck you, the fuck me.

• Like 1

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

9/ Breakdown

I like equally the rockers and the epics, the yin, the yang, the push, the pull, the fuck you, the fuck me.

But don't you find songs like Brownstone to be a little TOO greasy? I don't know man... bit too sleazy for me. And where's the piano? I mean, it's not even a ballad. And it's about heroin. Pretty dark stuff.

Edited by Rovim

Oh, come on, do not be like that. I am just winding you chaps up - just like you are, me, with the 'grease' stuff. You have to admit though, an enormous amount of Axl-fans prefer Don't Cry alt lyrics over the original?

Yeah, totally. Better then the original.

Well the lyrics really are better in the alt.

And i choose UYI shows because they are longer and have more variety. And if im narrowing it down its the '91 summer tour. They were fresh on the road, exciting setlists, u didnt know what was gonna happen at each show or if there was gonna be one. The band was killing it and Axl was pissed off, had something to prove and was performing like a motherfucker. Even if his voice was a lil shot at some shows. Gimme '91 summer tour all day.

Edited by ChineseIRS

'92 for me.

It's not an objective choice as the '92 show was part of my youth in a way that '88 Ritz was not.

I remember staying over at my friend's place in 1992 because his parents were cool enough to let us buy the pay-per-view special. That show was everything I loved about GNR at the time and only hardened my adoration for the band. I watched the entire show in awe, thinking that the guys on stage were from this planet; that they truly were rock gods. Some people dislike the grandioseness of it all, but for me, I loved it all.

I still recall fond memories of Axl introducing Jungle ("Paris France, and the rest of the world watching") and kind of hoping he'd introduce Jungle in a similar fashion when I saw the band perform in Paris in 2006. Obviously, that didn't happen.

The '88 Ritz performance is great for what it is - raw, real, stripped down - but I don't connect to it like I do with the '92 Paris concert. It wasn't until '95 or '96 that I actually had a chance to watch it (a buddy was able to get a bootleg copy). Damn kids today, with their internet! Back in the day, you had to know a guy to see stuff like the '88 Ritz concert.

• Like 1

'92 for me.

It's not an objective choice as the '92 show was part of my youth in a way that '88 Ritz was not.

I remember staying over at my friend's place in 1992 because his parents were cool enough to let us buy the pay-per-view special. That show was everything I loved about GNR at the time and only hardened my adoration for the band. I watched the entire show in awe, thinking that the guys on stage were from this planet; that they truly were rock gods. Some people dislike the grandioseness of it all, but for me, I loved it all.

I still recall fond memories of Axl introducing Jungle ("Paris France, and the rest of the world watching") and kind of hoping he'd introduce Jungle in a similar fashion when I saw the band perform in Paris in 2006. Obviously, that didn't happen.

The '88 Ritz performance is great for what it is - raw, real, stripped down - but I don't connect to it like I do with the '92 Paris concert. It wasn't until '95 or '96 that I actually had a chance to watch it (a buddy was able to get a bootleg copy). Damn kids today, with their internet! Back in the day, you had to know a guy to see stuff like the '88 Ritz concert.

or basic cable

'92 for me.

or basic cable

Maybe in the U.S., but not here in Canada.