Ritz 1988 or Paris 1992 - Better Show?

seely

Best Classic Show: Ritz 1988 or Paris 1992?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Typical Axl-fan list

1/ Estranged (who else?)

2/ TWAT (I love Bucket's solos live on, 20/06/02)

3/ Better (love Finck's solo on, 03/02/06)

4/ November Rain (but Ii prefer Bucket's solo from 02)

5/ Prostitute

6/ Streets of Dreams

7/ Catcher

8/ Brownstone (Token rocker: ''look, I am not homo'')

9/ Breakdown

10/ Don't Cry Alt Lyrics (Axl fans always prefer the alt lyrics for some odd reason).

This is actually a pretty fair assesment of MANY lists that I have read on here over the years, but I'd probably say replace Brownstone with Oh My God or Silkworms and that really is the OFFICIAL NUgnr/Axl super fan list, lol.

I'm the first to admit that I lean a little more towards Axl's side in the Axl vs Slash debates (because Slash quit, however you slice it, he walked out on US fans imo). But having said that gnr has not been the same since he left. I like CD, I like the current band, but I LOVED GUNS n' fucking ROSES, and that band died in 1996. So I will always be a reunionist, I want to see Axl and Slash together again. CD 2 would be cool and all, but give me a reuion!!!

Good as Paris 92 was, it's got nothing on Paris 93, now there's one of the definitive UYI Era shows for all time.

ah, I don't know. I disagree. I like hearing the more stripped down versions of those songs, but I always felt that the band seemed to be a little bored (probably tired too) by 93. I think the crowds were starting to dwindle a bit by 93 too.I don't feel the same intensity they had coming out of the gates in 91/92. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Skin N Bones tour, but it doesn't top the 91 and 92 legs for me. I thought 91 was awesome because they were determined to prove that they weren't a one-trick pony. Then when Izzy left they seemed as determined as ever to persevere and succeed without him.

What did it for me, is the fact that they sounded so much tighter by the end of 3 years of almost non stop touring, the jams had gotten much more focused, they weren't struggling with any new material anymore, everything was well known by then. I find much of the 91 stuff was hit or miss, and in 92 because of the big band nature of the shows, they couldn't rock out as much. But by 93 Axl's voice had steadied into a strong raspy wail in a way that was consistently dependable, and the band had a much stronger grasp on everything.

• Like 1

'92 for me.

It's not an objective choice as the '92 show was part of my youth in a way that '88 Ritz was not.

I remember staying over at my friend's place in 1992 because his parents were cool enough to let us buy the pay-per-view special. That show was everything I loved about GNR at the time and only hardened my adoration for the band. I watched the entire show in awe, thinking that the guys on stage were from this planet; that they truly were rock gods. Some people dislike the grandioseness of it all, but for me, I loved it all.

I still recall fond memories of Axl introducing Jungle ("Paris France, and the rest of the world watching") and kind of hoping he'd introduce Jungle in a similar fashion when I saw the band perform in Paris in 2006. Obviously, that didn't happen.

The '88 Ritz performance is great for what it is - raw, real, stripped down - but I don't connect to it like I do with the '92 Paris concert. It wasn't until '95 or '96 that I actually had a chance to watch it (a buddy was able to get a bootleg copy). Damn kids today, with their internet! Back in the day, you had to know a guy to see stuff like the '88 Ritz concert.

Ten years ago (yes 2004-05) i still contacted a friend of mine for GNR bootlegs. I still own a spanish copy of the UYI Tokyo dvd's. Seems to me that it was stolen from a spanish store or shit like this and sell to us from the backyard of a van, lol (yes i don't use ebay and shit like that back in the day)

Maybe in the U.S., but not here in Canada.

Really, they didn't have MTV in Canada?
Nope. We had MuchMusic, the Canadian equivalent. And I don't think it became part of most basic cable packages until '93. Also, I don't ever recall MuchMusic playing many live concerts of any artist. That started to happen in '96, but on Much's sister channel: MuchMoreMusic. I could be wrong on that however. Edited by downzy

Maybe in the U.S., but not here in Canada.

Really, they didn't have MTV in Canada?
Nope. We had MuchMusic, the Canadian equivalent. And I don't think it became part of most basic cable packages until '93. Also, I don't ever recall MuchMusic playing many live concerts of any artist.

That's because they hosted their own Intimate & Interactive or Live at Much.

I think it would be cool to watch Tokyo 92 with Japanese voice over on the vocals.

With Axl's clean 2002 japanese voice over. They will need a woman to get that shit right though. The 2002 live and let die long scream will own. "OOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!11"