Ritz 1988 or Paris 1992 - Better Show?

seely

Best Classic Show: Ritz 1988 or Paris 1992?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What did the Ritz influence? Who is it important to apart from a bunch of nostalgic 40-somethings on YouTube clamoring for a reunion?

Ritz 88 is what casual fans always point to as GNR's greatest show. Its the only show they know. In reality it wasn't even amongst the best concerts they played on that tour. I appreciate that its the best visual representation that exists of that era of the band, but soundwise its one of the sloppiest gigs GNR ever played in my opinion. I don't think any of the band (save for Steven of course) are particularly proud of that gig.

• Like 1

What did the Ritz influence? Who is it important to apart from a bunch of nostalgic 40-somethings on YouTube clamoring for a reunion?

Ritz 88 is what casual fans always point to as GNR's greatest show. Its the only show they know. In reality it wasn't even amongst the best concerts they played on that tour. I appreciate that its the best visual representation that exists of that era of the band, but soundwise its one of the sloppiest gigs GNR ever played in my opinion. I don't think any of the band (save for Steven of course) are particularly proud of that gig.

I mostly agree, but I did like Knockin' On Heaven's Door and SCOM from that show.

Ritz might be considered a "sloppy" show, but to this day you are hard pressed to find better performances of jungle, scom, paradise city, ise, my michelle, and knockin'. The Freddie Mercury tribute show "may" have a better PC, but the rest of the songs I mentioned were better at the Ritz than any Illusion concert I have ever watched. By the time the Illusions came around, they were tired of playing the Appetitie songs, and it showed in the performances. SCOM the band seemed especially sick of that one, it's been pretty much garbabge live since 1990 imo.

• Like 1

Ritz might be considered a "sloppy" show, but to this day you are hard pressed to find better performances of jungle, scom, paradise city, ise, my michelle, and knockin'.

Marquee 87 for all of them. They were so much tighter while still having all the energy.

Felt Forum 88 as well. Maybe the best performance of the AFD era.

• Like 3

yeah you're right

A lot of 88 shows were better (Felt Forum, Iowa show, Japanese shows, Australian shows etc.)

But bacardi's comments make me wonder what the actual fuck does he do on here other than bashing the band that make those 80's-90's songs that made Axl and the others famous and he constantly bash the living shit out of them....

Ritz might be considered a "sloppy" show, but to this day you are hard pressed to find better performances of jungle, scom, paradise city, ise, my michelle, and knockin'.

Marquee 87 for all of them. They were so much tighter while still having all the energy.

Those 87 shows were great

This Hammersmith show was magical

Zakk Wylde saw the Felt Forum show :headbang:

Edited by Crash Diet

Ritz might be considered a "sloppy" show, but to this day you are hard pressed to find better performances of jungle, scom, paradise city, ise, my michelle, and knockin'. The Freddie Mercury tribute show "may" have a better PC, but the rest of the songs I mentioned were better at the Ritz than any Illusion concert I have ever watched. By the time the Illusions came around, they were tired of playing the Appetitie songs, and it showed in the performances. SCOM the band seemed especially sick of that one, it's been pretty much garbabge live since 1990 imo.

I'll give you that- the 88 era is the only time I've ever really enjoyed live renditions of SCOM. I think the more recent lineups play better versions of Jungle & Easy than the either the AFD or UYI lineups. I thought Paradise City sounded best around 92- maybe its just that the Freddie Tribute rendition is so etched in my mind though.

Laughing at smug elitist GN'R fans who say, ''well actually, the Ritz is rather shit''. Listen, I have all of the video boots of the old band and quite a few audios, and I would still rank Ritz in the top 3.

its funny that you sneer at the video trilogy in part because it was so overplayed on MTV yet Ritz used to air constantly. I think it ranks in the bottom half of the shows from that tour. Axl's voice wasn't at its best and Slash butchers basically every solo of every song. If the current band came out and played like that and people made their judgments based purely on sound it would be viewed on par with Rio 11. I think a lot of people just liked seeing the band shirtless.

• Like 1

Laughing at smug elitist GN'R fans who say, ''well actually, the Ritz is rather shit''. Listen, I have all of the video boots of the old band and quite a few audios, and I would still rank Ritz in the top 3.

its funny that you sneer at the video trilogy in part because it was so overplayed on MTV yet Ritz used to air constantly. I think it ranks in the bottom half of the shows from that tour. Axl's voice wasn't at its best and Slash butchers basically every solo of every song. If the current band came out and played like that and people made their judgments based purely on sound it would be viewed on par with Rio 11. I think a lot of people just liked seeing the band shirtless.

Totally disagree.

But bacardi's comments make me wonder what the actual fuck does he do on here other than bashing the band that make those 80's-90's songs that made Axl and the others famous and he constantly bash the living shit out of them....

What did the Ritz influence? We're not talking about fucking Woodstock here.

• Like 1

I have boots from the Marque shows as well, they are stellar. I absolutly love Rosie from these shows, better than AC/DC imo. I agree that you can find pretty good audio from other Appetite era shows, but as for audio/visual together, Ritz really is the only one. I just can't stand to watch audience shot things, they have to be pro shot for me.

I have boots from the Marque shows as well, they are stellar. I absolutly love Rosie from these shows, better than AC/DC imo. I agree that you can find pretty good audio from other Appetite era shows, but as for audio/visual together, Ritz really is the only one. I just can't stand to watch audience shot things, they have to be pro shot for me.

In terms of pro shot, this AFD Era Jungle is probably tops.

Some of the liberated screen boots like Philly, and Melbourne have some pretty stellar performances too.

Paris is damn good, but gotta go with the Ritz. I wish GN'R could have remained a club band for longer.

They were a club band for 3-4 years though. I know what you're saying though. It seemed like they went from clubs to stadiums overnight. They kind of skipped the arena level.

Infinite casual butthurt.

Few hundred musicians to learn music, founding bands, playing live shows.....

I just hope that you're gonna give up the hipster posting style (aka look at me i have a different opinion than everybody else)

Edited by Crash Diet

Good as Paris 92 was, it's got nothing on Paris 93, now there's one of the definitive UYI Era shows for all time.

ah, I don't know. I disagree. I like hearing the more stripped down versions of those songs, but I always felt that the band seemed to be a little bored (probably tired too) by 93. I think the crowds were starting to dwindle a bit by 93 too.I don't feel the same intensity they had coming out of the gates in 91/92. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Skin N Bones tour, but it doesn't top the 91 and 92 legs for me. I thought 91 was awesome because they were determined to prove that they weren't a one-trick pony. Then when Izzy left they seemed as determined as ever to persevere and succeed without him.

Ranking shows really comes down to personal preference and experience.

Ritz was special at the time because they was nothing else out like it at the time. You couldn't hop onto Youtube and spend hours looking at 25 different GnR performances spread out over a 20 year period. It was all we had and there was nothing else like it (at least nothing that was easily assessable).

Were there other concerts that GnR sounded better? Probably so. Maybe a lot of them.

But Ritz was like when you lost your virginity. Even if you had a three-way with Kate Upton and Scarlett Johanson tomorrow, it still wouldn't take away the special moment of your first time.

Ranking shows really comes down to personal preference and experience.

Ritz was special at the time because they was nothing else out like it at the time. You couldn't hop onto Youtube and spend hours looking at 25 different GnR performances spread out over a 20 year period. It was all we had and there was nothing else like it (at least nothing that was easily assessable).

Were there other concerts that GnR sounded better? Probably so. Maybe a lot of them.

But Ritz was like when you lost your virginity. Even if you had a three-way with Kate Upton and Scarlett Johanson tomorrow, it still wouldn't take away the special moment of your first time.

Ritz is not even in the top 20 Gn'R shows imo. It's not losing your virginity, it's hatefucking a drunk chick on your first date. Pretty cool, and you'll remember it, but you've had better.

Edited by Rovim