Billy Corgan on Axl

Nice to see one of the great artists of the past 25 years give Axl some praise:

http://www.alternativenation.net/billy-corgan-says-he-loved-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-claims-he-has-three-unreleased-albums/

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/billy-corgan-supports-axl-roses-decision-not-to-attend-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction/

https: //twitter.com/Billy/status/244562912633552897

@AaronDesveaux I think @axlrose is one of the best rock singers, ever. Period. Would be honored to write a song with him.

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 3

This quote from Corgan about unreleased material, could probably just as easily be a quote from Axl. (Aside from the part about hoping to release them, of course).

“Once we clear the Pumpkins’ first era, then I have about 65 unreleased Zwan songs, I have a ton of unreleased stuff relating to my solo album ‘The Future Embrace,’ and then there’s a ton of ‘Zeitgeist’ demos, probably songs I should have put on the album, that are pretty interesting and well-done. Also I have two unreleased acoustic records, plus an unreleased acoustic soundtrack — three albums worth of acoustic albums from the mid-2000s that are totally unreleased. So I’m hoping to just do everything chronologically.”

Edited by axlsalinger

This quote from Corgan about unreleased material, could probably just as easily be a quote from Axl. (Aside from the part about hoping to release them, of course).

“Once we clear the Pumpkins’ first era, then I have about 65 unreleased Zwan songs, I have a ton of unreleased stuff relating to my solo album ‘The Future Embrace,’ and then there’s a ton of ‘Zeitgeist’ demos, probably songs I should have put on the album, that are pretty interesting and well-done. Also I have two unreleased acoustic records, plus an unreleased acoustic soundtrack — three albums worth of acoustic albums from the mid-2000s that are totally unreleased. So I’m hoping to just do everything chronologically.”

I was thinking that too, except there's a much better chance we'll see all of that.

I think it's hard for the fans to relate without the original line ups. It breaks the illusion. On a personal or artistic level, even business wise there's probably a lot of reasons why they deserve to use the name. Billy at least he wrote all the songs and Doomsday and Oceania are kind of in line with Machina type stuff. Axl is more like he never wanted to leave and doesn't feel he should have to throw everything away and maybe has no other real options. maybe you can see that in the material, SP stuff still sounds like SP mostly, CD is a different product, different writers, Axl is the core but it's not another off the GNR conveyor belt, it has a completely different vibe. There's always going to be a stigma there but if they don't care about the mainstream limelight then it's just a matter of them continuing that creative journey. If you aren't too bothered by line up changes then they put out great music. I think if they name helps them to rock and put on a show then might as well go for it.

If Billy just brought back Jimmy and forgot about 2000 - 2006 era + recorded new material and hit the road with 2007/2008 era material, Gossamer era, everyone would be happy without any further ado.

I dunno, people are always gonna hate on him for not having D'arcy and Iha in the band.

Which is pretty puzzling IMHO as neither of them are particularly special musicians. Okay, Iha co-wrote Mayonaise. But Jeff Schroeder actually contributed to the whole Oceania album and is a tighter player.

I think it's hard for the fans to relate without the original line ups. It breaks the illusion. On a personal or artistic level, even business wise there's probably a lot of reasons why they deserve to use the name. Billy at least he wrote all the songs and Doomsday and Oceania are kind of in line with Machina type stuff. Axl is more like he never wanted to leave and doesn't feel he should have to throw everything away and maybe has no other real options. maybe you can see that in the material, SP stuff still sounds like SP mostly, CD is a different product, different writers, Axl is the core but it's not another off the GNR conveyor belt, it has a completely different vibe. There's always going to be a stigma there but if they don't care about the mainstream limelight then it's just a matter of them continuing that creative journey. If you aren't too bothered by line up changes then they put out great music. I think if they name helps them to rock and put on a show then might as well go for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Corgan produce some of the unreleased GNR songs, but do it as an EP. Why Axl wanted to do a remix album was so he could have different people producing the songs anyway.

Iha "cowrote" Mayo insofar as coming up with that beginning opening arpeggio part. Billy took that one bar of music and ran with it, and billy is the only guitarist on the recorded song.

Billy is and always was SP. Axl is not and never was GNR.

I'm really into the Pumpkins. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are very fun records to listen to in their entirety. But I can't really get into anything Corgan has done since Machina, and I especially don't take him seriously considering how some of the stuff he's been saying in interviews lately is just plain fucking ridiculous.