Duff open to GNR recording?

If Duff were to "help out," he'd eventually become the new bassist. Tommy brings nothing.

If he brought nothing to the table, Axl wouldn't have paid him to be in the band for 17 years. And you can't really know how things will develop. You don't know that Duff helping out will result in him being the new bassist.

If Duff were to "help out," he'd eventually become the new bassist. Tommy brings nothing.

If he brought nothing to the table, Axl wouldn't have paid him to be in the band........

I give you Chris Pitman. Tommy brings nothing but packaged attitude.

I don't know what that even means. "Packaged attitude". And Pitman may not bring much to the old material live, but in every song on Chinese you can clearly hear him doing his thing. Not talking about the quality, but there are defined synth parts in almost every song on the album.

On one hand it really surprises me that Axl mended fences with Duff - the one who has been siding with Slash like no other person in the whole circle confirming each and every one of those accusations that Axl supposedly hates Slash for - and that of all people Axl is ready to work with HIM :o On the other hand, though, maybe there is a method to this madness. To have Duff back would be like having Duff's signature under the idea that this "something" is indeed GNR and if Axl could additionally get Izzy to cooperate (Steven is obviously out of the question) that would only leave Slash out. So, all of a sudden the situation with one Axl in nu fake GNR and the rest of the original members out and siding with Slash would change into a situation of Axl with all the original members at his side except for Slash. That sure would be a huge blow to Slash publicity-wise and regardless of whether it would make any sense business - wise it may seem very tempting to Axl :hahafyou:

I'm not sure if he's that obsessed as to get to such an idea but then again nothing about him would surprise me anymore especially if it has any relation to the monstrous war that he is leading in his mind against Slash.

Sure enough, Duff should think it all over carefully before he rejoins Axl, imo...

Marc said Axl believes Slash is an "evil person" who stole 15 years of his life, so I don't think it's a stretch at all.

If he brought nothing to the table, Axl wouldn't have paid him to be in the band........

I don't know what that even means. "Packaged attitude". And Pitman may not bring much to the old material live, but in every song on Chinese you can clearly hear him doing his thing. Not talking about the quality, but there are defined synth parts in almost every song on the album.

Tommy is there to bring some kind of punk cred to the band like Duff did. Just like Ashba is trying to bring the Slash. He's fake. He brought nothing to the Replacements either. Being a belligerent drunk isn't punk or cool. It's just called being an asshole.

And Chris Pitman isn't doing anything that Dizzy couldn't do on those songs. Since '01 with OMG, nugnr lost that industrial GNR image and Pitman is kind of a lame duck. Hitting an audio laser effect every couple of seconds isn't really going to make or break anything. He's not bringing anything. Even Tommy brings more. At least he's playing generic bass lines. Pitman is just stumbling around with his gumby keyboard stand, looking like some strip club DJ that got a GNR gig. The synth intros at the gigs is for nap time.

GNR, then and now, are about two things. Axl and the guitar(Slash). Buckethead was made to play second fiddle to Finck. Finck fucked everything up in an original way. BBF bored people and was playing second fiddle to Ashba.. Ashba makes everyone facepalm. Richard is a decent player but he's not going to wow anyone either. It looks like Axl chose Richard because he looks like Izzy a little bit. It's all freakin odd and dumb.

Like I said before. There isn't some place on the knob where you can sound like GNR. Putting people in the band that look like past members isn't going to work either. It was 5 guys in their own groove with their own unique styles. Axl can't replicate it. Duff can't replicate it. Only those guys can. Axl can keep trying but it's just not going to be classic GNR without.......classic GNR.

Edited by Rustycage

I agree Axl and Izzy should write songs again. It would be great for Duff to join, but all that has been said about Axl and Slash, do you really think they would ever forgive each other? I don't think so. Whatever happened to their relationship still makes Axl pissed off when it's mentioned.

As for Steven, would he be able to play UYI songs and new songs? Maybe if he really gets cleaned up, his talent would come back.

Since it's been a long time, I doubt any of this will happen, but what the hell?

As for Steven, would he be able to play UYI songs and new songs? Maybe if he really gets cleaned up, his talent would come back.

To be honest, I think Axl could drop the new songs and it wouldn't affect the show one bit. I'm not saying he SHOULD drop those songs, I'm just saying they aren't the attraction.

The set of circumstances that would have to occur for this intention to produce anything is so remote in possibility, Duff may as well have said he'd be open to sprouting a third testicle that foresees the future if Axl (and only Axl) rubs it.

First Axl would have to actually want to put out music

Then he'd have to scrap or finish and the label approve of CD2 and possibly 3

Then he'd have to want to record further with Duff, write and record the new songs with presumably Duff and the current band (who may or may not want to work with him).

Then Axl and the label would have to actually release the music.

I mean, lets be real. Not a fucking chance.

The set of circumstances that would have to occur for this intention to produce anything is so remote in possibility, Duff may as well have said he'd be open to sprouting a third testicle that foresees the future if Axl (and only Axl) rubs it.

First Axl would have to actually want to put out music

Then he'd have to scrap or finish and the label approve of CD2 and possibly 3

Then he'd have to want to record further with Duff, write and record the new songs with presumably Duff and the current band (who may or may not want to work with him).

Then Axl and the label would have to actually release the music.

I mean, lets be real. Not a fucking chance.

Not in this lifetime anyways...

Tommy is there to bring some kind of punk cred to the band like Duff did. Just like Ashba is trying to bring the Slash. He's fake. He brought nothing to the Replacements either. Being a belligerent drunk isn't punk or cool. It's just called being an asshole.

And Chris Pitman isn't doing anything that Dizzy couldn't do on those songs. Since '01 with OMG, nugnr lost that industrial GNR image and Pitman is kind of a lame duck. Hitting an audio laser effect every couple of seconds isn't really going to make or break anything. He's not bringing anything. Even Tommy brings more. At least he's playing generic bass lines. Pitman is just stumbling around with his gumby keyboard stand, looking like some strip club DJ that got a GNR gig. The synth intros at the gigs is for nap time.

GNR, then and now, are about two things. Axl and the guitar(Slash). Buckethead was made to play second fiddle to Finck. Finck fucked everything up in an original way. BBF bored people and was playing second fiddle to Ashba.. Ashba makes everyone facepalm. Richard is a decent player but he's not going to wow anyone either. It looks like Axl chose Richard because he looks like Izzy a little bit. It's all freakin odd and dumb.

Like I said before. There isn't some place on the knob where you can sound like GNR. Putting people in the band that look like past members isn't going to work either. It was 5 guys in their own groove with their own unique styles. Axl can't replicate it. Duff can't replicate it. Only those guys can. Axl can keep trying but it's just not going to be classic GNR without.......classic GNR.

Tommy is a fine bass player, and he was a fine bass player in the replacements. Pitman wrote If The World, and he came up with many cool synth parts for Chinese. His Catcher demo synth part is a favorite of mine.

Tommy also wrote songs for Chinese. I think he had a hand in Street Of Dreams and Riad. Gn'R, then, was not just about Axl and Slash. Maybe to the casual fan, but not for me.

Robin fucked a lot of solos up live and was sloppy, but on the Chinese stuff he was great. Buckethead wasn't made to play second fiddle to Finck. He was just not the only one there. Axl wanted 3 guitar players as soon as he heard what it sounded like with Finck, Bucket, and Paul. (and then Fortus) the musical goal changed to combine all 3 styles of playing to something more varied.

And I didn't say Duff was capable of bringing back the classic Gn'R sound on his own (not sure Axl even wants that) but he can bring his sound, style, and arrangement skills to the material, and it will probably sound more Gn'R just because he was the bass player of Gn'R in the Appetite/Lies/Illusions era. A classic member.

I don't think Axl is interested in the organic way of writing anymore.

I do not think Axl is interested in any way of writing anymore, unless, you include him writing out his lengthy takeaway orders.

I think he's always writing, but maybe alone most of the time. The problem isn't writing, it's the way he does it and also most of the time he doesn't release it.

Edited by Rovim

Yes but .... is GN'R open to record with Duff?

:awesomeface:

Everybody knows that all the ex-gunners would like to return ... although some of them pretend they just want to look cool saying they want to return.

Yes but... is GN'R open to record at all?

The only way you'd see any type of move towards a reunion is if TB are gone and Axl is open to dismantling a 21 year old monolith of pride, paranoia, hurt & hate.

While I think anything is possible when it comes to human relationships, both sides of any war need to want to change the status quo and go through some fire to do so.

I cannot see either man do that now, I think Slash is burned out with the whole thing and has mentally disengaged for good while Axl probably never stops thinking about it and cannot conceive of such a climb down, especially when those around him keep the fires burning.

Here is one ironclad reason why GNR will never reunite in the Slash/Axl costume, Slash will not play Chinese Democracy songs, Axl will not NOT play Chinese Democracy songs, this would promote a clear message that his little experiment that took a chunk of his years of existence as well as a chunk of his soul and productivity was a failure and he'd abandon the only progressive and cathartic work he's done since the band 'ditched' him. Also, can you imagine how perverse it'd be Axl standing on stage with the guy he was trying to erase every night from 2001-2010 lol. Let alone if for some reason Slash relented on some songs, they certainly wouldn't be Sorry or Prostitute... which is sublime performances often stem from, these fire him up for good reason.

Here is one ironclad reason why GNR will never reunite in the Slash/Axl costume, Slash will not play Chinese Democracy songs, Axl will not NOT play Chinese Democracy songs, this would promote a clear message that his little experiment that took a chunk of his years of existence as well as a chunk of his soul and productivity was a failure and he'd abandon the only progressive and cathartic work he's done since the band 'ditched' him. Also, can you imagine how perverse it'd be Axl standing on stage with the guy he was trying to erase every night from 2001-2010 lol. Let alone if for some reason Slash relented on some songs, they certainly wouldn't be Sorry or Prostitute... which is sublime performances often stem from, these fire him up for good reason.

Yeah I agree with all that

The only way you'd see any type of move towards a reunion is if TB are gone and Axl is open to dismantling a 21 year old monolith of pride, paranoia, hurt & hate.

While I think anything is possible when it comes to human relationships, both sides of any war need to want to change the status quo and go through some fire to do so.

I cannot see either man do that now, I think Slash is burned out with the whole thing and has mentally disengaged for good while Axl probably never stops thinking about it and cannot conceive of such a climb down, especially when those around him keep the fires burning.

And in the end, the real losers are the fans.

Randall - why do you think Slash wouldn't play CD songs? He seems to be a guy that enjoys playing a wide variety of music. You really think a reunion would be help up specifically by the one line in the contract that says "entire band must agree to play four CD songs a night".......Why would Slash turn down the Monster that a reunion would be over 10-12 minutes of a 3 hour show?

I don't think Slash would mind playing CD tunes, just the same way as Duff did, I would expect him to want to rewrite some of the guitar lines though, making them his own; a bit like Bucket did for his solos.

A reunited GNR would have to mean mutual respect so Slash would need to honour Axl's work on CD on some level.

Taking that idea further, I would love to hear what Slash would do with CD if all the guitar lines were stripped out and left for him to recreate. It would be like hearing CD for the first time all over again.

A reunited band could record a new album with a recreated CD offered as a bonus album...

Oops...there I go fucking dreaming again.

None of this will ever happen.