Scottish, English, Irish, Celtic, and Scadinavian folklore anyone???

Iron MikeyJ

I have no idea what they are saying, but I like the song. :)

It's fairly typical Puirt a Beul, or Scottish mouth music... There's a lot of nonsense phrases and fairly direct literal descriptive sentences but contributes to a fairly eerie atmosphere when you know the full story behind the song. A motorcyclist was killed and found in a ditch opposite the area where the light they describe at the beginning of the video was seen. After that the light was supposedly never seen again.

Gun dragh gun d'chuir e an t-eagal oirnn, solus Cnoc na Feille

Without doubt, it frightened us, the light on the hill at the market stance

Bha feadhainn ann a chuinnaic e 's cach ag innse nam breugan

There were those who saw it and those who told lies

Ach muinntir An Da Shealladh chiteadh iadsan co-dhiubh e

But those with the second sight saw it anyway

Tha lach is giadh is currag, nan caraidean air a mhachaire

The duck, the greylag and the lapwing, together on the moor

Tha feannag air a crocadh suas ceangailte le ropa

A dead crow on a fence, hanging by a rope

Tha coineanach 's a ghainmheach, na sheasamh abair urchaire

A rabbit in the dunes, a perfect standing target

There's nothing really explicit in the lyrics to suggest anything life-threatening but a definite air that something is not right... Which is sometimes scarier to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

My theory is that Britain is an isle once full of tribes who needed to illustrate and perhaps exaggerate their might to scare off their neighbours...

Lions in England, Dragons in Wales and some Dragon/Lion hybrid thing in Scotland.

Though I do love Scotland's unicorn for making my passport that much more cooler for it (it has a lion and a unicorn) on the front.

Edited by Snake-Pit

The Loch Ness Monster is a modern myth. The first sighting was 1933

The only recorded sighting before then was 565AD. From another website, "The first recorded sighting of Nessie was in 565 A.D. by Saint Columba. Saint Columba was an Irish missionary praised for spreading Christianity in Scotland. On one trip to the highlands, he ran across a group of people burying a man who had been bitten by the monster in the River Ness. The Saint supposedly asked another man present to swim across the river. When the man jumped in, the monster rose from the depths and Saint Columba, invoking God’s power, banished it. The story was written nearly a century after the supposed encounter; but even so, it remains a popular piece of “evidence” used to demonstrate Nessie’s existence"

Accounts from Irish missionaries, historically, have to be taken with a pinch of salt. They were more likely pissed out of their brains.

I've edited your last sentence for you.

• Like 2

My theory is that Britain is an isle once full of tribes who needed to illustrate and perhaps exaggerate their might to scare off their neighbours...

Lions in England, Dragons in Wales and some Dragon/Lion hybrid thing in Scotland.

Though I do love Scotland's unicorn for making my passport that much more cooler for it (it has a lion and a unicorn) on the front.

It is connected with royal heraldry. Knights from their respective countries displayed symbols on their standards while on Crusade. The Norman-Plantagenet dynasty of England had first used Lions on their Royal Standard, and, thereafter the Lion became symbolic with England. The Scottish 'Lion rampant' was first used by William I of Scotland. The unicorn was a supporter for the Royal Coat of Arms. The Welsh dragon has some murky quasi-mythological connection with Roman Britain and Arthurian legend.

Edited by DieselDaisy