Why do the UYI albums sound so dated?

Dr. Who

Nirvana are stoner rock, there's less songs a housewife can get into. There's no SCOM, NR, Patience etc. I see skate kids still wearing Nirvana t shirts. Great arty rock n roll band, kick up a storm. But are they much more commercial than Mudhoney?

Didn't Slash say in his autobiography that the original mixes with Bob Clearmountain (Or it may have been the Sex Pistols guy) were really raw?

But both of the albums are just overblown and overproduced (For me, what really "dates" it for me is the fucking stupid sound overdubs on KOHD, I can't listen to the studio version anymore). They're hard to digest together in one sitting. Even when it's trimmed down into a single 80-minute disc it suffers from the same problem.

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas

Ive never gotten the whole overproduced vibe about the UYIs. Theyre perfect to me.

I feel the word overproduced is over used for anyone who doesnt like somethin. You either like it or yoi dont...,whos anyone else to tell an artist whats overproduced and what isnt.

I've never felt this is too much. But some songs, say the Izzy material could be really bare bones and say Nov Rain could have been more opulent. But they went for the mid range to give the material cohesive sound across the whole 30 songs.

Then on CD each songs gets its own production.

But what I always thought GNR were going to do is Physical Graphiti meets Exile production wise.

Ultimately that might be too romantic. GNR aren't bohemians or even British.

Ive never gotten the whole overproduced vibe about the UYIs. Theyre perfect to me.

I feel the word overproduced is over used for anyone who doesnt like somethin. You either like it or yoi dont...,whos anyone else to tell an artist whats overproduced and what isnt.

I've never felt this is too much. But some songs, say the Izzy material could be really bare bones and say Nov Rain could have been more opulent. But they went for the mid range to give the material cohesive sound across the whole 30 songs.

Then on CD each songs gets its own production.

But what I always thought GNR were going to do is Physical Graphiti meets Exile production wise.

Ultimately that might be too romantic. GNR aren't bohemians or even British.

Btw, I think the only really overproduced song on Chinese is Catcher. With it, Axl went with the mid range production like you've said, giving the album a more cohesive sound, but it didn't serve the song quite as well for me, even if I really like having 2 different versions of Catcher. Lost it's classic sounding production and some of it's simple design and even focus if I'm really critical.

Edited by Rovim

I think it would have been perfect on Lies.

It also has a kind of epic quality to it and the early hazey vibe suits the mindset of the catcher.

You've got to pick a flavour or you have to drink Coke life.

I agree. I really enjoy classic coke and this performance for the perfect lies reasons: (Axl is so charming when he's in a good mood. look at him in the 0:09 mark doing the "groupie you take me higher jazz fingers")

Edited by Rovim

I can't watch YouTube vids but I may have seen Rose Bar catcher.

Actually Catcher is the one song that doesn't conjure up another band for me. They could have gone Oasis on it. It has glimmers of Hey Jude or some Queen song I don't know. It reminds me of Tomorrow Never Knows and Watching the Wheels. I guess with TIL, Catcher is kind of like UYI era. Scraped and Sorry sound like the most new sounding.

Actually Catcher is the one song that doesn't conjure up another band for me. They could have gone Oasis on it. It has glimmers of Hey Jude or some Queen song I don't know. It reminds me of Tomorrow Never Knows and Watching the Wheels. I guess with TIL, Catcher is kind of like UYI era. Scraped and Sorry sound like the most new sounding.

It's different compared to any other song on Chinese. The Hey Jude thing and Queen influence are there.

It does new things (for Guns) musically and lyrically. The fact that it worked so well for Axl is encouraging, cause it shows that maybe he can explore new themes and still maintain some Guns elements which is really exciting imo.

Axl + Beatles blend gives a classic feel to it, it's great.

Edited by Rovim