Will the Next Guns N' Roses Record Feature a Slash Cowrite?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-slash-song/

Axl Rose and Slash can’t work together, won’t speak to each other, won’t even reunite for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but the next Guns N Roses record could still feature a collaboration (of sorts) between the former bandmates.

That’s what current Guns guitarist Richard Fortus seemed to be suggesting, anyway, when he put in an appearance at a workshop on Nov. 20. Speaking to attendees, he weighed in on the ever-fascinating subject of if or when GNR might release another album, saying, “There’s so much stuff that’s recorded. There’s three albums worth of material, easy. Axl is very secretive — he doesn’t want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff then release it when it’s ready. He’s also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.”

Such a perfectionist, in fact, that it might only be on the next Guns N’ Roses record that he’s finally ready to release a song that got its start way back during Slash’s tenure with the band. “Some of the stuff comes from nothing and some of the stuff were ideas that were already there,” Fortus explained. “Some of the stuff Slash did — it was the beginning of the seed of a song that’s been around for a while.”

Of course, given the amount of tinkering Rose tends to do with material, who even knows what “beginning of the seed” will mean for the final song, or if Slash will even be able to hear his own input in the end result. If nothing else, it’s yet another example of the fact that no Axl Rose track is released before its time … and only Axl knows when that time will come.

Edited by Huge fan

That's all nice and exciting. But this is a dic(k)tatorship and Axl isn't releasing anything anyway. The sad fact is Richard doesn't know shit (he practically admits that). There might be a song somewhere from that era. Even if by some miracle GnR releases an album (or even two) there's no way of knowing it'd make the cut. He basically says some song like that exists. It might be re-recorded by Ashba or never see the light of day anyway. So basically, this says nothing. At all.

• Like 1

You would think he doesn't want anything to do with any Slash-material. On the other hand he might be thinking I'll take whatever I can from him. It's like that saying he had about Izzy long time ago. At least we got some good songs out of him or something like that he said after he had left. He might apply the same view in regards to Slash.

We'll probably hear some perfected and complexified Rapidfire tracks. In the works for 30 years now. Can you imagine how good they'll be?

That actually isn't a bad idea. Rather than fighting Kevin all this time he should have offered to perfect them in return for a 50/50 split.

You would think he doesn't want anything to do with any Slash-material. On the other hand he might be thinking I'll take whatever I can from him. It's like that saying he had about Izzy long time ago. At least we got some good songs out of him or something like that he said after he had left. He might apply the same view in regards to Slash.

I get the impression he regards any material recorded or wrote under the guns name as GnR rather than attributable to the person as such. Not in a royalties sense but overall.

• Like 1

We'll probably hear some perfected and complexified Rapidfire tracks. In the works for 30 years now. Can you imagine how good they'll be?

Dave Mustaine kept releasing tracks that he had created before Metallica and right after being kicked from Metallica up to 1990 (or, who knows, maybe even longer). So, it doesn't matter, really.

Can you imagine being Slash and getting an email asking for permission to use one of your riffs on the new GNR album?

No, but I can imagine a lawsuit or something like it coming from Slash. Unless the song in question is part of an agreement from a previous lawsuit