Rich & Spicy: A GN'R trademark

No I'm not talking about hotsauces. I mean the various sound effects one can find in the guns songs. There's a lot of them, especially in the oldGN'R songs. I think it adds to the songs and makes the songs richer. Firstly you have Axl's very versatile voice. High, deep, he could do it all. He did a lot of whistling in the early days. What would Patience be without the whistling at the beginning? He also has that shiver/trembling voice he does sometimes. Whispering. Screaming. Talking. And then there's all the "ohhhh" and "yeah" and similar. Devil laughter is another one. He even sings with an English accent just to add to the variety. Small comments at the end of songs. Personally love the dark double voice in Locomotive.

There's the famous sex moaning in RQ. Other girls voices in other songs. Chinese voices. Phone dialling and comments in KOHD. They also have some guest singers and other members of the band singing to add to the variety (Duff, Izzy, Tommy, Shannon). Medical instruments and the voice of the doctors. There's Trisha and Roberta. Then you have all the movie quotations they have incorporated into their songs. They're all a big part of the songs now, like Civil War.

I have mentioned some of them, there are others too, but as you can see the songs are full of them. So I think we can say it's sort of a trademark for their songs. I guess a lot of the songs have been worked on for a long while too so they had plenty of time to add all those effects on.

What do you think about the extra sounds they have added? Adds a positive dimension or would you prefer more "cleaner" songs without any effects?

• Like 2

I like the shiver on Shacklers, long time deep voice on TWAT, quote breakdown on Madagascar is epic.

It's hard to imagine songs without it because its all over all GNR albums.

Maybe keep it to a minimum, AFD or CD. UYI was a bit overkill.

• Like 1

Everything you mention is shit and shouldn't be on the songs, except maybe the whistling. It's kinda cringeworthy when you think of all the additional cheese Axl put on the pie.

The 80s/early 90s were a pretty cheesy timeperiod though :lol:

I don't know what you're talking about.

1991:

• Like 1

nothing but a fucking bitch...

cheesy sound effects on garden of eden

the voice at the beginning of the garden

fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu bitch

i know i know i know

t minus 1:09 and counting

whaz so civil bout war anyway?????????/

we create a vaccum

you dig what i'm sayin?????????

nothing but a fucking bitch...

cheesy sound effects on garden of eden

the voice at the beginning of the garden

fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu bitch

i know i know i know

t minus 1:09 and counting

whaz so civil bout war anyway?????????/

we create a vaccum

you dig what i'm sayin?????????

The only one I don't like is the sound effects on Garden of Eden and end of Civil War, but everything else in your list I actually like. (That doesn't mean it's not lame, but it's still fun).

I also throw in the 'Homefuck' whenever I play DTJ :lol:

Edited by RickRoses
  • Like 2

yes...there's also lyrics in the booklet "there's ways that we can find" that are listed in the middle of the I know's but I've never heard them..

i know i know i know

I'm blanking on this one.

it's in Shotgun Blues right before the IQ part

Of course. I kind of like that. At least he's singing, right? I don't hate that song as much as most people do, IQ part notwithstanding.

Edited by Sixes