Rich & Spicy: A GN'R trademark

No I'm not talking about hotsauces. I mean the various sound effects one can find in the guns songs. There's a lot of them, especially in the oldGN'R songs. I think it adds to the songs and makes the songs richer. Firstly you have Axl's very versatile voice. High, deep, he could do it all. He did a lot of whistling in the early days. What would Patience be without the whistling at the beginning? He also has that shiver/trembling voice he does sometimes. Whispering. Screaming. Talking. And then there's all the "ohhhh" and "yeah" and similar. Devil laughter is another one. He even sings with an English accent just to add to the variety. Small comments at the end of songs. Personally love the dark double voice in Locomotive.

There's the famous sex moaning in RQ. Other girls voices in other songs. Chinese voices. Phone dialling and comments in KOHD. They also have some guest singers and other members of the band singing to add to the variety (Duff, Izzy, Tommy, Shannon). Medical instruments and the voice of the doctors. There's Trisha and Roberta. Then you have all the movie quotations they have incorporated into their songs. They're all a big part of the songs now, like Civil War.

I have mentioned some of them, there are others too, but as you can see the songs are full of them. So I think we can say it's sort of a trademark for their songs. I guess a lot of the songs have been worked on for a long while too so they had plenty of time to add all those effects on.

What do you think about the extra sounds they have added? Adds a positive dimension or would you prefer more "cleaner" songs without any effects?

I haven't listened to it in a while, but I'm pretty sure the vocals on Locomotive are triple tracked. Kinda spoils the song a bit for me. Overkill.

Hey, what do you think he's trying to say there anyway?

I think it's something each person's supposed to take in their own special way

that hurt man

jack

maybe you'll do better next time....punk

and in this corner weighing in at 850 pounds!!

They're good if you know what to do with em and if they are genuine, with Guns they tend to sound a bit contrived. A bit cartooney. Jimi Hendrix used to do that shit too but it sounded ever so much more genuine. He seemed to really be enjoying, Jimi actually chuckles in between verses, a genuine chuckle.

Tupac is an example how laughed a lot on records, sounded quite false a lot of the time though. The Stones were good with that shit too, it comes from The Blues really, a lot of it. That and gospel, the whole call and response thing.

They sound great in places, then dreadful in others.