Where does Iron Mike rank all time?

Iron MikeyJ

Where does Iron Mike rank amoung the all time greats?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because losing to Douglas actually refocased Tyson, until he went to Prison that is. Go watch Tyson vs Ruddock 1 and 2. Evander Holyfield at his very best would have gotten steam rolled by either Tyson or Ruddock at that time.

Um, no. Firstly, Mike was not refocused. There's nothing that supports that POV. Secondly, I'm from Toronto. I know Ruddock. He was wholly overrated. You may as well be trying to sell me on the fact that Tyson was "back" after prison because he crushed a couple of cans.

Speaking of Holmes, Holyfield fought him 4 years after Mike, yet he took Holyfiled to decision. So by your logic, either Holmes magically got a lot better 4 years after Mike knocked him out or perhaps what I said is true. Holyfield wasn't that good during his initial reign. He was at his best in 1996~7.

That's not how boxing works, but I suspect you know that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re-watched Thrilla in Manila for the umpteenth time. It is a curious fight in many ways. Until that 14th round (when he did take a battering) Frazier seems to have unbelievable reservoirs of stamina and endurance whereas Ali looks knacked and a bit shocked by the 3rd or so round. Ali floats through all his various styles which he had accumulated over the years - standing firm in the centre and merely relying on the superiority of his boxing combos (the majority style), rope a dope (surfaces quite often) and dancing (more fleetingly and very flat footed when compared with his heyday). They seem to do the business and (probably) win the rounds but, on, on, Frazier comes, with the same old style of ducking and bobbing, and same, relentless energy!!

Ali does look a bit, out of shape (not to take away anything from the fight and the performance of Smokin Joe).

I feel, Ali, just knicked it on points, but certainly Frazier took a good, four rounds.

The crazy thing about that fight is Frazier was stopped on his stool cuz he couldn't see or rather his eyes were rapidly closing, one shut and one shutting. So they end the fight and all stands up off his stool and promptly collapses. So basically, if they'd've let that fight go on Ali would've dropped from exhaustion at the start of the last round, Frazier would've run surely? When Eddie Futch was talking in the corner to end the fight Frazier was like 'No, no!', so he was up for it. History could've been very different perhaps. Remember Frazier at the press conference, journalist was like 'how beat up were you?' and he snaps 'i wasn't beat up, i just couldn't see!'.

On topic:

Deontay Wilder and Mike are getting into it, in interviews and twitter. It started with some interview where Tyson was asked what he thought about Wilder and Mike was kinda dismissive, gave him credit for the knockouts but then said something like 'my three year old can knock people out, it depends on how well he takes a punch' to which Wilder tweeted something like would his three year old son chicken out and bite someone when he couldn't win the fight?'.

Well...he's doing great as is but he's not really had much competition, has he? I'd be interested to see him continue needling my boy Mike though, see what happens. Rumours are that he is a bit chinny but thats not really been proved in the ring, this clip is potentially illuminating though, this is him sparring with David Haye:

At the 1.05 mark he catches Wilder pretty good. That wild swinging winging style of his is a counter-punchers dream.

Edited by Len B'stard

The crazy thing about that fight is Frazier was stopped on his stool cuz he couldn't see or rather his eyes were rapidly closing, one shut and one shutting. So they end the fight and all stands up off his stool and promptly collapses. So basically, if they'd've let that fight go on Ali would've dropped from exhaustion at the start of the last round, Frazier would've run surely? When Eddie Futch was talking in the corner to end the fight Frazier was like 'No, no!', so he was up for it. History could've been very different perhaps. Remember Frazier at the press conference, journalist was like 'how beat up were you?' and he snaps 'i wasn't beat up, i just couldn't see!'.

He took a hammering though, in that 14 round. And Ali always found resources of energy.

He took a hammering though, in that 14 round. And Ali always found resources of energy.

Horrible hammering. He was just walking into shots on that one side of his face, i almost wanted Ali to stop hitting him. Men shouldn't have to go that far for our entertainment. Ali's an all time hero of mine, i got serious love for him and it occurs to me that...he kinda gave his nervous system for my/our entertainment. There's a documentary on that fight i dunno if you've seen it DIes' but it's fantastic. Frazier harboured a great deal of resentment towards Ali to the end and he's very blunt about it in this documentary, if you have some time I'd really like you to check it out, it's brilliant :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2906998/Mike-Tyson-sore-loser-whining-like-baby-crib-boxer-beat-champ-win-heavyweight-title-25-years-ago-450-pound-boozer-slipped-near-fatal-coma.html

Fuck off Buster you fat bitch, you wasn't saying that shit when he planked your fat arse in the 11th round. Why didn't you sign the contract for the fuckin' rematch and we'd've seen whoose a whining baby when Mike had you suckin' his dick in the first 6 rounds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2906998/Mike-Tyson-sore-loser-whining-like-baby-crib-boxer-beat-champ-win-heavyweight-title-25-years-ago-450-pound-boozer-slipped-near-fatal-coma.html

Fuck off Buster you fat bitch, you wasn't saying that shit when he planked your fat arse in the 11th round. Why didn't you sign the contract for the fuckin' rematch and we'd've seen whoose a whining baby when Mike had you suckin' his dick in the first 6 rounds.

This kind of shit really pisses me off, Buster is such a bitch. How often do you hear Mike talk about Buster? Never. But everytime that fat fuck opens his mouth it has the words Mike Tyson coming out of it. The dude literally had one good day in a other wise lackluster life, yet all he does is talk about that one day. Like I said earlier, him NEVER giving Mike a rematch is such bullshit. Even in 1996, 1997, etc Mike wanted to fight him again, but where was Buster? Hiding in Columbus talking about Tokyo. He knew he couldn't beat Mike again, yet all he does is talk shit. Typical Columbus native...

• Like 1

This kind of shit really pisses me off, Buster is such a bitch. How often do you hear Mike talk about Buster? Never. But everytime that fat fuck opens his mouth it has the words Mike Tyson coming out of it. The dude literally had one good day in a other wise lackluster life, yet all he does is talk about that one day. Like I said earlier, him NEVER giving Mike a rematch is such bullshit. Even in 1996, 1997, etc Mike wanted to fight him again, but where was Buster? Hiding in Columbus talking about Tokyo. He knew he couldn't beat Mike again, yet all he does is talk shit. Typical Columbus native...

You know why, don't ya? Cuz the only reason anyones heard of this shitbag is in relation to Mike Tyson, his life is literally defined by having met Mike Tyson. I wouldn't mind but try maybe have some fuckin' respect cuz Mike never really talked no shit in that regard, accepted the loss, all of that.