The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Also boxers don't really earn a lot of money unless they are in the upper percentile.  For example someone like Dave Allen, I'd say he'd be getting like 20,000 a fight, all told.  Now lets say he fights twice or three times a year, 40 to 60,000 a year, its hardly Arab money is it?  Just about enough to furnish oneself with a comfortable middle class lifestyle I suppose, I bet there's people on this forum on more than that. 

Not bad money for a dead Irish comedian.

I suppose my point is not that boxers are greedier than say footballers and cricketers - although that may be the case - but that they are more honest and upfront about their avarice. Let's say a footballer moves clubs for squillions he'll still go through the whole, ''it is a move to further my career and experience football elsewhere'' routine. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suppose my point is not that boxers are greedier than say footballers and cricketers - although that may be the case - but that they are more honest and upfront about their avarice. Let's say a footballer moves clubs for squillions he'll still go through the whole, ''it is a move to further my career and experience football elsewhere'' routine. 

They earn a lot less and they have a very precarious sort of a peak so its in their interest to get as much out of it as they can.  Take your footballers right, lets say someone makes 150-200 grand a week, or even 250 to make the sums easier for me, thats a million a month, 12 million a year...quite a few football players are on that and if the good ones have a peak of about 6 or 7 years where they make that, thats a lot of coin.  Now name me the boxer who makes that sort of money...you'll struggle too...and they certain don't make it consistently.  Take someone like Amir Khan, who is quite a big name whatever anyone might think of him, 9 mil he made for fighting Canelo, probably the best he has ever earned in a fight and best he ever will...and there are probably, I dunno, less than 7 or 8 fighters in the world who can command that or upwards of that right now.  The vast majority of them are on very little comparitively.  I'm trying to think of the fighters who can make millions today, Canelo, GGG, Amir Khan...Lomachenko...Manny Pacquiao...really very few relatively, it also depends on what fights get made too though, see this is the thing about boxing, a few loses and your wages plummet potentially, so its not like a football player where you kinda know that for a certain period you're guaranteed heavy money. 

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They earn a lot less and they have a very precarious sort of a peak so its in their interest to get as much out of it as they can.  Take your footballers right, lets say someone makes 150-200 grand a week, or even 250 to make the sums easier for me, thats a million a month, 12 million a year...quite a few football players are on that and if the good ones have a peak of about 6 or 7 years where they make that, thats a lot of coin.  Now name me the boxer who makes that sort of money...you'll struggle too...and they certain don't make it consistently.  Take someone like Amir Khan, who is quite a big name whatever anyone might think of him, 9 mil he made for fighting Canelo, probably the best he has ever earned in a fight and best he ever will...and there are probably, I dunno, less than 7 or 8 fighters in the world who can command that or upwards of that right now.  The vast majority of them are on very little comparitively.  I'm trying to think of the fighters who can make millions today, Canelo, GGG, Amir Khan...Lomachenko...Manny Pacquiao...really very few relatively, it also depends on what fights get made too though, see this is the thing about boxing, a few loses and your wages plummet potentially, so its not like a football player where you kinda know that for a certain period you're guaranteed heavy money. 

You're missing my point though. It is not about the amount of money they make or whether they're more avarice (than other sportsmen) but that they've a sort of ''American attitude'' to money. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're missing my point though. It is not about the amount of money they make or whether they're more avarice (than other sportsmen) but that they've a sort of ''American attitude'' to money. 

Yeah no I got that, I was just expanding on the point generally, you're right in that respect.  I hate the American attitude to money and its filtering in to the younger generations here.  A good example is this, watch a yank when they first get big money, they go out and buy custard coloured labourghinis and weird shit like that, over here someone'll get like a fuckin' nice sleek looking Aston or a Bentley.  Tasteful, classy, historical.  Watch a yank get a watch when they're newly minted, it'll be like a fuckin' diamond encrusted monstrosity. 

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Plus a footballer can be at the start of his 250k per week contract and play shit for ten matches in a row and still collect the money for another 4 years. A boxer might negotiate his money for the next fight then have a bad day and get flattened and his earning potential is massively reduced next time.

All this fight the commentators have been talking like ‘i wonder if Thurman put his foot on the gas could he get Lopez out of there’ no fuck that, Lopez’s shots are keeping him at bay and he’s handling Thurmans shots, they don’t see the obvious or they’re biased.

Fair play to him, good little fighter, over-achiever really, I never thought much of him, good technically sound boxer but quite fragile at the top level, got a soft touch on the title he won, for the 3rd or 4th time of asking and only ever defended it against Jamie Cox and Chris Eubank Jnr, hardly top drawer opponents, came up short twice against Carl Froch and once against Badou Jack.  Would've been nice to see a DeGale rematch but then again why would he, he'll have that over DeGale for the rest of his life, despite the fact that DeGale achieved more.

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Not sure how I feel about this he has beaten Whyte before and it wasn't a great fight .. I know he is soon set to become mandatory so I guess sooner rather than later 

I think Whyte as earned it, the guys basically been up for fighting everybody, even fighters who no one wants to fight or would be a tough ask...twice in the case of Chisora, he's definitely earned it, apart from his US debut he's fought all good names and since Wilder and Fury are clearly tied up for AJ who else is there?  Big Baby Miller I suppose but then that would be a massive cop out cuz Dillian has fought the much better fighters than Miller.  I think Dillians the best name out there at the moment thats available.

25 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Would like to see him Fight Jarrell Miller on the basis of him making his US debut but we all no the heavy weight division is right here in the UK at the minute.

Yeah but who wants to go all the way to America to fight an overgrown black jelly baby when he could just as easily stay here and have a big domestic dust up with Dillian Whyte.

10 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Very true but the money is in breaking America apparently I guess due to the stupid amount of money they charge for PPV

But then whoose gonna pay silly money to see Josh?  And it'll be on Hearns DAZN streaming platform thing and its only a score a month so its not like they'll be extra PPV money.  At least thats what i think the situation is, i don't really keep up with the business end anymore, it gets tiresome, i just want to see the cunts fight.

10 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Is DAZN U.S exclusive or can we get it here? Not a fan of streaming if i'm honest tried that Eleven sports for a month couldn't get on with it give me a fucking Sky channel 

I dunno mate, I don't think so, I think its just American.  Cuz they give all the footy on it too, which is a blinder if they had that over here, 20 quid a turn for all the fights and footy, i'd lay out 50 for that.

And we wonder why British middleweights of the early 90s avoided going the Americans, American middleweight division was full of killers, Roy Jones, James Toney, Mike McCallum, Julian Jackson, Gerald Mcllelan, those five alone would've destroyed any British middleweight, the reason why Eubank and Benn are a big deal today because, by and large, they avoided the aforementioned.  Michael Watson, to his eternal credit, had the guts to go over and try Mike McCallum on for size...didn't work out so well for him.

Roberto Duran, what a fucking man.  Possibly the greatest lightweight that ever lived, 70 and 1 (avenged the loss twice by KO) as a lightweight, that alone was enough to cement him as an all time great, then he goes up to welter, beats Sugar Ray Leonard...I'll repeat that, beats Sugar Ray Leonard...I'll repeat that again, BEATS Sugar Ray Leonard, in his prime, goes on to win titles and light middleweight and middleweight also and retires with a record of 119 fights and 16 losses, with 70 odd knockouts, having boxed in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s...and only then cuz a car crash meant he had to, I mean what a man, what a champion, what a fighter, pigeon-holed by the uninitiated as a brawler and a slugger, and he had a fair bit of that in him but was about as technically sound a fighter as I've ever seen.  Raised in Los Santos Panama, used to fight on the streets aged 10 for a loaf of bread to take home to his family.  A proper hard cunt of the highest order.

• Like 1