The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

So I'm gonna say something "controversial" here, shocker lol.

Anyways... A draw was the BEST thing that could have happened in that fight. Why? It blurred the picture even more, instead of clarifying it. We say we want one definitive champion, but that's not true, what we want is drama. When you look back at heavyweight division history, drama ALWAYS provided the most interest (with only a few exceptions). When we have one guy that's clearly the best, that's when things are typically boring. Look at Klitchko, he dominated for YEARS, yet NOBODY cared. I could say the same about Lennox Lewis and Larry Holmes, great champions, yet NOBODY cared. When we (the fans) dont know "who is the best" it makes for more interesting fights, and eras. 

Tyson would be the exception to this "rule," but he provided unique excitement as champ. If you have a guy that's gonna go in and wreck his opponents, then yes we get excited. But unless you have a guy like THAT (Tyson, Foreman, Liston, Marciano, Dempsey, etc), but for the most part a "muddled" picture creates more interest. Joe Louis and Ali were the exceptions to this rule imo. Yes they were dominate for long periods of times, and boxing was at its biggest under those two. But come on, it was Ali and Louis. They are the exceptions. Besides those two, you need a BIG puncher or you need drama. I mean heck, look at Gene Tunney, he was a GREAT champion, yet has been mostly forgotten. Why? Not a big puncher and no drama. 

So as for the current era, the draw was THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED. If Wilder had knocked out Fury, then most people would have said "Fury was washed up," etc. If Fury had won, than most would say "Wilder was an overrated paper champion." They would also say "Joshua is the real champion." Now we have 3 legit contenders, which makes the division really exciting. More exciting than it's been in years.

16 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

So I'm gonna say something "controversial" here, shocker lol.

Anyways... A draw was the BEST thing that could have happened in that fight. Why? It blurred the picture even more, instead of clarifying it. We say we want one definitive champion, but that's not true, what we want is drama. When you look back at heavyweight division history, drama ALWAYS provided the most interest (with only a few exceptions). When we have one guy that's clearly the best, that's when things are typically boring. Look at Klitchko, he dominated for YEARS, yet NOBODY cared. I could say the same about Lennox Lewis and Larry Holmes, great champions, yet NOBODY cared. When we (the fans) dont know "who is the best" it makes for more interesting fights, and eras. 

Tyson would be the exception to this "rule," but he provided unique excitement as champ. If you have a guy that's gonna go in and wreck his opponents, then yes we get excited. But unless you have a guy like THAT (Tyson, Foreman, Liston, Marciano, Dempsey, etc), but for the most part a "muddled" picture creates more interest. Joe Louis and Ali were the exceptions to this rule imo. Yes they were dominate for long periods of times, and boxing was at its biggest under those two. But come on, it was Ali and Louis. They are the exceptions. Besides those two, you need a BIG puncher or you need drama. I mean heck, look at Gene Tunney, he was a GREAT champion, yet has been mostly forgotten. Why? Not a big puncher and no drama. 

So as for the current era, the draw was THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED. If Wilder had knocked out Fury, then most people would have said "Fury was washed up," etc. If Fury had won, than most would say "Wilder was an overrated paper champion." They would also say "Joshua is the real champion." Now we have 3 legit contenders, which makes the division really exciting. More exciting than it's been in years.

To add to this, in reference to your comment that we want a definitive champ, definitive champs leave no doubt i.e. they leave the opposition plankin', so if you wanna be definitive like that do a definitive job :shrugs:  There was no argument about how definitive Mike was right?  Cuz he put them on their fuckin' arse and kept them there. 

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm happy with a draw. If Wilder had won it would have been an even more extreme reaction than the opinions found here (''Fury wos robbed''), and if Fury had won people would have immediately cited the two knockdowns. 

I struggle to find anyone, American or English, who thinks Fury didn't win.  From big time fighters and pundits to your average fellas 2 cents, even a bunch of people who you would imagine might side with Wilder for racial or nationalistic or whatever reasons, they don't seem to be. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

To add to this, in reference to your comment that we want a definitive champ, definitive champs leave no doubt i.e. they leave the opposition plankin', so if you wanna be definitive like that do a definitive job :shrugs:  There was no argument about how definitive Mike was right?  Cuz he put them on their fuckin' arse and kept them there. 

I struggle to find anyone, American or English, who thinks Fury didn't win.  From big time fighters and pundits to your average fellas 2 cents, even a bunch of people who you would imagine might side with Wilder for racial or nationalistic or whatever reasons, they don't seem to be. 

I can think of two instantly who thought ''Fury didn't win'': 2/3 of the judges.

Who do you have in your p[picture now? Dirty Den?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fair enough, but Malcolm X?  Best one was of course Frank Spencer. 

I never had fuckin' Frank Spencer, it was Robert Lindsay for crying out loud :lol:

0030402300000258-3230117-image-a-123_144

Thats not a Frank Spencer beret, its a Che Guevera star of la revolucion beret :lol:  And Malcolm was a prince. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yes, the famous Wincobank PED gym of Sheffield :lol: 

I don't know about you but I couldn't care less about Brook v Khan just doesn't interest me. 

I'm starting to see through the Matchroom patter aswell. A few years ago they kept banging on about all these British World champions they had. But where are they now?

Bellew pulled a good con job off, Selby showed he's not got the bollocks and needs to stop breeding dogs and focus. How Chisora is PPV at this stage in his career is unbelievable.

Let's be honest a belt can be bought and Eddie paid enough for two yank fools who themselves held vacant titles to fall over for AJ to collect his. 

Barry Hearn was talking about 50/50 being a non starter to fight Joshua because he brings in all the audience because he sells out 90k at Wembley and its complicated to fight anyone who has a contract outside of Sky. It's a sad state of affairs when one company tries to tie it all up.

Edited by spunko12345
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I can’t disagree with a single thing there.  Also, doesn’t Johnny Nelson chat the most shit of anyone you’ve ever encountered?

He does in front of a Sky camera, same as Froch. They're engaging, funny and talk properly on IFL and Micheles Phelps but the batteries come out when on Sky duty.

Have you seen the latest one Dave Allen. Fuck me. You just need to get a few thousand in the local arena by being a gobshite and Eddie will be sniffing around nowadays 😁

6 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

He does in front of a Sky camera, same as Froch. They're engaging, funny and talk properly on IFL and Micheles Phelps but the batteries come out when on Sky duty.

Have you seen the latest one Dave Allen. Fuck me. You just need to get a few thousand in the local arena by being a gobshite and Eddie will be sniffing around nowadays 😁

I wont hear a word against young Dave, Daves a future world champion mate :lol:

As for Chisora and Whyte, its just the soap opera, the reality of the fight was they were both blowing out of their arses by the 5th round, its main point of attraction is two dirty great big black fuckers who are loose cannons and have got enough of a dig ro put each others lights out at any point.

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I wont hear a word against young Dave, Daves a future world champion mate :lol:

As for Chisora and Whyte, its just the soap opera, the reality of the fight was they were both blowing out of their arses by the 5th round, its main point of attraction is two dirty great big black fuckers who are loose cannons and have got enough of a dig ro put each others lights out at any point.

The last Chisora/Whyte was a Hearn dream get them in there smash the living daylight fuck out of each other for 12 rounds and get a ppv rematch in. 

I reckon Dillian Whyte would be closer to another world title shot if he fucked Matchroom off otherwise he's at risk as becomming another puncher for hire like Chisora taking any old fight. Which would be a shame cos he deserves another decent stab at getting a Wilder/AJ/Fury.

But I suppose my point is that there are loads of Heavyweights out there that deserve a shot. America surely must be able to muster a heavyweight boxer as good as Dillian so why am I rooting for him to be given an opportunity?  (Ill answer my own question) Marketing.

I've bought in, I fucking love him but give him a proper route to EARN a world title but let's not have a PPV when really it means Jack shit. 

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

The last Chisora/Whyte was a Hearn dream get them in there smash the living daylight fuck out of each other for 12 rounds and get a ppv rematch in. 

I reckon Dillian Whyte would be closer to another world title shot if he fucked Matchroom off otherwise he's at risk as becomming another puncher for hire like Chisora taking any old fight. Which would be a shame cos he deserves another decent stab at getting a Wilder/AJ/Fury.

But I suppose my point is that there are loads of Heavyweights out there that deserve a shot. America surely must be able to muster a heavyweight boxer as good as Dillian so why am I rooting for him to be given an opportunity?  (Ill answer my own question) Marketing.

I've bought in, I fucking love him but give him a proper route to EARN a world title but let's not have a PPV when really it means Jack shit. 

Got a decent stream by any chance?