The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fury had his jab here and there and his ducking and bobbing and Lardy Ali impressions. He did alright I suppose and may have been ahead if not for the small detail of enduring two knockdowns! Don't know how anyone can see this as Fury's?

Two knockdowns means 2 10-8 rounds, other than that i didnt see Wilder win a single round convincingly, the rest of the rounds were clear Fury rounds, one of em was close but even if you get that round to Wilder its 7 to 5 in Furys favour.

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Two knockdowns means 2 10-8 rounds, other than that i didnt see Wilder win a single round convincingly, the rest of the rounds were clear Fury rounds, one of em was close but even if you get that round to Wilder its 7 to 5 in Furys favour.

I don't agree. I had Wilder about two-ahead before the first knock down. Not a lot of Fury's jabs were even connecting. 

If the match was 15 rounds, Wilder wins by ko.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I didnt watch the fight, so I cant speak definitively on anything. Having said that, one thing that DOES need to change is how boxing is scored. Teddy talked about it in that podcast I spoke of earlier. There isnt any sort of universal guidelines on how to score it. Hence why you get decisions like that. Some judges like jabs, while others like the power shots. The fact is, one clean power shot does more damage than 10-15 jabs. But some guys just jab all night long, then hold, and try and get the desicions. That's one aspect of the sport that needs to be changed. So if you view a fight like 1 power shot equals 10 plus jabs, that tends to even out the scoring a bit. 

Like I said, I didnt watch the fight, so I cant say that all Fury did was jab. But it DOES seem like Wilder connected with the bigger shots, that's gotta be worth MORE than rounds Fury won with the jab imo. Honestly, if you get dropped twice in a fight, but didn't put the other guy down at all, you are LUCKY to get a draw imo. I dont care if you won all the other rounds, who hurt who more? That's the REAL point of boxing, not winning on points. Desicions were put in place because guys were dying in the ring. But modern fighters use it as a tactic, which is crap imo. I say go back to 15 rounds then...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suppose you lot must have been pissed as lords staying up 'till 5 am. I saw this fight at about 9:30am, Ukrainian commentary which was interesting, so was of sober mind.

Commentators, journalists and judges are the most pissed people at every boxing event :lol:

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fury was flat on his back twice haha! Alright he deserves some credit recovering but what sort of sane person would conclude Fury the winner?

The judging criteria?  Thats two ten 8 rounds right?  For Wilder to have won that he’d need 3 other rounds and there’s no way on earth that is the case.  BT Sports had him up on their card, even the Showtime American commentators had Fury up.

Like I just said, the "judging criteria" is all over the place. There isnt one "criteria" that they are supposed to follow. Not to mention, you have boxing judges doing MMA fights and vice versa, and NONE of them ever actually fought. 

Former fighters and trainers should be judging imo. This is why we get all these crazy decisions, they have no idea what they are looking at.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The judging criteria?  Thats two ten 8 rounds right?  For Wilder to have won that he’d need 3 other rounds and there’s no way on earth that is the case.  BT Sports had him up on their card, even the Showtime American commentators had Fury up.

I had him 2 behind before he ended up on his arse.

For me personally (again, I haven't actually seen the fight, so I'm just generalizing), but I dont believe in most 10-9 round scores. In order for a fighter to LOSE a round, something significant has to happen. More than just throwing punches or getting punched (its boxing, that's what you are supposed to do). I need to see someone get staggered, that's a 9 scored round for me. Or if someone is literally running and avoiding the "action" I MIGHT give them a 9 after they have done it for a few rounds consecutively. But for me, most rounds before round 5 are 10-10 rounds, unless somebody gets "staggered." I hate seeing the "feeling" out rounds awared to one fighter or another when neither really did much of anything. Seriously, what's the point in that??? Those rounds are draws imo.

5 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

For me personally (again, I haven't actually seen the fight, so I'm just generalizing), but I dont believe in most 10-9 round scores. In order for a fighter to LOSE a round, something significant has to happen. More than just throwing punches or getting punched (its boxing, that's what you are supposed to do). I need to see someone get staggered, that's a 9 scored round for me. Or if someone is literally running and avoiding the "action" I MIGHT give them a 9 after they have done it for a few rounds consecutively. But for me, most rounds before round 5 are 10-10 rounds, unless somebody gets "staggered." I hate seeing the "feeling" out rounds awared to one fighter or another when neither really did much of anything. Seriously, what's the point in that??? Those rounds are draws imo.

You score them based on ring generalship, affective aggressiveness.

Hopefully they will negotiate a rematch and Joshua will have to take a backseat while these two sort it out. And maybe give his promoter guru a good fucking clout for temporarily making him an afterthought in the talk over which is the biggest heavyweight fight everyone wants. After the rematch (If it happens I don't think Wilder will fancy it) the three of them hopefully fight each other over the next two years.