The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

I dont think he looks the finished article though you can see the addition of Adam Booth in his corner was great, hes a boxer so he should box, use his strength, not try and brawl cuz it aint him though O Sullivan was disgraceful to him so im not suprised he wanted to clean him out.

I dont think they will line Ant' up too quick, i think he and his team got a bit of a wake up call there about how, as you rightly said, him not being the finished product, he was talking about doing Furys and such before this fight then at the end he was a lot more sober about what the immediate future holds, Paulie Maligiaggi had a real good point about him and David Haye and how their styles would work against each other.

I think they should go for Erkan Teper next.

That knock out was absolutely brutal from Joshua, it's a decent step up and he showed some spirit he hasn't had to show yet, I think Haye's timing and agility would trouble him significantly this early in his career, mind you Haye will have a lot of ring rust to shake off but the rest will have done his body good and he's never took any bad punishment.

Talking about brutal... the once revered Roy Jones Jr got knocked the fuck out in his russian debut against Enzo Mac... embarrassing at this point and he still won't throw in the towel, it's real depressing watching Captain Hook do this to himself, just stop... Imagine if RJJ retired after beating Ruiz for the heavyweight title.. I try not to hold fighter's careers past prime against them but it works another way, longevity shows the ring IQ of many fighters, they adjust their approach and it's more about the fundamentals and outsmarting the other guy, Jones Jr relied on his athleticism more than anything and he hasn't had the reflexes he used to get away with before he came back taking the weight off and looked sluggish vs Tarver 1.

I couldn't not laugh at this weird spoof rap I saw on youtube of Jones Jr's hilarious 'Y'all must've forgot'' rap song

When I fought average tarver and he absolutely cracked my fragile glass chin, y'all musta forgot
When journeyman plodder Johnson shattered some glass in the ring, y'all musta forgot
When shot, blown up Joe calzaghe smashed me with his glass hands, y'all musta forgot
When I couldn't even last a round with a bum called Danny the green machine green, y'all musta forgot
When euro level cruiser lebedev, put me on a stretcher in Russia, y'all musta forgot!!!!!!!!

Even Leonard said so 'i consider me and Tommy evens'. Really and truly Tommy is the least rated of the big four when he should be the most. He was beating Hagler pretty soundly until that third round, he was WAAAY ahead of Leonard in the first fight until getting blitzed, second one as you say was a rob job and he sparked out Duran so hard i thought his head was gonna do a 360, sickening punch that was.

Even Leonard said so 'i consider me and Tommy evens'. Really and truly Tommy is the least rated of the big four when he should be the most. He was beating Hagler pretty soundly until that third round, he was WAAAY ahead of Leonard in the first fight until getting blitzed, second one as you say was a rob job and he sparked out Duran so hard i thought his head was gonna do a 360, sickening punch that was.

I agree with that. He's kind of the forgotten man from that era. I think Leonard is mildly overrated.

I agree with that. He's kind of the forgotten man from that era. I think Leonard is mildly overrated.

There's another school of thought that says that he always came up short when stepping up. Losses to the likes of Iran Barkley didn't do him no favours either. I dunno, i love Tommy Hearns though, probably my personal favorite of that era.

There's another school of thought that says that he always came up short when stepping up. Losses to the likes of Iran Barkley didn't do him no favours either. I dunno, i love Tommy Hearns though, probably my personal favorite of that era.

Yeah, but if you give him 1 or 2 of those fights that he clearly won then I think it erases that whole perception.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

No way. No way can you come out of retirement, beat Hagler, and be called 'overrated'. Love Leonard. Truly my chap.

No way. No way can you come out of retirement, beat Hagler, and be called 'overrated'. Love Leonard. Truly my chap.

You might if you've been waiting his prime out. Not saying thats necessarily my opinion.

I think Wlad Klit has had it at the top level.

Fury looks horrible and isn;t grea to watch but hes a smart fighter.

Eubank Jr looked really good. All this tak about Golokvin should stop. He needs to step up and fight a solid euro level oppoment next in my opinin.

Joshua is still in work in progress, but fair play to him for fighting a live oppoment. I think he should lower his sights a little and fight a British level oppoment next. Chisora would be ideal, or go Euro level.

Who is Khan going to fight? Wasting his prime, he needs to just bite the bullet and fight Brook, it's not going to become a bigger fight as Brook has been injured and Khan been chasing phantoms, maybe each have a tune up in spring then do it for summer, world title, millions, bragging rights... no other choice now.

Who is Khan going to fight? Wasting his prime, he needs to just bite the bullet and fight Brook, it's not going to become a bigger fight as Brook has been injured and Khan been chasing phantoms, maybe each have a tune up in spring then do it for summer, world title, millions, bragging rights... no other choice now.

Since Pacman has settled on Bradley i think he will now.

You know what manny ought've done? Fight kell brook! Khan is dilly dallying about not knowing whether he wants to take that risk (even though it would probably make him more than fighting Pacman or Mayweather) so get in there first, it'd be like Mayweather beating Alvarez if he wins, what a come back that would be, he's fucking beat Bradley twice, who is in elite fighter but I don't want to see that fight again, only Arum's pockets do since they're both top rank.

Yeah I get that Brook isn't the most well known commodity overseas but he has the IBF belt and is undefeated, surely that's better than Algieri or Rios who Arum managed to sell, the UK always get behind their fighters too. Bradley is a great opponent but not if he's already been beaten twice clearly, it's a pointless fight for Manny, even if Bradley wins well Pac's coming off a loss and supposed shoulder injury anyway, I'd rather Bradley fight Brook, Thurman or Khan. Just Arum keeping the money in house.

Yeah I get that Brook isn't the most well known commodity overseas but he has the IBF belt and is undefeated, surely that's better than Algieri or Rios who Arum managed to sell, the UK always get behind their fighters too. Bradley is a great opponent but not if he's already been beaten twice clearly, it's a pointless fight for Manny, even if Bradley wins well Pac's coming off a loss and supposed shoulder injury anyway, I'd rather Bradley fight Brook, Thurman or Khan. Just Arum keeping the money in house.

A one legged spastic with squeegees for fists is better than Algieri. I agree and you're right but to Americans people like Thurman, Garcia etc would be more saleable. Overall you're right though, there is no fight out there for him bigger than Brook, if we can get PPV and arena sellouts on borderline novices like Joshua and Whyte then Brook should be massive. Come over here and fight him and i bet ya they'd fill Wembley Stadium, sell out in hours.

Edited by Len B'stard

It says a lot about Khan when Algieri, literally the definition of playing it safe gives you a good fight and walks you down as the fight progresses... I genuinely think Khan had a terrible night and wasn't motivated in the slightest, Algieri showed he learned a lot from the Pacman drubbing and kept himself relevant by not being walked over by another big name but what on earth was Khan's thought process for picking him, he literally could not do any worse than his Pacquiao fight and had a new trainer and new ambition.

It's funny on the Brook thing cause he doesn't really carry much weight internationally and Khan has been over there for years now rebuilding and trying to get a slice of the pie yet they aren't really receptive to him, he couldn't even get the Pacquiao fight when Pacquiao has no opponents lol, Arum said he isn't big enough for PPV in america yet Khan thinks he's the biggest star in the sport after Manny and Money. I like Khan, his chin is suspect and he is deluded but he is a good guy and has a lot of heart, imo he was superior when Roach was training him, he calculates more under Hunter and holds excessively but maybe not lingering around for combo punch 5 and 6 and just going for 3 and 4 will fare him better when he fights a puncher again.

Also, I watched a vid where Atlas was furious at Bradley getting the bogus decision over Manny in 1 and today I saw he called the first fight a fucking draw! Talk about toeing the party line lol.

It says a lot about Khan when Algieri, literally the definition of playing it safe gives you a good fight and walks you down as the fight progresses... I genuinely think Khan had a terrible night and wasn't motivated in the slightest, Algieri showed he learned a lot from the Pacman drubbing and kept himself relevant by not being walked over by another big name but what on earth was Khan's thought process for picking him, he literally could not do any worse than his Pacquiao fight and had a new trainer and new ambition.

Khan never fought someone that was running away from him before, it threw him off, then by the later rounds his non-training arse got gassed and he started to get walked down.

Also, I watched a vid where Atlas was furious at Bradley getting the bogus decision over Manny in 1 and today I saw he called the first fight a fucking draw! Talk about toeing the party line lol.

It's good to remember what sides your breads buttered though eh? :lol: He was mates with Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano y'know.