Will we have a new GN'R album this time next year ?

I honestly have more hope we'll find the passengers of malaysia 370 with pulses before Axl releases an album in his lifetime. I truly pity the people who believe that less than I do people still believing in CD 2 pre Axl's death.

Many people said the same thing about Chinese and that it will never be released. Axl is capable of releasing albums. He just doesn't do it very often. There's a difference between late as shit to never gonna release anymore shit. Surprised that's lost on you and others it seems. You think a person like Axl, which does have influence in the industry can't release an album if he wants to? and he seems willing to do it now. Maybe it will take a couple of years until Axl is satisfied with whatever deal he needs to close with the label, or maybe he's putting the finishing touches on CD ll, or a new DJ song he wants to stick in there with new vocals.

All I know is that recent shit points to the band shifting gears to a release. Let's not be totally dismissive here. This is not nothing. Something's going on, Axl is on it which means there's at least a good chance it will happen before 2020. 2016 feels right.

Edited by Rovim

I think it's easy to be pessimistic about seeing new material. When a band has delivered only one album of new material in over twenty years it's hard to get too hopeful that fans will see anything substantial for any given year.

But I do remain optimistic that we'll eventually see something eventually. I go back to Axl's interview with Kurt Loder in '99 when Axl said he wasn't putting in all this work just to leave it buried.

Will it be this year? Who knows. But it's going to be sometime, and I've got to figure it to be sometime in the next year or two.

• Like 2

This is a genuine question for you if you care to answer - do you really think a new GNR album release is a more remote possibility than you thought Chinese Democracy's release was, say, 10 years ago? I'm curious because there were times I thought we'd never see that album, and I certainly wasn't alone in that. Circumstances (and the label) conspired to make sure it did eventually see the light of day. What makes you so certain that this couldn't eventually happen again?

Yes. Well, to start, Chinese Democracy had a name. That helped to create its myth and why not, its commercial name. It became sort of a brand. It totally helped to create a hype. Now Axl is older, the new band has not even written a song together, the music business is completely different and Axl hasn't really adapted to it. One song on Itunes and the music world would talk (briefly) about GNR again, for example. He refuses to do that. The band members all have their main projects and GNR is their side project, where they play 1-2 months a year and disband again.

The major factor is still Axl. He's probably too scared to face public criticism again. He seems happy with playing the old stuff and partying. I'm not sure he really likes what his current band brings to the table, Beta and TB don't push him to do anything because they're afraid to piss him off. He's happy as a Vegas entertainer. He speaks about new music on interviews to avoid even harder questions, probably. He's fine with being a bloated has been entertaining clueless South Americans who still think Slash is in the band.

Bottom line, he's fine being a shadow of himself. His voice seems to be gone, same for his passion. He'll make some more money while he still able to, release some anniversary AFD, UYI or CD edition and that's it. Could I be totally wrong? of course. I'm just judging what I can see, read, and hear. Is there a monumental plan to take GNR back to the highest heights of music? No. Plans for a new album? That's just naive. More touring and retirement plans? From what we can see, it's clearly the most likely option.

• Like 1

I honestly have more hope we'll find the passengers of malaysia 370 with pulses before Axl releases an album in his lifetime. I truly pity the people who believe that less than I do people still believing in CD 2 pre Axl's death.

Many people said the same thing about Chinese and that it will never be released. Axl is capable of releasing albums. He just doesn't do it very often. There's a difference between late as shit to never gonna release anymore shit. Surprised that's lost on you. You think a person like Axl, which does have influence in the industry can't release an album if he wants to? and he seems willing to do it now. Maybe it will take a couple of years until Axl is satisfied with whatever deal he needs to close with the label, or maybe he's putting the finishing touches on CD ll, or a new DJ song he wants to stick in there with new vocals.

All I know is that recent shit points to the band shifting gears to a release. Let's not be totally dismissive here. This is not nothing. Something's going on, Axl is on it which means there's at least a good chance it will happen before 2020. 2016 feels right.

Well then they were retards and it sure as shit wasn't me. Just the mystique of cd had enough commercial endurance to make it all worth giving it a whirl. Granted I didn't know when or how it would be released, but I knew there was way too much at stake for everyone involved not to release it.

But that ain't the case anymore. The aftermath left a clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks. There's no mystique or general demand this time. The label doesn't give a shit, they made their money back and then some, and they have no incentive to really give a shit beyond a reunion or anything that has to do with nostalgia. They're never gonna do anything for nu guns besides just releasing the album, and that kinda mentality is never gonna fly with Axl. Plus his overwhelming insecurities.

Him still tinkering on his delusions of grandeur like he has for years is going nowhere it hasn't gone for, well years. Which is nowhere. It's no more asinine than holding your breath for a reunion now. Genuinely feel sorry for the people still doing this to themselves.

A post death album is the only remote chance we have at a official release. There's too many road blocks otherwise.

When a band has delivered only one album of new material in over twenty years it's hard to get too hopeful that fans will see anything substantial for any given year.

Not even considering that the band that wrote and recorded that album, no longer exists.

Honestly though, do you really think Axl will wait 10 years between releases again? I know he's insane. I know it in my heart. It's just doesn't seem likely to me and I've been through the silent years and all the fuckin' shit like the rest of ya'll. but Axl mentioned something about how Bucket, Robin and the original new Guns line up (lol) were the right people for Chinese as a project and that the current line up is right for anything beyond that.

I think Axl will, at the very least, release the rest of what he calls a double album. He mentioned it was done because that was throwing a bone to the hardcore fans, letting us know that ok, now he's willing to move forward with CD ll.

So with taking Axl fuck ups into consideration (as much as I can) I'm guessing he'll find a way to release it before it will be 10 years without another album.

He knows he doesn't have much time left to tour such demanding material, he talked about it when he got that award. I would suspect he'd like to tour behind CD ll. Give the songs in it the chance to exist in a live setting.

I'm not optimistic when it comes to Gn'R, but I think we'll learn a few new things about CD ll in 2015, maybe even a release date and a title before that if we're lucky, and 2016 it will be released.

Edited by Rovim

A reunion seems even more possible than a new album at this point. What did Axl do in the last few years? Played new songs from CD2 or brought Izzy and Duff on stage? It shows the direction he's taking. Full on nostalgia. He has no interest in releasing new music from a band that doesn't even exist anymore.

When a band has delivered only one album of new material in over twenty years it's hard to get too hopeful that fans will see anything substantial for any given year.

Not even considering that the band that wrote and recorded that album, no longer exists.

I'm not sure if that really matters in terms of getting certain songs released. Axl wrote TIL long before all subsequent lineups (1997-2014). Nor does he seem to have any issues playing older songs that were co-written by people who are no longer in the band.

While I don't doubt that the departure of a member or two over the years hasn't delayed things here and there, I'm not sure if it prevents the release of their efforts so long as Axl still wants to get it out. If there are still a few Bucketed or Robin songs that Axl still likes, I'd fully expect them to be on the next album.

This is a genuine question for you if you care to answer - do you really think a new GNR album release is a more remote possibility than you thought Chinese Democracy's release was, say, 10 years ago? I'm curious because there were times I thought we'd never see that album, and I certainly wasn't alone in that. Circumstances (and the label) conspired to make sure it did eventually see the light of day. What makes you so certain that this couldn't eventually happen again?

Yes. Well, to start, Chinese Democracy had a name. That helped to create its myth and why not, its commercial name. It became sort of a brand. It totally helped to create a hype. Now Axl is older, the new band has not even written a song together, the music business is completely different and Axl hasn't really adapted to it. One song on Itunes and the music world would talk (briefly) about GNR again, for example. He refuses to do that. The band members all have their main projects and GNR is their side project, where they play 1-2 months a year and disband again.

The major factor is still Axl. He's probably too scared to face public criticism again. He seems happy with playing the old stuff and partying. I'm not sure he really likes what his current band brings to the table, Beta and TB don't push him to do anything because they're afraid to piss him off. He's happy as a Vegas entertainer. He speaks about new music on interviews to avoid even harder questions, probably. He's fine with being a bloated has been entertaining clueless South Americans who still think Slash is in the band.

Bottom line, he's fine being a shadow of himself. His voice seems to be gone, same for his passion. He'll make some more money while he still able to, release some anniversary AFD, UYI or CD edition and that's it. Could I be totally wrong? of course. I'm just judging what I can see, read, and hear. Is there a monumental plan to take GNR back to the highest heights of music? No. Plans for a new album? That's just naive. More touring and retirement plans? From what we can see, it's clearly the most likely option.

Great post.

I think it comes down to Axl not giving a shit anymore. He held the material for too long, thinking that people would still care. News Flash: Nobody cares outside the hardcore fanbase. Axl is not going to revolutionize the world with the Chinese Democracy follow-up.

I mean, how hard is to release a song through iTunes? One song. One. Fucking. Song. Not that hard. Tease your fanbase with new material. Give the middle finger to the detractors by saying "well, I still give a shit dumbass", but no, it's not gonna happen. Why? Because it's easier to scam the idiots who still pay to see the same show again and again, with an Axl who can't sing for shit, with a band that is performing songs they didn't write a single note to.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

Honestly though, do you really think Axl will wait 10 years between releases again? I know he's insane. I know it in my heart.

I wouldn't say he's insane though. It might look insane from a fan's perspective that he hasn't released anything in six years or only one album in 20, but from his perspective it might appear quite rational.

It would be insane if he were forced to live hand to mouth while holding back material, but considering the guy lives quite well, I'm not sure if it's fair to consider the guy insane simply because he chooses to release music when it makes sense to him.

Well, I'm with you barring two points.

The release of C.D. was botched, I doubt you'd disagree with that. If there was ever to be another album I think its release strategy would be markedly different to avoid building up a hype that the finished product can't possibly live up to, so I'm not surprised we've never been given a potential album title.

I also do think there are plans for a new album. When we're getting photos of studios and Fortus saying Axl's laying down vocals, I think its more likely to be true than some elaborate ruse. That said do I think any new album plans will actually come to fruition? I lean towards no, for the reasons I stated earlier in the thread (Axl disagreeing with the label, messing around adding new 'layers' for years, etc.)

Great post.

I think it comes down to Axl not giving a shit anymore.

Ok, since I'm being a civil motherfucker today, here's one for you if you care to field it. I agree, his spark has gone, perhaps even his self-belief. But - wouldn't you agree that happened sometime after 2010? What would you attribute that to, given it was 2 years after the album had come out and already underperformed? Why stop caring then?

• Like 1

But do we think Axl will be as meddling with the next album was he was with Chinese Democracy?

I've got to figure no. There isn't as much pressure on him this time around as there was with Chinese Democracy. Maybe his tastes in music have become more streamlined?

I don't know, but maybe Axl has different priorities this time around. Who's to say.

Going Down was leaked and got very positive reviews and was written up in Rolling Stone among other mags. So what did Axl and The Beta do to capitalize on that? The Beta railed against the leakers and leakees, saying that they ruin everything, or something to that effect. And Axl didn't comment nor did he officially release the song. Zero momentum again, no goodwill towards fans. Same old, same old.

• Like 1

But do we think Axl will be as meddling with the next album was he was with Chinese Democracy?

I've got to figure no. There isn't as much pressure on him this time around as there was with Chinese Democracy. Maybe his tastes in music have become more streamlined?

I don't know, but maybe Axl has different priorities this time around. Who's to say.

I fucking hope he's learned his lesson on that. Going Down gave me a bit of hope. Far more direct than anything on CD. We can only hope - it's a demo after all, who knows whether it was planned to have 16 layers of synths on the final version or not.

Axl could share 3 minutes of unreleased material with his starving fanbase with one or two clicks. He could put a 10 bucks price on it, he'd earn thousands of dollars in minutes. In Brazil only!

Also, please, let's not blame the label for anything. They just released his stupid DVD, I don't really think they would care if Axl decided to make ONE song available on the internet. Maybe they could find a way to make money from it?

The thing is Axl is not interested. Maybe he has a blast in the studio, and he could be working on some amazing vocals as we speak. He doesn't care about releasing them though. Maybe because he's insane, because he's a pussy, because he's afraid of Slash's reaction... No one knows.

3 minutes of music in the internet age, just post it on SoundCloud or YT you old fart, make the internet less of a big garbage can! (Unless the song sounds like anything from CD).

I'm not sure if that really matters in terms of getting certain songs released. Axl wrote TIL long before all subsequent lineups (1997-2014). Nor does he seem to have any issues playing older songs that were co-written by people who are no longer in the band.

While I don't doubt that the departure of a member or two over the years hasn't delayed things here and there, I'm not sure if it prevents the release of their efforts so long as Axl still wants to get it out. If there are still a few Bucketed or Robin songs that Axl still likes, I'd fully expect them to be on the next album.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say he didn't want to release This I Love? Also, we don't know if the version he had back then was similar to the one that was released as a final product. See, people like to compare the CD situation with the follow-up situation just because Axl has said that the follow-up is "the second half" of Chinese Democracy, but being objective, the situations are really different.

I'm not saying that the departure of certain member has affected the release of the "new" album, I'm just saying that how things were done in the past can't be replicated now. Why? For starters, the second half of Chinese -- as Axl calls it -- include material from people that no longer work with Axl. What are you guys expecting? Axl releasing Buckethead and Robin Finck's 10-year-old songs and Bumblefoot promoting the album? I mean... :lol:

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say he didn't want to release This I Love? Also, we don't know if the version he had back then was similar to the one that was released as a final product. See, people like to compare the CD situation with the follow-up situation just because Axl has said that the follow-up is "the second half" of Chinese Democracy, but being objective, the situations are really different.

I'm not saying that the departure of certain member has affected the release of the "new" album, I'm just saying that how things were done in the past can't be replicated now. Why? For starters, the second half of Chinese -- as Axl calls it -- include material from people that no longer work with Axl. What are you guys expecting? Axl releasing Buckethead and Robin Finck's 10-year-old songs and Bumblefoot promoting the album? I mean... :lol:

I believe Axl said the band, not sure what members though, convinced him to put This I Love on CD.

Ok, since I'm being a civil motherfucker today, here's one for you if you care to field it. I agree, his spark has gone, perhaps even his self-belief. But - wouldn't you agree that happened sometime after 2010? What would you attribute that to, given it was 2 years after the album had come out and already underperformed? Why stop caring then?

That's not an easy question and I think you know that.

Let's see, it could be matter of what we choose to believe. Do we believe that Axl did not want to tour in 2010 and he cancelled all the gigs through Twitter or, do we believe that his account was hacked? Whatever the answer is, I think we can agree that Axl simply killed the 2010 tour with great vocals and performances and that could lead us to believe that he still cared, right? So, if we take that into consideration, what do we do with the lack of promotion of the album? What do we do with Axl explicitly saying that he didn't want to promote the album because it didn't have the "right" artwork? Maybe, his intentions were different up until 2010... or not. It's hard to know what's inside Axl's mind but these last years are suggesting that whatever his intentions were back then, they have changed -- completely.

I like tomfriend when he's a civil motherfucker.

• Like 1

He may not have as much pressure, but it does seem to me he's still insecure and nervous about releasing new shit seeing as he's still tinkering away on material that has been claimed to have been finished ages ago.

And the pressure thing works against him too, because how much of shit can the label give? How much faith can they honestly in him as a creative entity at this point? You think they're willing to give him the Macy's day parade worth of promotion he apparently wanted last time? The lack of promotion he was bitching about in that leaked recording of him at that party? Still seems to me he's delusional enough to demand that again. And there's no way in hell the labels gonna give it to him. And around and around we go.

There's just no way in hell it's happening while he's breathing.

Just release the best completed tracks but release something dammit! I've tried being positive with this new lineup since maybe 2000. I'd seriously mark out if Axl released something on New Years. Start the year off with positive vibes, embrace today's way of releasing music to fans.

Just release the best completed tracks but release something dammit! I've tried being positive with this new lineup since maybe 2000. I'd seriously mark out if Axl released something on New Years. Start the year off with positive vibes, embrace today's way of releasing music to fans.

I'd say no chance for that to happen. That is not how Axl works, or at least worked in the past. He's pretty old fashioned when it comes to album releases as a musician. Heh. It feels funny calling Axl a musician in 2014.

It's the complete opposite of how Izzy does things. Even Adler still manages to release shit between rehab stints.

It all falls on Axl right now cause he's the only one that holds the key for anything constructive but then again, he's not confident enough to even share new information or talk about a release or even give us an album title.

6 years after Chinese, we should be given an idea of how it's going to go down and when. Any other band. :facepalm:

Edited by Rovim