Axl perfection dilemma: Lyrics vs. Instrumental vs. Voice

I'm not sure why it's said that he's such a perfectionist all the time. Clearly he isn't, take a listen to Chinese Democracy. Half the songs on there are absolutely horrible and the rest which are somewhat listenable could have been made a hundred times better if he did some things different. Or just take a look at his band. Would he have brought in people like Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, DJ, Dizzy, Pitman, Frank, etc. if he was a perfectionist? Most of them are not only mediocre studio musicians, they're terrible live as well.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why it's said that he's such a perfectionist all the time. Clearly he isn't, take a listen to Chinese Democracy. Half the songs on there are absolutely horrible and the rest which are somewhat listenable could have been made a hundred times better if he did some things different. Or just take a look at his band. Would he have brought in people like Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, DJ, Dizzy, Pitman, Frank, etc. if he was a perfectionist? Most of them are not only mediocre studio musicians, they're terrible live as well.

It's not like the songs on Chinese Democracy havent been worked on! I think it's pretty clear he's a perfectionist

Bucket is terrible live? lol. Silly. So silly. He's one of the best guitar players in the world and his talent and flawless control over the guitar as an instrument are undeniable. He's amazing. Shame on you.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Also: Buckethead was the right choice for new Guns, for what Axl was trying to do artistically. Chinese proves it imo.

Agreed , the only point I'd like to say with bucket was he needed to slow down, plays way too fast, thought that back in 2002

• Like 1

I think the revolving door of musicians has confused him about what to replace, what to leave in, what do layer with whom, what to scrap, what songs to completely rework, what new concepts with these guys strengths and suggestions to pursue, what the record label might've liked, endless obsession with touring the same album and hits getting in the way... it's a damn quagmire. Or maybe he hasn't even contemplated any of it since releasing CD.

Also: Buckethead was the right choice for new Guns, for what Axl was trying to do artistically. Chinese proves it imo.

Agreed , the only point I'd like to say with bucket was he needed to slow down, plays way too fast, thought that back in 2002

That's just how Bucket rolls. Can't slow that roll. If you do, then it won't be Bucket. Besides, he can slow it the fuck down when he wants to. Does that a lot actually in his solo work and on Chinese.

His Street Of Dreams outro, There Was A Time outro, and Sorry solo, just to name a few, all show he can do the slow thing as well, but if you're a Bucket fan you already know that from listening to his solo albums.

Edited by Rovim

Would he have brought in people like Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, DJ, Dizzy, Pitman, Frank, etc. if he was a perfectionist? Most of them are not only mediocre studio musicians, they're terrible live as well.

tumblr_lsxg9jrtc51qfslif.jpg

• Like 2

What do you think is holding up Axl the most in his quest for perfection? Writing the lyrics or anything to do with the sound? Or do you think it's shared equally between all of them?

I think it's a myth and cop-out that axl's a perfectionist and it's really a crutch for a guy that's got a confidence complex. If Axl was such a perfectionist, than why have his live performances been so inconisisttent and why is he so out of shape.

I don't believe the "perfection" excuse for a second, it's gotta be pure laziness with no ambition that's causing no new music to come out of the GnR camp. After the reception ChiDem received and how average concert-goers seem to only want to hear 80's-90's material in shows, it becomes pointless to write new music that the majority won't care about. All the talk about heading into the studio just seems like PR talk to keep people talking about Guns.

An Axl solo album would be ideal at this stage rather than another album released under Guns N' Roses.

I think his voice holds up recording/new album. Can't imagine it's a coincidence that Axl went into the studio straight after Vegas 14, when his vocals were the strongest they've been since 2010.

Can't imagine if he really wants to lay new vocals for 10-15 year old unreleased songs

That part I'm not sure about. I can see Axl getting rid of parts he doesn't like and re recording, or maybe he's doing harmonies. Or maybe there's music, new or old, that doesn't have vocals yet. Who knows... I guess we'll wait and hopefully see...

If you just take a look at the Wikipedia quote you had you have it there. Flawlessness is the opposite thing from everything I mentioned. No matter what you may think about Chinese Democracy or any of the musicians he hired, flawlessness isn't a word that would apply to any of them. Neither does it apply to him. If he was striving for flawlessness maybe he'd actually prepare before a tour and not use the first three months to warm up his voice. Just one example of thousands that could be made.

If you just take a look at the Wikipedia quote you had you have it there. Flawlessness is the opposite thing from everything I mentioned. No matter what you may think about Chinese Democracy or any of the musicians he hired, flawlessness isn't a word that would apply to any of them. Neither does it apply to him. If he was striving for flawlessness maybe he'd actually prepare before a tour and not use the first three months to warm up his voice. Just one example of thousands that could be made.

Are we talking about perfectionism or just doing what you want to do when you want to do it? I think there's a distinct difference, also I guess people can be perfectionist about some things and not others, it's possibly more OCD than anything else.

It's not about what you LIKE, but what the artist THINKS is good that determines if it's perfectionism. I'll agree that you can maybe question the live performances post 2011 as perfectionism, but as Alfierose says it could apply to different things. There is no doubt however, that traditionally, Axl has been a perfectionist when recording music. No doubt at all. For example did he record the vocals on AFD line for line. A lot of songs have been changed over the years. Lyrics added etc. The long wait for the next album implies that it's still the case. But yeah, hard to say what's going on after 2011.

Back on topic though, he does change the lyrics quite often, doesn't he? And album titles? And I guess some of the songs doesn't even have lyrics added to them yet?

I don't think it's about being a perfectionist as much as him being very insecure. At least not with everything about the band after Slash and Duff left. Okay that he may have been a bit overly obsessed about getting the perfect sound when recording November Rain for example, but I imagine his insecurities are more responsible for the CD things. Also, his live performances were far from flawless before 2011. 2006 seems to be the only tour he has properly prepared himself for in his career. He could get away with it in the 80's and 90's on pure vocal power, stage presence, charisma and passion in the early days, but even then it was a hit and miss from night to night whether he gave a good performance. Had he been a perfectionist he'd have prepared much better and not left so much to chance.

Edit: I don't have the energy for this. He's not as much of a perfectionist people want to have him be, he just isn't. That's just the way it is. I'm out.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt
  • Like 1